Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Zane Lowe & Radio 1 re-scoring Drive
  • PrinceJohn

Quite intrigued by this, just listening to Zane Lowe & will definitely be interested to see it on Thursday.

One of my favourite films of the last few years, & always thought one of it’s strong points was it’s soundtrack…

PrinceJohn

Anyone during the day shift have an opinion on this!?

Del

also intrigued, but only saw a trailer for it last night. is this the thing he’s copped a load of flak for? heard half a story last week about him getting some grief about something.
    get how clued-up I am! 😀

Jamie
    Free Member

I really, and I mean REALLY, liked the original score by Cliff Martinez. So have the feeling I will hate it. Will record it, and have a skip through.

DezB
    Free Member

Ooh, what’s this? When’s it on? Will I have to listen to Zane Lowe’s voice?

Second time around I quite liked the film, but still absolutely hated the soundtrack…

Del

thursday, 10pm on bbc 3, IIRC

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

The new score, curated by Lowe, will feature new exclusives from artists including The 1975, Bastille, Bring Me The Horizon, CHVRCHES, Eric Prydz, Foals, and Laura Mvula

Hmm.

Set to record, so, we’ll see.

andysredmini
    Free Member

As a fan of Drive and especially the soundtrack I cant imagine this can add anything to the film. Part of why I like the film so much is the drama from music.
    I have the original soundtrack but only really listen to the few tracks with vocals. The instrumental are boring on their own but they fit the film perfectly.

I’m will watch the re-score but it has a lot to live up to.

PrinceJohn

When I first heard about it – as much as I like Zane Lowe I did think what are they doing, but having listened to what who & what’s involved & the interview with the movies director last night I am now properly looking forward to it.

It could be amazing, or it could be car crash (sorry pun intended a little bit…)

BoardinBob

Next week: Zane Lowe remakes The Godfather with the cast of Hollyoaks

PrinceJohn

Zane Lowe Simon Cowell remakes The Godfather with the cast of Hollyoaks

DezB
    Free Member

Next week: Zane Lowe remakes The Godfather with the cast of Hollyoaks

Well, I wouldn’t watch that. But I’m watching Drive again. Which is something I thought would never happen! Much better so far 😉
    I really did cringe at that cheesy 80s throwback shite in the original.

Pook

Next week: Zane Lowe remakes Simon Cowell with the cast of the Godfather

Speeder

I have no idea what the original soundtrack sounded like but I thought the re-score was pretty successful. Certainly kept the stillness and calmness I do remember from the first time I saw it.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Just happened to be listening to the Radio (whilst getting steel splinters from braided hose in my toes) and Mr Lowes enthusiasm convinced me to watch it.

That dude is a badass.

Next Week:

Zane Lowe remakes Simon Cowell without a PR agent to protect his reputation, to the music of Benny Hill

isto
    Free Member

Have to say that Bastille track he put on is awesome. Made me shazam and then YouTube so must be good.

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

Playlist link anyone?

spud-face

Just finished watching and, save for a couple of moments, was very impressed. I’ve not seen it in original form though, will have to look that up over the weekend.

somafunk

I thought the original was (film and soundtrack) pretty damn near perfect, saying that everything can be tweaked that little bit more so i listened to Zanes music score with an open mind but i have to say i was disappointed none the less – the tempo of some of the chosen songs along with the transitions between scenes and introductions just did not gell with the cinematography and the vocal’s detracted from the atmospheric feeling of the film.

The two standout tracks that did catch my attention were Chvrches and Jon Hopkins, i guess that’s to be expected as i’m a big fan of them anyway but i felt that they could have sat better in the film with a bit more thought and subtlty put into the mixing of them throughout the chosen scenes.

You tried but a poor attempt Zane – you have an fantastic grasp of musical knowledge but as your DJ mixing shows (in his live club sets) you have a poor knowledge of tempo and how to build tension without resorting to banging/forcing tracks in.

I’m going to watch the original friday night and relish in the original soundtrack, with the sub turned up to bowel trembling levels.

JCL
    Free Member

The guy isn’t fit to clean Mr Martinez shoes.

wrecker
    Free Member

It was/is a crap film anyway. All style no substance, and Ryan Gosling is mono expressive. I have no idea how he is a famous actor, considering he can’t act.
    I would have been interested to see/hear Zanes’ score but I ain’t sitting through that shit again.

dlr

Great film, bad rescore. Whilst some of the tracks were ok, others were totally out of place and my main issue was there being far more music than in the original presumably to spice up some of the slower scenes but the quiet dark atmosphere of them is what makes them so great in the original

DezB
    Free Member

I have no idea what the original soundtrack sounded like but I thought the re-score was pretty successful. Certainly kept the stillness and calmness I do remember from the first time I saw it.

Similar to my thoughts. I really notice when there’s music I don’t like in a film, in a shop, on a street… so the original soundtrack made the whole film seem really naff and cheesy to me. Definitely style over substance. I think I used the phrase ‘Try-hard’ when I first mentioned it on here. As in trying so hard to be cool, it came out the opposite.
    The rescore music was far less noticeable and made the film more dramatic.
    Can’t stand Zane Lowe, but I think he did a good job.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Is the film on iPlayer or repeated by any chance? This is the first I have heard about it.

alpin
    Free Member

just watched… all a bit “meh”.

film wasn’t all that it was hyped up to be. music… take it or leave it.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Well, after watching it… ‘oops’.

I think the problem was that whilst Martinez really had the atmosphere of the film nailed, only about half of the rescore artists did.

noteeth
    Free Member

I’m a closed mind on this… I’d refuse to watch it with anything other than the original (& superb, IMO) score.

souldrummer
    Free Member

I’ve never watched the original so had nothing to go on. To be honest I thought the film was a bit of a non event; lots of mumbling and not a single character I could care about; I had to watch it in two parts as I really couldn’t get into it.
    With regard to the music, I thought it was OK, but it reminded me of some of the Skins soundtracks.

arrpee
    Free Member

Definitely seems to polarise people, this movie.

When I heard about the Zane Lowe project, my immediate thought was that the only move less in need of a re-score would be ‘Jaws’.

In the end it was a fun exercise, but not wholly successful. Liked the Chvrches track though.

Which film would you like to see re-scored, and by whom?

Trent Reznor does ‘Bambi’?

DezB
    Free Member

Drive by Right Said Fred

retro83
    Free Member

real human bean and a real hero

real human bean

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I was tempted to watch this only to see if it turned a poor film into a half-decent one. The original was one of the biggest film disappointments of recent years for me.

gatsby
    Free Member

I watched this over the weekend, I’d never seen it but as a Radio1 listener and a fan of some of the artists involved, I was keen to give it a go.

The film was OK, I felt like the director was desperate to kindle some non-existent chemistry between the 2 leads.

Quite liked some of the other characters – the recently-released husband, Walter White, the hitman and the man with the face, but I found it too heavy on moody suspense scenes, and as mentioned above, a bit “Try Hard With A Vengeance”… Toothpick? Really?? 🙄

I thought some of the music was stunning – having heard a lot of it last week, I was disappointed that the Biffy Bloke’s track was so truncated, but loved the Chvches, 1975 and Bastille pieces.

Overall, very enjoyable and as a fan of the reimagined film poster movement that’s gathering so much momentum in the States, I thought it was a brilliant project with some brilliant talent involved.

I’ll probably watch the original at some point soon for comparison.

G

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Zane Lowe & Radio 1 re-scoring Drive’ is closed to new replies.