• This topic has 148 replies, 55 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 149 total)
  • Youtube – cyclist knocked off bike…
  • stumpy01

How much would a half decent camera cost??

Any links…..?

ads-b
    Free Member

Sod it, im getting the train home. Rode my new road bike in today, dont want it to be a pile of fibres by the end of the ride home (or have a broken leg)

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

I guess the lady in the focus has gone over him because she was looking at the on coming traffic (right) while turning left.

First he was partially sheltered by the van on her right.

Subconciously she would may have seen his shape whizz fly by to the left of her peripheral while she’s still looking at oncoming to her right

Nothing behind him so she turns left (while still looking right but maybe starting to swing her vision round
    )
    Drives over him because he’s on the ground and hidden by her front wing .. if she was even looking that way yet.

When she felt a bump she probably thought she was driving over a bit of the kerb, maybe didn’t hear him with a stereo on?

Not defending .. just saying, pay attention (both ways) at junctions, no matter which way you’re going, that could happen to a lot of us as drivers if we’re tired and on partial autopilot.

richmtb

The woman in that clip, WOW just WOW!

Arguing with the cyclist that she didn’t see him! Yes love thats the problem!

Alejandro
    Free Member

This is down the road from me… Damn.

Edit: just watching it in full now… the woman pointing under her car, all incredulous going “I didn’t see the bike”… WTF?

robere3
    Free Member

Thats conston road yeh c for dave o for bill n for july s for tina t for bangers o for orangina and finally an n please bob. can you send 3 fire engines and the coastguard please ive had a gardening accident thanks

ds3000
    Free Member

Just spent an hour watching cyclist/road rage incidents on youtube, there are some nutters out there. I mean just watch this

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG-cLftQ9Xw&feature=related[/video]

billysugger
    Free Member

I couldn’t live there yeah, ye get me bruv yeah

He’d have got away with it if he was a bit quicker

project
    Free Member

And some men say women are STUPID, she proves it and gets the certificate, for being stupid, showing absolutely no comapssion, haveing no damm idea she has run somebody over, and just being a now hopefully banned driver.

Listen luv, if you can read this spec savers are always doing offers.

Just really glad the cyclist is able to talk, and hopefully only his bike busted.

GrahamS

First he was partially sheltered by the van on her right.

Yeah, but she was still about 5 metres off the junction at that point (about 00:01 in the vid).

project
    Free Member

filmed with one of these

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZy_Pub985A&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/video]
    filmed with one of these

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RRa8ZdUm0U[/video]
    filmed with a muvi

ds3000
    Free Member

Project, you live on the Wirral? Me too, those bends are bad. Have you got any experience of commuting in Liverpool?

project
    Free Member

dcs,not liverpool but did wirral to chester for 4 years and before that wrexham to chester.

ds3000
    Free Member

I see, moving over to town next month and will have a lovely city-centre to Broadgreen commute to contend with.

project
    Free Member

http://www.letstravelwise.org have free cyclist maps of lpool wirral, sefton and st helens just give them a ring.

ds3000
    Free Member

Ta, I’ll give them a ring.

mintimperial

some men say women are STUPID, she proves it

No. She proves that she is stupid. Doesn’t prove anything about anyone else. Just saying.

project
    Free Member

ds300, up to kensignton, onto old swan then Prescot road, and onto broad green road. not to bad a ride if youre confident in traffic.

Northwind

Almost feels daft to say it but you have to at least give the first driver credit for stopping and doing the right thing after his mistake… Doesn’t make up for it but an awful lot of people would have scarpered. And nice to see the bystanders coming right forward with help too- the first lady almost demands he take her details, excellent.

Silver focus woman is obviously a walking dead.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Just watched it again and am even more amazed at how retarded that silver focus driver must be.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

OP is shocking –

Check this out though.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDAYkdlKEGI&feature=related[/video]

stevewhyte
    Free Member

What a dick

GrahamS

mcmoonter: Yikes! The “sillycyclists” stuff on YouTube is good if you want more “what not do” examples:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIZDKIjYUUo[/video]

He has a website too: http://www.sillycyclists.co.uk/

comedyphil
    Free Member

All i’ll say in defence (poor choice of word, i know) of the driver of the focus is that if you were in their shoes, and you genuinely didn’t see the cyclist, you’d be as surprised as she was to find the bike under her wheels.

Not condoning her behaviour, but if she genuinely didn’t see them (which is obviously her fault, and she’s clearly to blame), you might also be amazed as to how the bike ended up under her wheels. I suspect that if she’d seen the same footage that we have, she might not be quite so surprised…..

Makes this YouTube clip all the more prevalent. Awareness and observation is everything when commuting.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahg6qcgoay4[/video]

nedrapier

This has been quite humbling and instructive.

I cycle 10 miles a day in central London, and I generally feel pretty safe. I like to think that I’ve got a pretty good awareness of what’s around me, what people are likely to do and what to look out for.

I’ve got a feeling of safety, but I know it might be false, because people to continue to be injured and killed on the same roads I ride on. I take a real interest in accidents, and sometimes feel a bit morbid for askig so many questions, but I want to know if I’m feeling safe because I’m aware enough, or because I’ve been lucky.

I watched the OP vid and spent a bit of time freeze framing the first few frames where the accident happens. I can see the van obscuring the black car’s view, the black car getting a feeling of an opening because the van’s moving, and knowing he needs to be quick to squeeze into the same gap. He gets a quick glimpse of an open road, and nips in.

The road seems open because there aren’t any cars in it, and he’s decided already he needs to be quick. When “Mrs Dozy” sees black car turning in, she knows there can’t be anything coming, so carries on turning, carries on looking where she’s going. What could be coming the other direction when she knows there’s a black car blocking the way?

Course. if she’d taken the a second to look, like all of us would have done, she’d have seen the bike.

Then I looked at the basketball/gorilla thing. I knew there’d be a gorilla, because I knew the set up. So I thought I could count the passes and see the gorilla. Granted the gorilla was trickier to see, but I didn’t spot it until the second watch. Thought was a subversion of the original. (Granted, I’ve also had a bottle and half of wine)

I don’t think Mrs Dozy needs to be vilified. In terms f fault, Mr black car precipitated it by giving Mrs Dozy the impression the road was clear. She should have taken the extra second to look, but I can understand why she didn’t.

so I’ll be looking out for this more tomorrow. My sphere of caution has been widened. As a vulnerable road user, that’s all you can do. (although quite what I’d have done differently in the riders position, I really don’t know…)

Safe travels all! And don’t get to high an opinion of your observational skills after a bottle and a half of wine!

nedrapier

And I can totally understand if you’re NRATS. Your loss though. It’s good stuff. Probably.

user-removed
    Free Member

project – Member
    And some men say women are STUPID, she proves it and gets the certificate, for being stupid, showing absolutely no comapssion, haveing no damm idea she has run somebody over, and just being a now hopefully banned driver.

Listen luv, if you can read this spec savers are always doing offers.

Erm, for starters it was a bloke who misjudged the gap and knocked him off in the first place – not condoning her lack of observational skills thereafter but there it is. For main course, you can see she is in shock, as is the cyclist – this causes people (either gender) to do odd things and behave in a way they might not normally.

For desert, I offer you a reported post – and this only after a few hours of thinking about it – that comment is genuinely disgusting.

aracer
    Free Member

desert – a dish best served hot 😉

project
    Free Member

U-R, watch the vid again and you will see the bLack car ,male cut the corner and take out the cyclist, you will also see the silver car, woman, exiting from the junction on the left, with the micra behind, she would have come out if the cyclist had of been there or not, she didnt obviously look, she failed to get out of the car, despite the colision, she failed to ask if he was ok, she showed no compassion, she didnt offer her details as is required under the traffic laws regarding an injury accident, the micra driver and the another driver did and they where not involved.

She ran him and his bike over because she didnt observe the junction, and for this reason she needs to be banned for a few weeks, just so she has time to contemplate what happened.

Oh and as for the drivers who failed to offer help, and sounded their horns they are shown only contempt.

Oh and U-R, if the same thing has ever happened to you, you should know what its ike to suddenly be thrown over the bonnet of a car and then to be left lieing on the floor, i have and its not nice.

Oh and ive reported your post for ofering me a desert, i find that a bit creepy, and disturbing that a stranger should offer me a meal, what is the ultimate motive.

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve only ever been hit by 2 cars in my 20 years of commuting. Both were women doing something really dozy.
    Just saying, like.

In the OP’s clip – anyone who says the woman who runs over his bike is more stupid than the bloke who knocks him off in the first place, needs to get a grip.

klumpy
    Free Member

Hmm, as a van owner this scares the hell out of me. IF I pulled up to a junction, stopped, and took a second to look at the fuel level, rummage in a pocket, sneeze, or whatever – and while that was going on a cyclist got smashed over and ended up laying in the road just forward of the left wing, I would have no idea they were there. It wouldn’t be because I’m stupid, or blind, but just because I can’t see through metal. It only takes an instant of inattention – while *stationary* – for the woman to miss that accident and leave her with no way of knowing someone is laying in the road.

project
    Free Member

The cyclist was approaching the junction dressed in a hi viz top, flashing led light, and traveling at slow speed,yet the male car driver failed to see him which he admitted, and the female didnt even see him at all, despite him riding from her right, 2 windows on her side along with a windscreen for he rto observe and pull out accordingly.

soma_rich
    Free Member

I am going to get this one after seeing some footage DezB has got with his.
    http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_1&products_id=110355

BoardinBob

I don’t believe that these type of people don’t see cyclists. They do see them, they just don’t process them as being an issue to their own progress or they don’t even register in their minds as a valid road user.

GrahamS

IF I pulled up to a junction, stopped, and took a second to look at the fuel level, rummage in a pocket, sneeze, or whatever

Yeah, but if you look at her road position at the start of the video:

As the black car hits the cyclist she is still at least a car length from the junction, but seconds later she is running the guy over.

That kinda suggests she didn’t stop, look properly or pay any attention to what was going on in the road.

Plus she was so unaware of her own car position that she says she thought the bang, scraping noise and swearing was just her clipping the kerb. 😯

But yeah, everyone makes mistakes. What is most infuriating is her attitude afterwards: not getting out the car, not asking if he is okay, checking on her shopping (??), not apologising, then finally telling him off!

turboferret

I think that 7dayshop camera looks ideal, I’ll probably get one too when I’m back cycle commuting in the UK. The fact that it simply rolls over the old footage means you should never need to take the card out etc unless you have an incident.

My GoPro would be a bit of a pain in comparison I’d think, although footage quality would of course be in a different league.

Cheers, Rich

Lifer
    Free Member

Yeah i agree with Graham, she saw the black car going and took that as ‘road is clear’ if there had been a car coming she still would have pulled out. I reckon.

DezB
    Free Member

The fact that it simply rolls over the old footage means you should never need to take the card out etc unless you have an incident.

No it doesn’t. If the card is full it stops filming.

[edit] just read the description on 7dayshop. Hmm, I’m sure it just stops. I’ll have to do a test.

Cougar

I am going to get this one after seeing some footage DezB has got with his.

Sorry for the tangent, but have you got a link to some of that example footage? Quite tempted myself at that sort of money.

ski
    Free Member

DezB – Member

The fact that it simply rolls over the old footage means you should never need to take the card out etc unless you have an incident.

No it doesn’t. If the card is full it stops filming.

[edit] just read the description on 7dayshop. Hmm, I’m sure it just stops. I’ll have to do a test.

The one I use records over the oldest clip, but, and its a big but, when it flips between clip you lose vital seconds in the recording, so its not a continuous recording.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 149 total)

The topic ‘Youtube – cyclist knocked off bike…’ is closed to new replies.