• This topic has 67 replies, 56 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by dpfr.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Your (longest) commute distance?
  • Frankenstein
    Free Member

I may ride 36 miles round trip 18 miles each way to work 1hr and 30? Or less?

But daunted tbh with my to couch fitness and super power of a doughnut.

What’s your commute distance?

njee20
    Free Member

Only do it once a week, and usually only one way, but it’s 45-50 miles. At which point it’s basically a ride not a commute. Sometimes drive half way and do 26-30 each way.

18 each way is a great distance. Short enough to do every day (I’d probably do 4 out of 5 to bring clothes in without a bag), but not so far it’s either a real struggle to motivate yourself or totally destroy yourself.

I miss being able to commute by bike every day.

But this is in chat, so dunno if you mean time, rather than cycling specifically. In which case mine takes c2 hours each way by train. But we did this recently.

Drac

1/8 mile.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Guess it’s just distance thing.

Other half has sold her car and commutes by train. For 1-2 weeks in June/July she needs the car – so offered her mine but I need to get sone miles in before adult I guess.

I have to work till 2200 too as I take work home – or do it at work till 1800 and then ride I guess.

Drac? 1/8 of a mile lol

Unfortunately njee, it’s s village with no other connections except roads.
    Might see how close the nearest station is though and see if it connects closer to my home.

Need fitness anyway I guess.

flyingmonkeycorps

Currently 5 miles (by bicycle, natch) each way every day, which was lovely. Used to have an 18 mile each way ride but that was only a couple of times a week because I’m fat and lazy (also because there was no shower facility at work and there’s no way I could ride that far without being minging at the end).

crazy-legs

Anything more than about 15-20 miles each way for me starts becoming more of a chore and I reach the weekend not wanting to look at a bike.

Riding that every day doesn’t make you fit, it simply trains you to ride 15 miles a day while dodging traffic and stopping for lights – come the weekend you’re too wrecked to do any proper riding.

Your commute may offer a different experience though – the amount of traffic affects the enjoyment and riding style a huge amount so if you’ve got traffic free in nice scenery it’s very different to dodging buses through the urban jungle.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I used to do 15 each way up and along the Ridgway 5 days a week. I miss it, now the short route is 5miles each way but as the trails dry out. I can get a 10m route in andd whatever I want on the way back.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

3 miles to get out of the city, then the rest country lanes (A/B).

Although some are national cycle network back roads with farm fields/yellow gold.

Cars whizz by at 60mph on some areas but not too bothered unless I get hit!

Might take some life insurance so the other half can buy a car in my memory.

I would use a CX with 28mm slicks or my road bikes with 28mm and leave the work clothes once a week.

Should be a shower somewhere at work but I could stand closer to kids as punishment if they misbehave.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Mine’s 15 miles each way, along country lanes & along a cyclepath next to a dual carriageway. I’ve not done it this year but as the forecast looks half decent this week I’m tempted to get back on it this week.

simondbarnes

My usual route is 45km each way.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Each way? That’s impressive!

RustySpanner

18 miles each way, but I only do the inbound leg, which is entirely downhill.
    And I only do it in the summer.
    🙂

simondbarnes

Yes. I don’t do it every day though. And sometimes I use an e-bike 🙂

cloudnine
    Free Member

It all depends on the amount of climbing involved..
    Shortest route for me is 10 miles with 1000ft of elevation.
    Usually ride twice a week.. shortest route into work and then try and pick longer route home.. usually about 20-25 miles home with 2000 – 2500ft of elevation.
    Leaves enough energy for a decent ride at the weekend

davosaurusrex

38 miles each way 90 % down quiet country lanes. However I’ve only done it half a dozen times last summer on nice days when I can get away with arriving late and leaving early. So I don’t think it really counts.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I’ll give it a try with a Garmin next weekend.

It is flat-ish no major climbs.

Nice to see others commuting similar or far more even on an e-bike – as long it’s fun – that’s what counts.

Thanks for the encouragement – bows in respect in awe of double figures posted here.

lunge

38 miles each way. On the way in I generally ride half way then get a train the second half, I ride the full way back. In the winter I do it once, maybe twice a week, summer is 3 with a full ride in once. When I’m fit and it’s sunny it’s an absolute pleasure, when I’m not and its windy it a tad “character building”.

Daffy

I used to do 19 miles each way 4 times per week. Average time was 52mins on the way in and 55min on the way home. Headwinds suck!

My advice would be to carry as little as possible and slate one day per week as a drop off/pickup clothes and clobber day on which you use the car or bus.

MrOvershoot

Rusty Spanner – Member

18 miles each way, but I only do the inbound leg, which is entirely downhill.
    And I only do it in the summer.

Perfect 😀

Creg

15 miles each way, with some big climbs especially on the return journey.

Have the option of the old railway along the cliff top/edge for most of the route but it involves hauling the bike up a lot of steps at one particular point.

I used to ride it when I was working in a hotel and would regularly make the return journey at 3am which was great.

shermer75
    Free Member

18 miles is fine, you’ll love it. Especially if it’s in for a couple of weeks!! You’ll be wanting to do it more often by the end of it 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

It definitely won’t take more than 90 minutes, and if your route has almost no traffic lights then it’ll take a lot less

pondo

For National Cycle To Work day in 2013 I did Birmingham to Banbury and back, 90-odd miles total with a day’s work in the middle, long day that, couldn’t do it now. More normally I used to drive to either jct 15 or 12 of the M40 and cycle the rest, that was either 12 or 20 miles either way. Commute now is 12 miles and I haven’t done it in months. 🙁

swedishmatt
    Free Member

6-7 miles to work. Electric bike. Off road. 30 minutes. Can’t understand how I’m not faster! Bike every day since two-three weeks.

hammy7272
    Free Member

I used to do 28 miles each way with 2000 ft climbing. I got very fit but was tough some days. Miss it a bit now.

ac282

I do 18.5 miles each way. It can be hard to combine it with actual training.

dufusdip
    Free Member

37 miles by road, 34 by cycle routes. Occasionally do the way home taking the bike in by train. Enormous bore I know, but did it on the fat bike on Friday. Well there was actually snow over the forth road bridge so it almost felt in its element… Same time as my time on a hardtail with road tyres so went not bad and will do it again 🙂

edhornby

18 miles is doable but on the long side for a regular commuter; you need to get the showers/ locker/ bike shed etc prepared. starting now is great as you’ll have a summer of riding 🙂

Plan on doing one day a week then increase to 2 then 3, personally I would only do maximum 4 days e/w and have a midweek rest day which I would use to do kit swap on the car / train day

tomd
    Free Member

The longest I’ve done day in day out is 10 miles each way. I’ve done longer commutes but not every day as I just found it dulled my enthusiasm and energy for fun rides at the weekends or evenings.

bigdaddy

I now do 25 miles a journey, mainly Surrey country roads, but split it, so I drive in with bike on car Monday, ride home, ride back Tuesday, then drive home again. Wed off then same again thurs & Friday. It’s working well so far…

darrell
    Free Member

I do 30km one way 4 days a week
    outbound to work is by a small ferry across the fjord and then I cycle home

SaxonRider

A whopping 4 miles each way for me. No time to break a sweat, really.

schmiken

14 miles each way, typically do there and back three times a week.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

10 miles there 10 miles back. 5 days a week. Along old railway line so nice and flat and sea and estuary views all the way. I do find I now use strava (gulp) to record my times, progress and lack of fitness!!

ianfitz
    Free Member

I commute 2.5km (linear distance) between millhouses and bentsgreen in sw sheffield. this nearly always involves going the long way round out into the peak. Houndkirk, burbage, stanage, lady cannings being the usual suspects. sometimes a bit further to the hope, edale or derwent valley.

I rode very nearly 10,000km on my MTB last year doing this sort of thing 🙂

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

mine is the same OP i.e. 18 miles each way.

you need to build up to it.

https://www.strava.com/activities/537201874

dirtyrider
    Free Member

when i did it, 22 miles either way sandwiched between a 13 hour shift, 2/3 days a week

once took the long way, did 59 miles, then a 8 hour shift then 22 home

DrP

My commute is 0.3 miles. Though I do double that up to 4 trips a day as I pop home for lunch.
    Builds up a right appetite that does…

DrP

Edit – though when I worked in Pompey A+E, and would often forget no trains ran on a sunday morning I’d often end up doing the 36 miles home on the fixie after a full night shift!

bob_summers

My longest was 18ish miles e/w across London, 5 days a week as the other options were horrible. Could be shortened quite a bit by using the North Circular, which I shudder at the thought of now, but I used to do that if running late. I almost miss it now but at the time it buggered my training up.

Now is a puny 6 miles e/w, traffic free and easy enough to do on a rest day, but it does mean I’m on a bike 7 days a week, 3 times a day most days. Gets a bit old.

Edit – just remembered I did Palmers Green to New Malden for a while, some 20 odd miles.

brooess
    Free Member

In London I had a 13 mile commute, which was 16 for a while when I lived further out. Couldn’t face that more than twice a week though – it takes quite a while in heavy traffic.

Now have 6 miles each way on cycle paths which is a wonderful way to start the day, especially when it’s sunny so I do it 4 times a week, and I’m still happy to ride at the weekend

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Your (longest) commute distance?’ is closed to new replies.