Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • YT Industries – Capra question
  • Trimix
    Free Member

Foolishly I did a few demo rides of new bikes recently (Whyte / Scott)

Now I find myself thinking my otherwise perfect bike is not as new and shiny as it could be.

While in Afan I saw in the flesh a YT Capra and really liked the look of it, the reviews seem good as well.

Does anyone own one I can sit on for size. I’m not sure what size I need. I’m 5 foot 11 and ride a medium Transition Covert. But bike sizes tend to be unique to each make (Santa Cruz seem to be smaller for example)

Any real world experiences ?

Thanks.

Milkie
    Free Member

Have a look on the massive PinkBike Thread (675+ pages). Your question has been asked many times on that thread. 😉

catvet
    Free Member

Capra seems short in top tube and reach, as modern geometry trends seem to be going longer, so large or extra large would prob be ok, problem then lies with a long seat tube if using a dropper post.
    To get an idea of current but not extreme geometry look at Kona process or Orange 5 or Alpine, this style of bike is long slack and low BUT with a short seat tube to accommodate dropper posts.

Trimix
    Free Member

Cheers Milkie , I will wade through that 675 page thread 🙂

Anyone here actually got one I can sit on ?

traildog
    Free Member

There is a UK YT owners group on Facebook, you can ask on that for a sit on one.
    I would say you probably want a large.

qwertyuiop7
    Free Member

They look great value, even more so with the way the euro exchange rate is at the moment
    Trouble is I want the Aluminium framed one for a trip in 3 weeks but its not available till end of August 🙁

choff
    Free Member

I am 6ft with 33″ inside leg and the large Capra is just big enough, may have been able to get away with XL but would not be able to go for 150mm dropper

Rosss
    Free Member

I’m 6ft and I find my Capra pretty small, good in the seat tube with the 150mm reverb but a little short and low on the front for me, so I’d say definately large for you. I’m going to try some wider higher rise bars next. Where in the country are you?

DeeW
    Free Member

Thought long and hard about buying one myself before got a deal on a used Canyon Strive. Only weak point seems to be the e13 wheels on the carbon bikes.

You want a large I’d say. I’m 5’8″ and the reach on the large felt about right, but wouldn’t fit me due to the seat tube length and 150mm dropper.

And they do seem to cut their steerer tubes very short for some stupid reason!

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

I’m 5’10” and ride a medium, a friend at 6′ rides a large.

I’m perfectly happy on mine but some people on the capra thread are sizing up when they’re the same height as me.

My last bike was the right size for me, so i measured up against it to try and get an idea of where the changes were. By and large it was fairly similar although a little longer than the older bike so I decided to follow YTs sizing guide.

If you’re looking for something longer, size up. You could always pull the reverb out and fit a smaller one.

If you’re down south I can probably arrange for you have a sit on mine but we’re away from friday so it’ll have to be towards the end of the month…

Trimix
    Free Member

Cheers, reading every 10th page of that massive thread and I too got the impression I should go for a Large.

Rosss, I’m near Oxford, but happy to travel quite a distance to check before buying a bike online.

I also read the e13 wheels are pants, but are the Mavic’s any better ?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

couldn’t you get your King hubs rebuilt into nice wheels, even if you want to sell the Covert as a full-build you could put “new” wheels on it and still come out on top (eg. used Hope Pro 2 wheels go for ~150 quid)

Trimix
    Free Member

Could do, but its more faff.

I need to see what the outcome is from Biketarts rear hub issue he had. He kept getting play in it and the shop didn’t have the tool to “preload” it. Despite selling him the bike.

Not sure why it needed “preloading”, sounds like they were just going to tighten up a crap hub/bearing combination to me.

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

I’ve got the Crossmaxes. The rear rim is quite soft and 20 spokes is on the weaker side.

My friend who has one is on about changing the rear out for a nukeproof generator. I’ve decided I’ll wait until I’ve killed mine then look at building a Deemax hub onto a crossmax front rim (I read somewhere it can be done).

From what I’ve heard of the E13 rims, the problems with the freehub came about because the pawls/springs were useless. Apparently E13 were issuing warranty replacements for rims which broke and have subsequently updated.

(I read most of the thread up but stopped in June as I got bored of the same conversations over and over).

Rosss
    Free Member

I’m Lichfield based but in Cornwall for the next 6 weeks if that’s any use

curiousyellow
    Free Member

I think you need a large. I’m on a medium round Reading way if that helps.

E13 wheels have been fine on a trip to Spain. Can’t say I ride anywhere that the terrain is more demanding than that. I’ve not run them in any serious muddy conditions though.

Trimix
    Free Member

curiousyellow – If I come armed with beer, can I have a sit on your bike then 🙂

Rosss – much as I love Cornwall, its a bit far from me.

wiggles
    Free Member

Why didn’t you like the whytes or scots

warns74
    Free Member

There’s a few mentions of XL capras on this thread, I didnt think that even existed?

Trimix
    Free Member

I did like them.

The Whyte was great, but for their top model it had a few niggles that put me off given the price. I like the idea of adjustable suspension, but you had to let go of the bars, flip the switch and then ride. You wouldn’t do that with your reverb. Plus I found the Descend mode on the rear shock blew through its travel, meaning I just left it in trail – so it became pointless. Also my calf kept getting shredded by the pivot bolts on the shock rocker, the edges are sharp.

The Scott had it all, apart from 32mm forks, which are just too noodley for a fat rider like me.

Small things you could adjust / live with. But for top of the range bikes I really wanted there to be fewer niggles.

I also like the Euro exchange rate and bloody cheap price for the high spec Capra. The equivalent Scott was over £6k. Seems from the write ups it should suit my riding preference and end up lighter than my current bike.

chakaping
    Free Member

There’s a few mentions of XL capras on this thread, I didnt think that even existed?

Aluminium version.

legend
    Free Member

singletrackstinker – Member
    look at building a Deemax hub onto a crossmax front rim (I read somewhere it can be done).

It probably can (did you hear about it through EWS chat per chance?) but you may well struggle to get the parts

jsinglet

I’m a bit over 5’10, I tried a Medium Capra at forest of dean. It was OK, I sat on a Large but I couldn’t sit on it with the seatpost extended. You could potentially get a smaller drop post though.

I wasn’t blown away though, I’ve got a Specialized Enduro for a similar price and much prefer it.

Bedds
    Free Member

I’m 5’10 and sat on a large, it felt ok, but only ok, I tried the medium and it felt great, mine should be here in the next four weeks all being well. I’m by the FOD, if you can wait that long you can have a try of it then

andykentos
    Free Member

I bought a comp 1 in February, arrived fast, did have a minor rub mark on the crown of the forks but very quickly got over it.

i live in the Alps and have to say the bike rocks, i own a long travel hardtail and a freeride bike and havent ridden either since i got the capra. It is literally my go to bike now, climbs remarkably well for a 160 bike and descends better than my faith.

Got one paint crack just behind the steerer but doesnt seem to be getting any worse. Super satisfied with the bike, honestly think its the best bike i have owned, looking forward to trying it in Scotland in Autumn.

Regarding the e13 wheels, i think if the majority of your riding is dry there are awesome. I have had no problems with them, couple of dents in the sidewall but still running true.

Just feel i should put out a good word for them as if you read the pinkbike forum it seems a lot of bad mouthing. Everytime i ride my capra i am glad i bought it over a reign.

enigmas
    Free Member

I demoed a large and being 6ft1 (186cm) it felt miles too short, to the point where I felt very high up on the bike which made the whole thing feel unstable.

I also had the chance to demo an XL that felt absolutely spot on and like a different bike. It also doesn’t look like a gate like some XL bikes, I put a pic up in the pinkbike thread somewhere. Shame no carbon version yet. I ride an XL mega am 275 for reference.

Also get one with Bos suspension if you can. Massive leap up from the pike/monarch plus.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

@trimix

Not drinking at the moment, or eating any processed carbs 🙁

My e-mail is in my profile. Drop us one if you want and maybe we can even go for a ride round Swinley Forest if you’re not a trail centre snob!

Trimix
    Free Member

@curiousyellow

Email sent. Cheers.

Swinley is fine and thanks for the offer 🙂 The more I read the harder it is to make a decision on the size.

A lot are going for L, but every now and again you read a comment like Bedds’s up there and think, mmm…., perhaps M would be fine.

The Whyte in M flavour I demoed initially felt too small, but after three days of riding it I felt it was fine.

I think part of the problem is being a height that’s close to both M and L. Also anything that’s different to your current ride just feels odd for a while before you can make a proper judgement.

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

legend – Member
    singletrackstinker – Member
    look at building a Deemax hub onto a crossmax front rim (I read somewhere it can be done).
    It probably can (did you hear about it through EWS chat per chance?) but you may well struggle to get the parts

Not quite sure where I saw it reported and haven’t really looked in to the possibility of getting the parts. I’d assumed getting a deemax hub wouldn’t be too difficult and the same for the rim. I also hadn’t considered whether a deemax hub would even fit.

Fingers crossed I don’t break my wheel!

stevede
    Free Member

My 26″ front enduro rim is built on a rear crossmax sx hub – not sure what spokes you’d use for the 650b combo but it’s definitely achievable.

Northwind

Mavic might be able to tell you the parts- they supply it as a build to sponsored riders and their race truck carries them too.

Sizewise, my tiny mate got a medium, and it fits him well, felt too small for me and I’m just 5’10. I think the small is for actual dwarves and children

curiousyellow
    Free Member

@Trimix nothing yet?

Trimix
    Free Member

Mmmm, I will send it again. Might be me typing it wrong 🙂

legend
    Free Member

Not quite sure where I saw it reported and haven’t really looked in to the possibility of getting the parts. I’d assumed getting a deemax hub wouldn’t be too difficult and the same for the rim. I also hadn’t considered whether a deemax hub would even fit.

Prepare yourself for disappointment. We tried to get a Deemax rim on its own to fix a front wheel. The only option was to send it back to Mavic and cough up around £250 for the rebuild. This was my Mrs, who kinda works for Mavic, asking the question.

Might be able to get a 2nd hand hub, the rim and spokes would be the trickier part

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘YT Industries – Capra question’ is closed to new replies.