• This topic has 25 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by alpin.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Ze Germans..
  • rossatease
    Free Member

I note even they have taken to the absurdity of flying flags from car rear windows on sticks like their British moron cousins.

Still I guess it’s nice to see a bit of National Pride shamelessly on display, there’s a right Carnival atmosphere in the towns and villages I drove through yesterday..

chambord
    Free Member

Must be something to do with Greipel taking that stage win.

johndoh
    Free Member

I have never done it here in the UK, but had we been in a World Cup Final I think I would.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Combining the two things they do best in the world

Football and Cars

Good on em

chewkw
    Free Member

Yes, can fly their flag however they wish coz they are in the Final unlike their cousin in UK who only managed the first round poorly … 😆

thegeneralist
    Free Member

There was a question ages back about the whole ABE thing that goes on North [and presumably west] of the border. The 1st and 5th comments above show how ABE comes about.

chambord
    Free Member

ABE

?

zippykona

I’ll be cheering them on.

rossatease
    Free Member

zippykona – Member
    I’ll be cheering them on.

Yes I guess we will be as well, one of the prospective son in laws is a Bavarian (It’s another country except in instances like this).

I’ll be told to refrain from humming my usual refrain ‘Two world wars and a world cup too – do dah’ ‘It’s not funny any more dad, nobody can remember 1966.’

‘And they went back to work the next day,’ will come the retort.

molgrips
    Free Member

There was a question ages back about the whole ABE thing that goes on North [and presumably west] of the border.

Now I know I don’t live in the truest of Welsh heartlands but I’ve really not noticed much of that. I have met people who are ABE but Wales are so shite at football that a lot of people don’t see England as rivals so are happy to support them, at least mildly. I think without sporting rivalry you have to be a bit racist to insist on ABE.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I noticed the BBC have been correctly chided for referring to singing of “Deutsland Uber Alles” during the semi, they haven’t sung that since the war.

As a Brit a choice between Germany and Argentina is a tough one but I’ll be cheering on Germany.

chambord
    Free Member

chambord – Member

ABE

?
    [/quote]

Ah I’ve worked it out now.

zippykona

In the tour I am ABC.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes, I’ll definitely be cheering for the Germans. Klose to home, which helps, we’re probably slightly more related to them, and..well.. Argentina… I mean… I could never…

tonyg2003

I was talking to some American colleagues today and they asked me who I’d be supporting. It the ultimate football dilemma for a brit. What do you want – probably it to be remembered as the most boring final ever?

rossatease
    Free Member

No prizes for guessing who the Germans would support in an unlikely England v Argentina world cup final…

iolo
    Free Member

I know quite a few, have quite a few friends and speak a bit of German.
    It’s quite a beautiful country too. I have no interest in football mind.

rossatease
    Free Member

It’s a wonderful country, I saw a side of it yesterday I’d not seen before, travelling to the island of Fehmarn, it was sunny 24 degrees stayed light til gone 10., beach tourists everywhere wit a bit of a Mediterranean feel but with beer gardens.
    I normally do Southern Gemany which is also nice, Gods own country, lakes and Alps, a well ordered society, they don’t take any crap, excellent Public Transport, trains actually run on time, roads improving, what’s not to like.

Marge
    Free Member

I got to watch the semi in a bar in Hamburg.

German people are sound. Can’t really understand why Britain think they are so different.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I don’t like football & have not watched a single minute of Ze World Cup. However I vill be behind Germany, (even though I won’t be watching it)
    I quite like Ze Germans & find them chatty & friendly, never met an Argentinian. (A mate of mine met some in The Falklands in May 1982 mind but thats a different story)
    Plus we’ve got 3 German cars in the household.

rickmeister

There is a flag here at home thats big enough to be seen from space…. and sorry, ABE… I cantt crack the code on this one ..

Del

Can’t really understand why Britain think they are so different.

probably all that war stuff. FWIW i’ve never felt more welcomed in europe than when i’ve been in germany

rossatease
    Free Member

Mostly we’re pretty much the same, well the Anglo Saxon bits of us. On an Individual level they live love laugh just like us, all this petty Royalist or politico induced nationalist angst was nothing to do with us, one reason it’s a shame the European Experiment is failing for us, but that’s down to our own neo liberal ruling class screwing things for us.

mccraque

Seems it’s a one way thing this German/Anglo rivalry. They see the Dutch as rivals. Not us Brits. They do have a sense of humor- singing “footballs coming home at wembley”last year for instance. I’m writing this from cologne- they’re slightly apprehensive but looking forward to Sunday.

I’m married to the Bosch btw. One thing we do have In common is a healthy dislike of he French.

Caher

The Germans I have lived and worked amongst were some of the nicest and humourous people I ever met. They were mainly southern Germans though. Americans were a different story when you looked beyond the shiny teeth.

alpin
    Free Member

lived in the Vaterland for the last 6.5 years. all of that time has been spent in Bavaria and most of it in Munic; one of zthe best places to live in the world according to the UN and others.

the Germans are not much different to the Brits. a little colder when meeting people in the street for the first time and the humour isn’t quite the same.
    remember when i first got here and could speak very little German. asked one of my chippy colleagues what he was up to that eveing. “Building a bed” he said. “For you?”, I asked. “Ja”. “you should have said it was for the ladies”, i replied laughing. he chuckled and then told me “But it is a big bed”, “Why, do you like ficken big ladies?”.
    he didn’t speak to me for the rest of the day. i thought my reply was right funny and would have surely got a good response on a UK building site.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Ze Germans..’ is closed to new replies.