Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Youtube hit on my hands – how to maximise?
  • matt_outandabout

Any youtube boffins out there?

I work for a small charity, and one of our video’s is suddenly seeing 40-60k hits a day, taking us over 1m hits on Friday…

We want more folk to follow us on social media and sign up to our (free) newsletter.

Any quick ways to persuade folk to do this? You can see my ‘sign up here’ in the notes so far…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKHF7PTPp_w[/video]

northernmatt

I have no idea how you do it but bigger youtube channels (think colinfurze) have the bit at the end of the vid where you can click subscribe and things like that.

A quick google finds this
    https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6388789

DezB
    Free Member

Don’t you have to monetize the video, so that google can put ads on it?
    [edit]see here

[edit]sorry I got the wrong end of the stick there! Thought you wanted to make dosh for your charity 😀

matt_outandabout

We are not bothered about monetizing it – more benefiting our charitable aims…

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Monetizing will allow you to create revenue for the charity

wwaswas

People who are regularly getting a million plus views on vlogs are getting less than $100/month from YouTube for the advertising revenue.

I’d be looking to generate traffic to your web site and then trying to generate donations from there. Or direct to a payment page.

perchypanther
    Free Member

*spoiler alert*

Not a real bear. Disappointed.

matt_outandabout

I’d be looking to generate traffic to your web site and then trying to generate donations from there. Or direct to a payment page.

This, except we do not do donations…maybe we should…

Not a real bear. Disappointed.

ROAAAAAR!

wwaswas

maybe we should…

I would 🙂

maccruiskeen

We want more folk to follow us on social media and sign up to our (free) newsletter.

Any quick ways to persuade folk to do this? You can see my ‘sign up here’ in the notes so far…

You’ve done pretty much as much as you can in that respect – people will either click those links or they won’t. You could publish the same video on Facebook giving people two ways to find it its also more of a space where people comment/interact and share onwards. And you could actively post the video on relevant social media sites…. like you’ve just done.

I think the video as it is is doing its job as it is – keep notes of the stats – include them in funding applications and evaluations. Done.

This, except we do not do donations…maybe we should…

If you’re not a donations-funded organisation accepting donations might be more trouble than its worth. Accepting lots of donations is great, dealing with a few is bad value for your time and effort in managing them.

molgrips
    Free Member

English subtitles would be nice 🙂

GrahamS

Stick some “end cards” on the video. Something like “Find out more about Learning Through Landscapes” & “How we teach Gaelic” or whatever.

I think there is an option to do it in the YouTube Video Manager.

Be good to add some subtitle options too in English and Gaelic. Also done in Video Manager.

Current at 1402 likes but 903 dislikes?? People are weird. I’m guessing quite a lot of those were folk were looking for a English version of Going On A Bear Hunt and getting annoyed that other languages exist. 🙄

DezB
    Free Member

You can edit the videos to put annotations on them (or insert blipverts) using youtube’s video editor, so you could promote your other channels like that. (Or put subtitles on!)
    Bit of a faff though.

Anyway, it’s in Video Manager, under Enhancements, then there’s a link to the Video Editor, bottom right.

matt_outandabout

People are weird. I’m guessing quite a lot of those were folk were looking for a English version of Going On A Bear Hunt and getting annoyed that other languages exist

This. I have deleted many, many comments being downright rude about it… ‘mericans, God bless ’em.

maccruiskeen

This. I have deleted many, many comments being downright rude about it… ‘mericans, God bless ’em.

This is pretty much the problem with youtube- its a swamp. People can comment anonymously and are emboldened and flippant about it as a result. Vast swathes of content on youtube are also second hand so when people do comment adversely it doesnt seem to occur to them that they’re conversing directly with the people who made or are in the video – even in a situation like this when they’re kids. We don’t use it for hosting the films we make – we use vimeo which just seems to be a much more polite space or we host them directly in Facebook pages.

Really though if you’re getting high traffic and adverse reactions then its because people are finding the video when they’re looking for something else. The level of traffic you’ve been receiving will now put you high up search results but maybe a modification of the title (if thats possible retrospectively) might prevent clicks and angry reactions from people who are looking for something else.

GrahamS

Yeah you could easily add “(in Gaelic with subs)” or something to the title.

That would get you less hits, but they’d be much more targeted.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Youtube hit on my hands – how to maximise?’ is closed to new replies.