Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 121 total)
  • Your top 10 of punk bands….
  • emac65
    Free Member

& if we could try to have just bands around the 1976-'82 era,cuz the newer bands really don't make the grade,imo anyway 8)
    Mine…
    (Was actually a lot harder than I thought it would be only having ten & then deciding what order to put them in)
    1)The Clash
    2)Stiff Little Fingers
    3)Dead Kennedys
    4)UK Subs
    5)The Ruts
    6)Angelic Upstarts
    7)999
    8)The lurkers
    9)The Adverts
    10)Discharge

Yes I am really bored 🙄

iDave
    Free Member

flipper

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

err… The Ramones

And punk started circa. 1974 too 😉

uplink
    Free Member

New York Dolls
    Patti Smith
    Ramones

Anything really out of that New York CBGB scene

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

And I do wish I was old enough to appreciate the first wave of punk bands – I was only nine in 1976.

uplink
    Free Member

I was only nine in 1976

I was 17

emac65
    Free Member

mastiles did I say it didn't ?I just think that in '76-82 was it's prime years ….

Oh & I saw the Ramones a few times as well 😉

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

Something like this, I couldn't decide an order though… there are loads more, and more modern stuff too but these are my favourites!

Black Flag
    Misfits
    Adolescents
    Circle Jerks
    TSOL
    Dead Kennedys
    Discharge
    Minor Threat
    Ramones
    Stooges

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

mastiles did I say it didn't ?I just think that in '76-82 was it's prime years

Fair enough – you just mentioned 'newer' bands which suggested you saw 1976 as the start of punk. No offence meant.

Wasn't The Strangler's 'Peaches' credited with being the breakthrough punk single too – top ten charted in autumn 1975? COuld be wrong – was told that and the 'fact' stood. Where's Google…

emac65
    Free Member

First uk punk-The Damned "New Rose"

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Nope that was a rubbish fact (The Stranglers one) – the album wasn't released until 1977 🙂

Ohh – The Boomtown Rats had their moments too 🙂

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

Just thinking about the drums at the start of New Rose makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up….

emac65
    Free Member

Can't believe I've forgotten to put The Buzzcocks in my own top 10 😳

uplink
    Free Member

Ohh – The Boomtown Rats had their moments too

They were probably the first to get a No1

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

I thought the glaringly obvious omission from your mostly English top 10 was Sham 69. but you're right, the Buzzocks, from my home town too. They can displace the Circle Jerks on my list. 😆

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

The Undertones!

Teenage Kicks – John Peel's fave track ever and possibly mine too.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

The stranglers were a bunch of pub rock chancers, just jumped on the punk bandwagon. Why has nobody mentioned the Pistols yet? Agree with emac's number 1 choice, but would have to have the Undertones, Penetration and the Ramones in there. And chapeaux to Dr Feelgood – no, they definitely werent a Punk band, but they certainly helped kick start things in the UK.

emac65
    Free Member

I loved the early Sham,until their songs started to sound like Chas & Dave ones….

greyman
    Free Member

Can't believe I've forgotten to put The Buzzcocks in my own top 10

beat me to it !

2nd Ramones, Patti Smith, Television, Dolls etc

et le Clash, natch.

I was 19

emac65
    Free Member

Never really liked The Pistols,still don't.Undertones (for me) only made a couple of good songs,Penertration were ok.
    Like I Said it was hard to narrow it down to just 10

uplink
    Free Member

Wot no Siouxsie?

Patti Smith at her best

trailmonkey

In no particular order

Sex Pistols
    Crass
    The Ruts
    The Stranglers
    Siouxsie and the Banshees
    Magazine
    The Clash
    PIL
    Ultravox (John Foxx era)

DavidB
    Free Member

Violators
    One way system
    Demob
    Crass
    Conflict
    The Wall
    Killing Joke
    PIL
    The Adicts
    Poison Girls
    Subhumans

greyman
    Free Member

That would be Ultravox!
    😉

MrAgreeable

punk started circa. 1974 too

Hmmm…

And hmmm… again

And a bit more hmmmm… 😉

greyman
    Free Member

Stooges anyone ?

MC5 ?

(showing my age now !)

emac65
    Free Member

I've missed out The Vibrators too 😕

mikey74
    Free Member

You have all forgotten the "kings of punk": Poison Idea.

montylikesbeer

How can you forget Slaughter and The Dogs.

They supported the pistols at the famous Lesser Free Trade Hall gig in Manchester in '76

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

I had the Stooges on my list…. when did they start? mid-late 60s?

I might add crusty/grindcore types Extreme Noise terror just for fun. MURDER!!!

emac65
    Free Member

Bugger,Slaughter as well(thumps head)

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Odd how stuff like this brings back memories of some really good, underrated bands. The Skids were good live, as were the Adverts. Never really 'got' Sham 69 – too football hooligany for me, PMSL at the Chas & Dave reference!
    Saw the Clash loads of times, the best of the bunch for me. Saw the Pistols (in 76 and when they reformed in the 90's – hate to say it but they were far better the second time round).
    The so called 'second wave', ie Discharge and all that lot, never really did it for me, but having shared a few pints with him, I thought Charlie Harper was a top bloke. Jesus, this is like reminiscence therapy at the old folks home!

uplink
    Free Member

I think it was Stuart Maconie I heard say that he really felt sorry for kids since punk because they haven't had such a massive revolution of music & culture that the mid/late 70's brought to the UK

I know what he means, it's hard to describe what a force it was

uplink
    Free Member

hate to say it but they were far better the second time round

Not for me

I remember walking into an early Pistols gig – the atmosphere was indescribable – violent tension is probably the only words I can find for it but it was totally intoxicating

BigSteve
    Free Member

X-Ray Specs – Day the world turned dayglo – class, pure class.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I stand very much corrected on the start of punk thing. I was only young at the time m'lud!

(And I was a metal-head really, not a punk. I did like Motorhead gigs though – a great mix of embroidered denim and studded/painted leather.

Anyone mentioned Crass yet?

EDIT – I saw The Damned play a few years back at Leeds Uni with the original line-up (inc. Captain Sensible) and it was sooo funny – between every song, almost the whole audience broke into 'Happy talking, talking, happy talk'. The band were so pished off with it by the end.

🙂

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

I meant musically – I have to agree with you about the atmosphere thing though, but a lot of the early punk gigs were like that, probably due to the fact that your adrenaline was already going mad due to the amount of hassle you'd had making your way there – hard to believe nowadays, but there were plenty of meatheads willing to give you a kicking because you were wearing 'straight leg' jeans.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Slits
    Angelic Upstarts
    Anti-Nowhere League
    Eddie and the Hot Rods
    Generation X
    Ian Dury & the Blockheads
    The Members
    X Ray Spex

Gonna get the vinyl out when I get home, time for a bit of nostalgia.

greyman
    Free Member

Big Star considered early punk, or "power pop" ?

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Weird, the adrenaline and fear of getting jumped in the late 70's was about getting a kicking – never, ever dreamed of anyone with a knife, let alone a gun.
    All that aggro and pent up frustration with today's easy access arsenals would make going to a gig like going into a war zone!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 121 total)

The topic ‘Your top 10 of punk bands….’ is closed to new replies.