Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Your mild OCD
  • FeeFoo
    Free Member

At work, I always have to take the “racing line” and drift out to the far left when exiting the corner of a right-hander leaving the factory floor heading for the warehouse.

This is on foot.

I still do it even if someone is walking with me.

Obviously have to adjust speed and line depending on weather and “tyre” conditions.

grahamh
    Free Member

Clip keys in to my camelback, get out the door and before closing it, take off camelback to check I’ve clipped my keys in.

petrieboy

I gave up pairing my socks some years ago so every morning just grab a random pair from the bottom drawer. All good, but in the rare situation where a matching pair come out at random, one of them goes back and I try again.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rupertpostlethwaite
    Free Member

“The “Pure-O” is manifested by a two-part process: the originating unwanted thought (spike) and the mental activity which attempts to escape, solve, or undo the spike, called rumination. The following are examples of varieties of spikes:
    A man is involved in sexual relations with his female lover. Just prior to orgasm, the thought of his friend Bob pops into his head. This is the fourth time in a month that this has happened. In response to this, he becomes very upset and wonders whether he is gay. He terminates sexual activity in order to avoid having to deal with this concern.
    A mother is changing the diapers of her infant. As she lovingly looks down at the helpless child, the thought occurs to her to take a pillow and smother the child. In response to this thought, the mother panics and runs to another room to diminish the possibility of acting on this thought, assuming that the capacity to think such thoughts may be similar to acting on them.”

This is just an example of some of the ways the mind “argues” with itself through this torturers disorder.
    A sufferer feels like a prisoner in his own mind and struggles through life in silence through it all, and should certainly NOT be confused with what a lot of you small minded people think it is. 🙄

FeeFoo
    Free Member

…yes and all the above sound exactly like a MILD form of what you describe.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

ourmaninthenorth

As I age and feel like i have less time to let things slide, I’ve definitely become more obsessed with irrational detail. And I become annoyed at everyone for not complying with my unspecified, unarticulated rules.

Examples are differentiating between large and small forks in the cutlery drawer (to the extent I’m now going to build a new drawer liner to separate each category of cutlery).

Or the fact that my desk has nothing on it except phone, keyboard, laptop dock and screen. Wen I work only a notebook, pen(s) I’m using and minor paperwork are permitted.

I’m aware that real OCD is grim – my friend’s wife is a sufferer, and “suffer” is the word. Cleanliness and tidiness are the mild manifestations – hers are repetitive, obsessional ought based on events that haven’t happened. Not nice.

MrOvershoot

steve_b77 – Member

I always put my left sock on before the other one.
    Mine’s the right & the shoe both on before the left?

mrdestructo

If everybody didn’t have a little bit of OCD in them, life would be boring. A smart person who feels they aren’t in total control might look into dietary change, omitting caffeine and gluten.

5’s, everything in 5’s. Cars, gates, lampposts. Till my brain circuitry got snaffu’d and then things became relatively silent. Lost my extraordinary patience at the same time though.

weirdnumber
    Free Member

When I adjust the volume on anything that uses numbers as a metric for volume I can only adjust in increments that are multiples of 5 😐

Mintman
    Free Member

All notes in my wallet must all be facing the same direction (Queen facing forward) and be in sequential order with the fiver at the front.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

All notes in my wallet must all be facing the same direction (Queen facing forward) and be in sequential order with the fiver at the front.

That’s a given

Mintman
    Free Member

That’s a given

That’s reassuring!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

That’s a given

Yup. Unless you are an unpatriotic scruffy workshy shirker with no respect, Her Majesty’s face should always face away from your arse when in your wallet.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

The things you are describing are so far from the reality of real OCD.

A a long term sufferer who’s life was ruined for years by this spiteful illness, i could tell you some pretty horrific tales of the mess sufferers get themselves into coping with and fighting these illogical compulsions.

But hey, it’s the MENTAL ILLNESS it’s ok to take the piss out of, so carry on lads.

Please visit http://www.ocduk.org/ocd read some of the facts and see if it still sounds funny.

Don’t want to rant or upset people, but need to raise awareness. Funding for treatment is poor and the longer this is seen as a joke the longer this will continue.

Thanks

iDave
    Free Member

Don’t recognise any of this type of behaviour. I must be weird.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

OCD snake :

emsz
    Free Member

should certainly NOT be confused with what a lot of you small minded people think it is.

But hey, it’s the MENTAL ILLNESS it’s ok to take the piss out of, so carry on lads.

Oh, FFS lighten up 🙄

I think that most of are more than capable of understanding the difference between a bit of a routine and an actual mental disorder.

Get a sense of humour, they’re nice….

scaredypants

For ourmaninthenorth 😳

P1020902 by scaredypants, on Flickr

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

OCD IS a serious mental illness, and in many cases nothing to do with routines.
    I heve no desire to ask you to stop talking of your routines, just please don’t label them as OCD.

“The key difference that segregates little quirks, often referred to by people as being ‘a bit OCD’, from the actual disorder is when the distressing and unwanted experience of obsessions and compulsions impacts to a significant level upon a person’s everyday functioning – this represents a principal component in the clinical diagnosis of Obsessive–Compulsive Disorder.”

“In fact, it can be so debilitating and disabling that the World Health Organisation (WHO) has actually ranked OCD in the top ten of the most disabling illnesses of any kind, in terms of lost earnings and diminished quality of life.” OCD_UK website.

p.s. as for my sense of humour, it’s very much intact thankyou.

emsz
    Free Member

p.s. as for my sense of humour, it’s very much intact thankyou.

it’s just very very small, right? There’s no need to be embarrassed. 😉

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

I have just been accused of not having a sense of humour for not laughing at an illness that ruined my life for years. Hilarious 😀

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Is taking an analytical attitude towards people’s behaviour and attitudes on a bike/chat forum a form of OCD ?

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

No, but if it helps this subject hit all the right buttons with me at the wrong time 🙂

deluded
    Free Member

I like things neat and in proper arrangement. I will have to square things up so they are parallel with edges and stuff like that. My mother is fastidiously tidy. You only have to look at your parents to know where your ******-up behaviour comes from! Philip Larkin wrote a good poem about it.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

What makes you depressed rusty trowel ? For me it’s family commitments clashing with pre-arranged bike rides……happens way too often.

But tell me that depression is a serious mental illness because I obviously don’t understand that.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

I wouldn’t know ernie, i don’t suffer from depression. I’ve been a bit tied up fighting my own illness the last 10 years to look too deeply into anyone elses 😕

The family/riding thing gets on my tits sometimes, but to say it depresses me would be a lie.

Anyway, i’m off out for a rid…..to a family farm! 🙂

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I wouldn’t know ernie, i don’t suffer from depression.

That must come as a relief to people who know you. Presumably they can say stuff like “Oh look, it’s raining again – how depressing” without getting a lecture from you about the seriousness of depression as a mental illness.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Christ – are there a few hangovers on here this morning?

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Your mild OCD’ is closed to new replies.