Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • YT Capra sizing
  • bazzer
    Free Member

Hi All

Quick question to YT Capra Owners.

I used to ride a medium Patriot 66 which looking at geometry charts looks a lot like a medium Capra.

I am a little over 5ft 11″ and the YT sizing chart puts me pretty much on a large.

What do people think other than get a test ride.

Cheers

Bazzer

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Large all the way

bazzer
    Free Member

Cheers can you elaborate a bit ?

stevied
    Free Member

Have 3 mates riding Capra’s:

1 – 5’11 on a Large = good fit
    2 – 6’1 on a Large = slightly too small
    3 – 5’9 on a Large = good fit

All depends on your body shape really..

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I’m on a large yt Tues, 6ft 1 and ideally I’d want an XL. I have tried friends capras and felt exactly the same

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Dbl post

bazzer
    Free Member

I currently ride a 17.5″ Cove Hustler and a 17.5″ Cotic Soda. I had a large Scott Genius years ago and hated it. So I am slightly worried about getting a bike that;s too big.

bazzer
    Free Member
    stevied
    Free Member

So I am slightly worried about getting a bike that;s too big.

Why don’t you ask if anyone is local to you so you can have a sit on one?

bazzer
    Free Member

I am around QE park if anyone local has one I can sit on.

submarined
    Free Member

For the past 2 years YT have done demo days in sort of April time.
    But if you need to try now, in all seriousness, best thing to do is to rock up to your local trail centre. Chances are it will be infested with the things! Geo hasn’t changed in all production years of the Capra AFAIK so it will be the same on all.

FWIW, I’m just over 5’10, and went with a medium. It was the wrong choice and I had to sell it on, I was way too hunched up.

alexxx
    Free Member

I’m 5ft11 normal proportions and a large. I’d be tempted to go XL if the seat tube wasn’t higher.

It feels like a good “large” not too big or too small… Big enough to be stable but small enough to chuck around.

Great bikes

johnas7
    Free Member

ive got the YT AL1 , im 5ft 11 and large fits perfect. Tried a friends medium and felt far to small, knees were nearly touching handlebars. Would defo go for a large.

Trimix
    Free Member

Large. I’m 5 11 and a large is just big enough.

enigmas
    Free Member

I’m 6ft 1 and the demoed a large that was wayyyy too small. The xl was still a tad on the short size imo.

There’s also a new capra in early Jan coming out, yt held a press camp last weekend in portugal but no details yet.

gwurk
    Free Member

Have 3 mates riding Capra’s:

1 – 5’11 on a Large = good fit
    2 – 6’1 on a Large = slightly too small
    3 – 5’9 on a Large = good fit

All depends on your body shape really..No it really doessn’t!
    it depends on your riding style.

5’11” perfectly normal proportioned and a Medium Capra fits me perfectly.

Ride one. Then make your own mind up.

antennae
    Free Member

YT lengthened the top tube on the Jeffsy 27, and may well do on the 2018 Capra I suspect. This might make a medium a better bet for people around your height. I have a medium Jeffsy and it fits perfectly, and I’m 5’9″ with a long arms and torso.

gwurk
    Free Member

Like every latest fad in mtb this “I have long arms” BS has become contageous.

Have any of you ever actually measured your arms? or just looked on some pointless APE INDEX calculator that compares arm span to height and doesn’t take shoulder width or hand size into account at all and decided your arms are long?

For someone to actually have freakishly long arms they’d also more than likely have narrow shoulders and small hands.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I’m 5’10” and tried a large 2 years ago and it felt spot on.

zero-cool
    Free Member

5’11 here and I agree that the Large us the way to go.

mulv1976
    Free Member

5′ 10″ on a large here

robw1
    Free Member

I’m 5’10 and ride a medium. tried some mates’ medium and large back to back and the large felt too big for me. Maybe ive got short legs! if you can, try a couple…..go to bike park wales…..every other bike is a Capra!

woollybackpaul
    Free Member

5’ 7” on a medium.

They are shorter in the TT than a lot of modern geo bikes.

Awesome bikes but you need to be riding proper Enduro / DH tracks to get the most out of them, there’s not a lot of joy to be had dragging one round your average trail centre.

mulv1976
    Free Member

Awesome bikes but you need to be riding proper Enduro / DH tracks to get the most out of them, there’s not a lot of joy to be had dragging one round your average trail centre.

Er, I’ve had plenty of joy riding mine all over Cannock chase for the past 2 years, fair enough mostly off the main trails tho.

They are great all day bikes anywhere you want to ride them. Mines been to the Alps twice, done a few enduros, BPW etc but mostly xc on the chase. Just don’t expect to be riding at carbon hardtail speeds on the ups. I came from a nukeproof mega before this and not much difference tbh, both are short in the tt but are great for dh.

Nonsense

bazzer
    Free Member

Thanks for the input guys.

Discovered one of my mates has a large so will have a go on that.

Currently I have an Iron Horse Sunday, Cove Hustler and a Cotic Soda.

Plan is to get rid of the Sunday and the Hustler and replace with the Capra or something like it. I rode everything from the South Down to Whistler on my old Patriot so thinking that something lighter and more modern with similar geometry would be just the ticket and allow me to have less bikes in the garage again.

Will keep the Soda though as its a fantastic bike and always makes me smile.

Cheers

antennae
    Free Member

Like every latest fad in mtb this “I have long arms” BS has become contageous.

Amazingly, my long arms predate enduro. I’m mostly monkey.

Enjoy your Capra bazzer!

gwurk
    Free Member

Bazzer if you liked the Sunday. Put a set of 26″ wheels on the Capra for DH. Geometry is really close then.

As the Capra has one of the most progressive rear ends of any bike out there it’s actually way nicer than any other 170mm travel bike when your trail centre terrain is less than Gnar. Also because of this the support when hitting jumps is phenomonal.
    They’re also light. Easily light enough for all day rides.

rOcKeTdOg

Go to a shop and try one for size….oh, wait

😉

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘YT Capra sizing’ is closed to new replies.