Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Your recommended Winter ride equipment/gear/clothing thread/picture if you want?
  • GaVgAs
    Free Member

After -15 degree temperatures on the Helvellyn range yesterday, I was wondering what gear you have used/taken with you on your ride for the recent weather conditions.

Heres my list

Helmet
    Merino top base layer
    Buffalo outer fleece/waterproof/windproof top
    Endura full length bib
    Sealskin waterproof winter gloves
    Wooley socks
    Winter mw80 Shimmano boots (one size bigger than normal)
    Endura mt500 overboots (great in the snow but dont last if you carry a lot)
    Buff to keep your ears warm!

Noted performance bike/gear mods

Grip shift is great for keeping your hands/thumbs warmer,(you could wear mitts)
    2.3 tyres work well in 4ins powder snow
    Fox 36talas performance drops off in cold weather
    Rear gears froze up on fell tops,front mech ok

In my bag

Berghaus rucksack
    Bothy bag was invaluable for a quick warm up and flask stop
    a hot flask with orange squash (mulled wine would have been nice)
    extra base layer
    a couple of oranges,banana
    chocolate
    Camera
    usual spare tube,repair kit,pump,spare link,Emergency mech hangar

(One of us had a mobile phone)

I would not have changed any gear taken, and can recommend all of the above in what was at times, very harsh conditions.

any tips too avoid mechs freezing up gratefully received

over too you 😉

over too you

Trimix
    Free Member

My gears froze up yesterday and it was only -2 / -3 in the Chilterns. Once I pulled the cables and pushed the mech and front mech they worked OK. But my camelback hose froze up and my mates water bottle contained a slush puppy.

I was warm while riding uphill, my feet got cold as my SIDI shoes are really not for winter riding. My mate was wearing his new Lake winter boots and dispite only wearing shorts ! had OK feet. Normally his feet freeze even in positive temps, so he was recommending them bigtime.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Biking mittens

Not sure how clear it is in the pic, but there's an index finger and thumb bit and then the normal mitten. Felted wool (like Dachsteins) so super warm and windproof.

odannyboy
    Free Member

not being rude, but how did you know it was -15? weater forecast hasnt mentioned any temps that low in general? or are you talking windchill factor?

GaVgAs
    Free Member

http://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/weatherline

Ok it was with windchill,but its how it feels that counts,and it felt very very cold 😯

The difference in temperature from the lakeshore to the fell tops was hudge,we were starting to get a bit concerned on a couple of points where we has whiteout conditions.

I never carry a compass or gps,and rarely a map,but it could have been a lifesaver if we got into difficulties yesterday!

exellent adventure though and a ride we will remeber for a while.

italspark
    Free Member

wool socks,sealskins, lake winter boots (1 size too big) overshoes, windstopper fronted bibs with shorts under, helly hanson top under windstopper top under gore tex shell with pearl izumi lobster thermodor gloves, north face ear gear, buff around the face and oakleys
    kept me toasty in a whiteout yesterday up the lammermuirs for 4 hours

AndrewL

I was on top of High Street yesteday – was definitely on the chilly side. I had 3 coats and 2 sets of gloves on at one point and popped shorts over tights and I don't normally feel the cold much.

accu
    Free Member

during the (freezing) wintertime , my solution for reliable shifting …

I take new cables and degrease it completely !!… while using silicone spray to "regrease" them ..outers are also filled with silicone spray….

and ….I`m running an shimano 8 speed casette with oldschool thumbies…(7 shifters will work properly with 8 speed cogs..)

tried this during the last winters…works perfect !!

thomthumb
    Free Member

altura night vision gloves once below freezing.

ground effect winter tops can't be beaten – two timer is my personal favourite – either sleeves on – or sleves off under a waterproof when it's really cold.

embers merino base layers

northwave boots

endura winer tights

job done.

sealskinz socks with normal socks underneath

cxthompson
    Free Member

Same as the summer, but instead of just a tshirt I wear a long sleeve tshirt on top!

XXX
    Free Member

you can pee on your mechs and freehub when they freeze

MrSparkle

Gears? :0)

woffle
    Free Member

rohloff, lots of GT85 on cables and merino baselayers…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Your recommended Winter ride equipment/gear/clothing thread/picture if you want?’ is closed to new replies.