Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Your personal highway code.
  • nickc

give way to folk who’re working on weekends (Bus drivers, council vans, utility company vans etc)

GrahamS

I think, generally, that those who have a few years’ motorcycling under their belts tend to make safer drivers than those who don’t.

Self-selecting sample – the motorcyclists that aren’t safe get weeded out before they make it to “a few years”! 😯

DezB
    Free Member

In the car – if someone is coming right round a roundabout without indicating right, it’s ok to pull out.

On the bike
    – a thank you hand wave to those who overtake sensibly, giving good space. Especially ones who wait behind for a good place to pass. (I probably get to do this twice in an hours ride, on average).
    -Flip the bird to those who don’t give enough room when overtaking. (I probably get to do this 6 times on average). It would be a **** sign, but sometimes they are women. It’s quite interesting to note how many gesture back – ie. they KNOW they’ve been a **** and are looking in their mirror for the reaction.
    -Take extra extra precautions, be ready for anything, fear for my actual life if I see a woman driving a Mini (this based entirely on previous experience of such).

chewkw
    Free Member

I drive for leisure only because my place of work is 10 mins walk away … 😀

When I drive:

1. I am normally relax or in a hurry.

2. I try to remember the direction …

3. I am immune to traffic jam because I have been trained in 3 hour traffic jam in the far east daily.

4. I don’t mind people cutting in front of me or jump the queue or letting other pass … no hurry for me so do as they wish.

5. I don’t like roundabouts coz they are so ancient.

6. I stick to all traffic rules with 10% buffer in order to comply with the bureaucratic norm.

7. I don’t like tailgaters especially when I can see them texting or looking at the mobile phones.

😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Agree with DD, Taxi drivers are never, ever let out*
    *Unless there is a complete walloper tailgating me, in which case, I let everyone out, Even folk with union jack stickers.

Oh yes siree. + lots. 🙂

richmtb

Always be patient around cyclists and give masses of room – hopefully it’ll rub off on the car behind.

Aye sometimes it actually works too.

on A roads indicate left for motorbikes to let them know you see them and you are aware they are about to overtake. Do the same for faster traffic in general and thank people with a flash of the hazards who do the same for me.

On the motorway – actually drive in the correct lane and make space for traffic round about me when possible, for example pull over to lane 3 when you know someone else wants to overtake from lane 1 into lane 2. If I’m overtaking in lane 3 and faster traffic is approaching I might even speed up a little, except for tailgaters they can wait!

DezB
    Free Member

hopefully it’ll rub off on the car behind.

ah, I live with impossible dreams in my head too…

GrahamS

It does rub off a bit in my experience – if only because the car behind sees you overtaking “wide” (i.e. Rule 163) and blindly follows.

Of course after the fact the driver may well be thinking “Why did he pull out so wide? There was nothing there. Just a cyclist. I thought there must be a parked car or something important.”

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Your personal highway code.’ is closed to new replies.