Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • your retired bikes
  • jimmy

Just been looking at some old pics of my first 'proper' MTB, the one that really got the addiction firmly seated. Long stem, flat straight bars, DCD, neoprene headset cover… From memory, it used to feel like the most nimble, speedy bike I'd ever own.

And now, taking it easy in commuter guise. I struggle riding her on bumpy towpaths…

(terrible phone pic…)

Have you kept your old classics?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Got a Prometheus in the attic, and a Ritchey road frame that may soon join it or get flogged.

rOcKeTdOg

ah DCDs, those were the days!

jimmy

Was DCD was an onomatopoeia…? Jesus they made a racket.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Still got my 88 Stumpjumper Comp and '89 Alves. Some parts were so retro on them that the scrutineers at the Grundig world cup race at Aviemore didnt know what they were. They were Shimano guys too.

tonyg2003

Yep 1990 Orange Aluminium O. Now single speed for family rides. My first proper MTB. Can't see me getting rid of it ever! £1100 rigid, v-brakes, 24spd suntour, thumbshifters, cr-moly forks and I thought it was a bargain!

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

My 93 Clockwork frame is still sat in the workshop. It's now unrideable due to much internal rust and cracking but I can't bear to chuck it out because of the memories it prompts whenever I look at it.
    Here are just a few:
    My best race results ever,
    Touring Japan and America with slicks and panniers,
    Meeting the wife…..

foxyrider
    Free Member

Retired as no disc mounts but is otherwise ridable if anyone interested?

Rockhopper A1 Comp FS 1998:

sobriety
    Free Member

I have one of those! My first proper mtb. I drilled out the rear pannier mount to fit a disc adaptor, it was retired a couple of years ago when the removal of a siezed bb took all the threads with it…

tootin

cyclistm
    Free Member

Foxy®ider – you have kept your bike in very good condition.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

In the loft there is.

Early 90's Spesh Metal Matrix frame.
    1993 Marin Team Ti (snapped)
    1992 Ritchey P22 (Bent – hit by car)
    1994(?) Orange Dynamo Roadie
    1995 Marin Quake full sus. (Just Rubbish)

I will need to have a sort out when I move.

foxyrider
    Free Member

LOL cyclism – sorry the only pic I had – thats a bikepedia piccy 😉 The frame is a bit more tatty than that – well mostly paint flaking from teh BB area 😉

DezB
    Free Member

I owned this very bike, as reviewed in Cycling Weekly. Now just a frame hung up on the garage ceiling.

As is this Cannondale. But it's bent.

Theres a K2 Razorback frame hanging there too.

cyclistm
    Free Member

DezB is that an M2000 in gunmetal grey?

Coleman
    Free Member

Circa 94 Dyna-tech Torus FS (Raleigh). Sadly now resides permanently bolted to the turbo trainer and shod with slicks.

jimmy

I used to love those Torus..es? Tori? Tora? Surely too good to be on a turbo (if its the Ti frame I'm thinking of)

coffeeking
    Free Member

I had an al carter timbertrail. I still have the frame and forks in the garage. That retired in about '92. I then got a Merlin Malt, which is now a SS/commuter. I then got a coyote F2, which is currently dormant but may see the light of day again soon if I can find some oldschool junior Ts for cheap.

Coleman
    Free Member

jimmy – Yes it is the welded Ti frame, bought as frameset and lovingly built into a lightweight xc racer.
    You are also right about it being too good to be bolted to a turbo, but I don't think I'll ever want to get rid of it, and at least it is sort of getting used!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I think my GT Timberline is now the Bro in laws commuter.

beardie
    Free Member

Still got my 93(ish) clockwork owned from new, ridiculously narrow ti x-lites, 2 foot long stem, onza bar ends etc. Now occasional grandchild transport !

DezB
    Free Member

DezB is that an M2000 in gunmetal grey?

No, M500 in metallic black. Close though 😉

radoggair
    Free Member

s is this Cannondale. But it's bent

never mind the bend, have you seen the state of your forks???. loctite anyone?

I've also noticed how we all used to have titanium flite saddles, mainly cos i think it made the bike look good and fast

takisawa2

My 92' GT Timberline is now my brothers commuter also. Told him I want first refusal if he wants rid of the thing.

jimmy

mainly cos i think it made the bike look good and fast

yep, was relieved when I got over that part and settled for comfort.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘your retired bikes’ is closed to new replies.