Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Zesty 514 or 714 or something else?
  • vblue
    Free Member

Have a Trek Fuel Ex8 at the moment, really like it but it feels slightly too big (it's an XL). So thinking of changing it for a Lapierre, which I've always loved the look of. Had originally planned to go for a 2010 Zesty 514 but like the thought of the carbon frame on the 714.

The Ex8 has lots of upgrades, DT wheels etc, and I normally ride XC, mainly at Glentress and other 7 stanes sites.

Looking for some views, is the 714 worth the extra £900 or should I stick to the 514? Or is there something else that I should be considering?

Cheers

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

a large fuel ex8?

igm

Something else

igm

Far too trendy last year – about to get knocked down this year. Though to be fair the one I rode wasn't half bad – but a bit like a Specialized to be honest

theheckler
    Free Member

I rode a Pronghorn and was amazed how well it rode and how light it w as ,carbon as well.
    Well worth a look or maybe forget looking and ride one instead

FuzzyWuzzy

Not sure if the full carbon is worth an extra £900 (if you can afford it why not though? :p ) but it's hard not to recommend the Zesty. There's a lot of other bikes worth considering to but the Zesty isn't because it's trendy, it's because it's a bloody good bike.

vblue
    Free Member

It's an XL Trek (21.5").

I've had a ride on the 514 and loved it. Not tried the 714 yet though. To be honest, I'm not into throwing money away, would stretch to a 714 if the extra £900 was worth i, but hoping someone with a better knowledge of the relative components of the two would give me a view as to whether it is worth it.

Pronghorn is an interesting shout. Have seen pics, and thought it looked strange 😆 with the suspension on top of the tt. Don't know anyone who owns one though or how easy they are to get in the uk

igm – what something else would you recommend?

jimmy

How about a Chumba XCL? That what I have my eyes on once I'm in gainful employment.

http://www.progressive-bikes.co.uk/chumba.html

vblue
    Free Member

I need a full-bike, rather than a frame. No way would I fancy riding something down the trails that had been built by my clubhands! lol

si-wilson
    Free Member

I could spec an XCL full build for around £2.5k with some very tasty kit on it, best of both worlds, boutique frame and top kit and put together by me 🙂

Email me for details info@progressive-bikes.co.uk

robholland
    Free Member

To be fair the bikes are pretty much identical apart from carbon and ali frames. Both have same wheels, forks, crankset etc, only main difference is between slx, xt, xtr combination of drivetrain between the two. Plus slight changes with seatpost etc which you could pick up secondhand cheap. And that fact there is a 500 gram weight difference but thats nothing really. The 514 has a carbon rear anyway, so i would say its just mainly the full carbon frame. What about a specialized enduro..

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Merida 96 3500 (abut £3500 now).
    I had one on demo in the summer and took it out on a club ride for everyone to try. No one found anything bad to say about it, even the diehard hardtail owners.

khewett
    Free Member

i had same dilema, was going for a zesty 514 or spesh enduro, but ended up with the zesty 714, carbon frmae is worth extra £ imo if you can afford it.

its a GREAT bike too, its not all just hype

vblue
    Free Member

What made you go for the 714 over the 514 khewett, was it the carbon frame?

I am still feeling the love for the Zestys!

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

vblue – loads of demo Pronghorn bikes at http://www.flyingfoxbikes.com

In Scotland but they can get about.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Zesty 514 or 714 or something else?’ is closed to new replies.