Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Your favourite Stand Up Comic?
  • fervouredimage
    Free Member

I spent part of this afternoon watching a repeat of some horrible Michael McIntyre show on Comedy Central and in order to remove it from my mind I watched a Bill Hicks DVD which thankfully put my faith back in the art of Stand Up Comedy. I’ve been listening to a bit of Doug Stanhope recently who is quite interesting (don’t listen if you have have largely conservative sensibilities).

So, who’re your faves and why?

sc-xc

The funniest I saw live was Ross Noble. Over an hour of seemingly unscripted audience interaction…

fatboyslo
    Free Member

Charlie Williams …

Eh pet ?

donsimon
    Free Member

freddie Starr live in the 1980s.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Daniel Kitson.

Doug Stanhope

fervouredimage
    Free Member

The funniest I saw live was Ross Noble. Over an hour of seemingly unscripted audience interaction…

Yeah, I saw him a few years back. Quite an impressive performance but I felt exhausted at the end of it.

Kato

Chris Rock

derekrides
    Free Member

Had Mike Read to one of my stag do’s he was epic, came with a couple of strippers.

These days prefer Michael McIntyre with the kids about and pseudo polite company such is the environment at our gaff .

wrecker
    Free Member

I like richie hall, Richard prior and Craig Campbell.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Stewart Lee.
    Dara O’Briain.

bigbloke
    Free Member

This fella……

Dara Ó Briain

stompy

Tommy Tiernan……. pure brilliance

hughjardon
    Free Member

I like Stu Francis, good one liners and Mikey Flanagan is making me chuckle lately, not seen either live though 🙁

grahamt1980

Big Yin, the eddie murphy stuff is amazing too

sc-xc

Stu Francis

If you’re talking about the Canadian quick fire one liner guy – he’s good live (although the second time I saw him many of the jokes were repeated).

But if you’re talking about the original grape crusher….I’m right with you!

sc-xc

If you’re talking about the Canadian quick fire one liner guy – he’s good live (although the second time I saw him many of the jokes were repeated).

But if you’re talking about the original grape crusher….I’m right with you!

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Stewart Lee.

Stewart Lee is an incredible word-smith and hugely underrated. Not that he would care.

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

Stewart Lee for pure stand up

(bumped into Stu Francis 2 weeks ago at Bolton Town Hall ….thats all)

sc-xc

^

I said you buy one, you get one free.

donsimon
    Free Member

Is Dave Allen allowed?

fervouredimage
    Free Member

I saw Ricky Gervais at the Oxford New Theatre for his ‘Science’ show. 2 hours of my life I will never get back. Stephen Merchant was surprisingly good though.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Chris Rock

Northwind

Of the ones that aren’t dead, I really rate Jim Jeffries… His material’s not that reliable but his delivery is superb.

And Ross Noble, when he hits a good vein… He can be absolutely rubbish mind if it doesn’t click, but when it does there’s nothing else like him that I’ve seen. I saw him once in a late show in the festival, the other 3 acts that were supposed to play all gave up their slots just so they could watch him in full flow.

Garry_Lager

Louis CK is top drawer. American so not sure how much he does over here.

Frankie Boyle slays me – he’s lost his way a wee bit recently trying to be TV’s most extreme comedian, but he’ll come good again. Love his delivery.

Have to be a heretic and say Bill Hicks has dated really badly, even by the of-its-time standard of stand-up comedy. I saw him 93ish when he toured here and thought he was phenomenal, so it could be my sense of humour has atrophied.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Have to be a heretic and say Bill Hicks has dated really badly, even by the off-its-time standard of stand-up comedy. I saw him 93ish when he toured here and thought he was phenomenal, so it could be my sense of humour has atrophied.

Yeah, I know what you mean, however I remind myself that the society he was rampaging against back then is all so normal to us now. But that is what makes his material still relevant today I think.

jp-t853

I always enjoy seeing Dave Spikey old school and good fun.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Another for Billy Connoly (his early stuff). I do like Ross Noble too.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

TJ. Comedy gold!

It is a joke, isn’t it?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

And I loved Dave Allen as a kid but does he count (he sat on a stool).

derek_starship
    Free Member

Sean Lock and Mickey Flannagan for me.

iDave
    Free Member

Following a tip-off on STW I’ve been listening to Mitch Hedberg, sadly he’s dead now, but very very funny, on spotify…

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Stewart Lee

Kato

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuX-nFmL0II[/video]

NSFW as is just about everything with Chris Rock

colournoise

Of those I’ve actually seen live.

Rhod Gilbert for top-bloke-you-would-like-a-beer-with-shouty-rantiness.
    Eddie Izzard in his stand-up prime.
    Stewart Lee (moments of sheer genius and happy to plough his own furrow).
    Chris Addison (too clever by half but funny as **** and best when he touches on more ‘serious’ stuff).

Also always try to get to see Bill Bailey and Dave Gorman when they gig within driving distance.

slainte 😆 rob

zigzag69
    Free Member

Mitch Hedberg. Nicely obtuse.

spacemonkey

Haven’t really got a fav at the mo, but I’ll tell you who I recently saw on DVD and was far funnier that I expected: Sarah Millican. Pretty rude too – not what I was expecting. Dirtier and more clever than the somewhat more homely type she portrays on most shows.

Saw Eddie Izzard 2-3 years ago doing one of his prep shows. Twas more a yawn fest than anything else. used to like him but feel he’s disappeared up his own convoluted arse these days.

RustySpanner

Seriously – best I’ve ever seen live.

And

Philby

Have enjoyed the following live over the last couple of years;
    Rhod Gilbert
    Stephen K Amos
    Daniel Kitson

Drac

Caught Lee Mack on BBC 1 the other night, he was excellent I genuinely laughing. Given the rubbish stand ups of late on TV such as the dismal McIntyre.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Your favourite Stand Up Comic?’ is closed to new replies.