• This topic has 71 replies, 43 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by MSP.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • your road riding tips please
  • fastindian
    Free Member

OK so im not new to road riding but up till now its been on an ancient 700c hybrid with nice thick tyres which weighs about the same as my Volvo 😀

I’ve now bought a ‘proper’ road bike with skinny tyres that’s fairly light, so what differences in handling can I expect/do I need to ride it differently?

Any tips most appreciated

scaredypants

just go steadyish on steep hills, bends etc ’til you work it out

‘s only a bike

clubber
    Free Member

No real changes. Top tip when cornering at speed is to push away (slightly! and practice on a clear road!) with your inside hand (eg so that you’re steering away from the corner) and amazingly you’ll actually steer better into the bend.

Other than that, learn to spin – cadence of 80-90rpm at least is much more efficient over any distance once you learn to do it properly. It will almost certainly slow you down to start with though.

justatheory
    Free Member

Dodge potholes

jota180
    Free Member

Top tip when cornering at speed is to push away (slightly! and practice on a clear road!) with your inside hand (eg so that you’re steering away from the corner) and amazingly you’ll actually steer better into the bend.

Everyone counter steers naturally anyway
    It’s the way you make a bike or motorcycle change direction at anything other than very low speed, you make it start to ‘fall over’ and then correct it
    It’s purely intuitive

clubber
    Free Member

Of course, however if you do it consciously, you can actually steer much more into a corner than you think. It’s got me out of a couple of tight scrapes…

rocketman
    Free Member

your road riding tips please

don’t 😈

titusrider
    Free Member

I love how responsive the bike is, you just have to ‘think’ about turning left and off it goes (ie the body movement required is tiny)

everything else you need is here:
    http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I found the most difficult thing going into corners at speed, then finding the corner gets tighter and you have to lean the bike further over mid-corner.

Just takes a bit of practive – but make sure you do it before you’re heading down a steep hill at 30mph and start drifting onto the wrong side of the road!

crazy-legs

Keep it smooth, especially if you’re riding in a group. No sudden swerves or braking (unless your life depends on it obviously!) No jumping around out of the saddle, keep it nice and relaxed, you’ll go faster and look more pro, all at the same time. 😉

clubber
    Free Member

HoratioHufnagel – Member
    I found the most difficult thing going into corners at speed, then finding the corner gets tighter and you have to lean the bike further over mid-corner.

Which is exactly where consciously countersteering will help.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Join a club or at the very least find a friend who’ll ride with you. This works on 4 levels.

1) Safety, cars seem to give me a lot more space when there’s 2 of you and you’re easier to spot.

2) Speed, if I look at my Garmins results after a solo ride it’s all over the place, random sprins up hills, miles where I was clearly daydreaming, gettign up a hill quickly ony to take it easy over the top, etc. I get twice as much from a ride in a group as I do on my own.

3) Company, occasionaly a solo century can be a nice bit of me time, other days it can be skull crushingly boring. Even if the other guy/girl has nothing to talk about appart from how he saved 2g by filing down the ends of his QR’s or insists that his ceramic bearings are worth another 5watts in a sprint as they can be lubed with kangaroo jism rather than grease, it’s still company.

4) Cafe stops, groups only brake for cake, it’s a fact and however much you think you look like something straight out the Rapha catalogue sitting there on your own in cycling gear drinking cappuchino at the garden center, people are in fact avoiding you, freak. At least doing this in a group means you’re not alone.

Other tips:
    In all but the hottest weather, put a good baselayer on under your jersey, it’ll keep you warm on decents and prevent us seeing your moobs on climbs.

Baggies are not cool, ditto peaked helmets, you’re on a road bike, be comfortable with and embrce a new world of chaffe free comfort.

You can fit all you need in your jersey pockets, if you can’t then a small saddle bag is acceptable. Tri-bags are not, and camelpacks make you look like a mountainbiker trying desperately not to identify with other roadies.

Wave to other cyclists, one day you might need to borrow a tube/pump/gell off them, if they dont wave back don’t take it personaly and go on forums to rant about it, they probably just didn’t see you or were too tired, either that or you were wearing a peak/camelpack/baggies.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Group riding has been the one for me, joining the local club has improved my fitness tenfold but on the other hand it has also drained my wallet. After a winter on the road with the local club me and a mate headed out to CYB a couple of weekends ago and I was flying up the climbs.
    A good computer is helpful, sad I know but for me watching the averages has been another big motivation.

Even if the other guy/girl has nothing to talk about appart from how he saved 2g by filing down the ends of his QR’s

😆

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Don’t be surprised if you enjoy it more than mountain biking 😉

oldgit
    Free Member

Crashes at corners in 4th cats explained in one thread.

Just take it steady, relax and learn on the go. Don’t start cornering fast thinking something you’ve learnt on the web is going to get you out of trouble because it wont.
    You’ll know when you are ready .
    I’d hook up with a club, regardless of what people say road clubs are very social.
    You’ll learn some of the hand signals, not that there’s many. That’ll be useful if you hook up with strangers whilst out riding.
    Personally I don’t go in for them. I don’t like to rely on someone and TBH my bike doesn’t fall apart if I go down potholes.
    (Try riding in Belgium, potholes are your problem no one elses)

End of the day it’s riding a bike, it’s not rocket science.

tlr

If you are riding in a group for gods sake keep pedalling as you stand up out of the saddle and as you sit down again!

DrP

^
    Pretty much this.
    It can get addictive as the speed/distance you cover becomes the ‘thrill’, as opposed to the ‘terrain’ of MTBing!

Also, take lots of performance enhancing drugs. Even if it’s just to make the commute a bit quicker!

DrP

clubber
    Free Member

oldgit – Member
    Crashes at corners in 4th cats explained in one thread.

He asked for difference in handling techniques 🙄

4th Cats crash because they’re not used to bunch riding/racing.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

You might be surprised that your new fancy road bike is not actually that much faster then the hybrid. but no doubt its nice to sit on. You may find the hills a bit harder with longer gearing.

tarquin
    Free Member

Baggies are not cool, ditto peaked helmets, you’re on a road bike, be comfortable with and embrce a new world of chaffe free comfort.

You can fit all you need in your jersey pockets, if you can’t then a small saddle bag is acceptable. Tri-bags are not, and camelpacks make you look like a mountainbiker trying desperately not to identify with other roadies.

Busted!

Baggies and camelbak on this’afternoon…

Lycra on its way! 😮

Garry_Lager

Roadies have 23 different words for tarmac. Learn them and it will help with conversation on group rides.

mogrim

When cornering on the downhills get your weight over the front, don’t hang off the back like you would on an MTB.

AndyP
    Free Member

Wave to other cyclists, one day you might need to borrow a tube/pump/gell off them, if they dont wave back don’t take it personaly and go on forums to rant about it, they probably just didn’t see you or were too tired, either that or you were wearing a peak/camelpack/baggies.

or, they didn’t know you and don’t tend to habitually go around waving to strangers.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

choose riding times carefully to avoid traffic.

IME Friday 3.30pm onwards and Saturday afternoons are some of the worst times to road ride.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

or, they didn’t know you and don’t tend to habitually go around waving to strangers.

Hmmm, I say hello to everyone, maybe it’s just a northern thing, even my missus find it strange when she comes up here and strangers say hello.

AndyP
    Free Member

I say hello to everyone, maybe it’s just a northern thing

It’s definitely not a northern thing. It’s an odd thing.
    Do you ever get anything done?
    When you’re on a bike, do you wave at cars, motorbikes, maybe cows too?

s
    Free Member

How many posts and not one tip on shaving legs, tut tut, STW you are slacking 😉

stilltortoise – Member

Don’t be surprised if you enjoy it more than mountain biking

+1

fasthaggis

It’s definitely not a northern thing. It’s an odd thing.

I am an odd thing ,I say hello/wave to everyone when I am on two wheels 🙂

AndyP
    Free Member

You are Basil Fotherington-Thomas and I claim my £5 😉

fasthaggis

Damn! it’s in the post 😉

RealMan
    Free Member

How many posts and not one tip on shaving legs, tut tut, STW you are slacking

It’s in the rules..

http://slamthatstem.com/

PrinceJohn

Don’t wash out both wheels fall off in a freak accident & break your leg. It hurts. A lot.

oldgit
    Free Member

Been shaving the legs for 37 years and could still do with some tips.

oldgit
    Free Member

Now I do like you RealMan, but I ****ing hate that site. I hate the fact that a slammed stem somehow seems like something we should all be aiming to, rather than actually adjust it to fit perfectly.

I like my stem slammed, but my bars shallow…..hipsters.

The grump is kicking in

duffmiver
    Free Member

Wear lycra.
    Be boring.
    Shave legs.
    Walk like a mincer when not on the bike.
    If you have a wife/girlfriend, dump her now to save her the hassle later.
    Find a different forum full of like-minded idiots.
    Ignore every mountain-biker you pass.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

your road riding tips please

Get a Triumph/Ducati/Yamaha or something like that.

And a mountain bike.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

choose riding times carefully to avoid traffic.

IME Friday 3.30pm onwards and Saturday afternoons are some of the worst times to road ride.

^^^Good advise this. Get out early on a weekend morning before the numptys get out and about. If you can get up and out and then back home before 10 am, you’ll get a nice quiet ride in, and then you’ve got the rest of the day to spend with family, etc.

iainc

Get out early on a weekend morning before the numptys get out and about. If you can get up and out and then back home before 10 am, you’ll get a nice quite ride in, and then you’ve got the rest of the day to spend with family, etc.

really looking forward to some of this now the frosty mornings are passing. My road rides from the house are all back roads and winter mornings are usually a nono for riding, combination of hedges, low sun, farmers slurry and slippiness make for much falling off….

Cheezpleez

I rarely ride my road bike but really enjoy it when I do. A solo night ride away from traffic on a clear night can be a magical experience. I did a quick circuit of Leith Hill last night and didn’t see a soul.

I definitely struggle with being smooth and I know I stand up and mash more than I should. Guess it comes with practice.

uwe-r
    Free Member

I just got a web site block (work server) due to ‘adult content’ on the slam that stem link. I am now hoping the site is indeed road bike related as I may be explaining this to my boss soon?

Could someone confirm and put my mind at rest.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘your road riding tips please’ is closed to new replies.