Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Zebra crossings – pedestrian / cyclist interface
  • inkster
    Free Member

Just read about the Jon Snow cycling 'scandal' in the Daily Heil. Obvious b*llocks. Amongst other "crimes', he is accused of riding through a zebra crossing with a ped on it at the time, who yells at him.

Truth is, pedestrians tend to listen out for cars rather than look when they step out into the road and then get distressed when there's a bike traveling at 15/20 mph about a foot away from them. Cue the indignant response from said ped. No allowance is made for stopping distance.

T'other day similar thing happened to me & better half. Ped saw us just in time but still continued to cross indignantly as was his 'right and motioned as if to push us off'. We both swerved to avoid him but I'm still asking myself why I didn't just plough straight into him, [he was a proper c*** so I wouldn't have felt too bad about it!]

large418
    Free Member

Although you may think you are correct, you should have anticipated the ped about to cross, and adjusted your riding accordingly (ie. stopped). If taking a driving test, you would have failed.

But I agree, it's hardly a scandal worth reporting in any kind of comic

psychle
    Free Member

Yep, it's not like you can't see the 'ped' approaching the crossing and anticipate that he/she is going to use it 🙄 You're in the wrong guv'ner, sorry 😆

MrSalmon
    Free Member

As above, it shouldn't be a surprise to you when people step onto zebra crossings. That said, the laws of physics trump technically being in the right so it's pretty daft to just step out regardless of what's coming.

meehaja
    Free Member

hmm, not illegal if no contact was made, since you only need to giveway to pedestrians. This is worded to imply that you can drive behind them before they are fully off the road, but as a cyclist you could cross, assuming it wasn't casuing the ped to stop or adjust their speed giving you priority. That said, if it went to court the daily mail would find you guilty and hang you as is appropriate for such crimes.

poppa
    Free Member

When i'm approaching a zebra crossing I look to see if any peds are potential crossers and make sure I can stop if they do decide to go for it.

inkster
    Free Member

So you all slow down to a near dead stop every time you come up to a zebra crossing? ……Yeah' right! Be realistic.

In general, you have to anticipate pedestrians crossing the road everywhere and all the time, not just at crossings, it's par for the course when cycling city streets. Don,t usually get worked up about it, bit of give and take and all that…….What concerned me was his intention to push me off the bike. I'm not talking about the absent minded pedestrian here, I'm talking about the aggressive and indignant moron.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

So you all slow down to a near dead stop every time you come up to a zebra crossing? ……Yeah' right! Be realistic.

A bit of anticipation != coming to a dead stop, so no.
    But agreed that trying to push you off is out of order.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Zebra crossings – pedestrian / cyclist interface’ is closed to new replies.