Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Your favourite Scottish Motorcycling roads ?
  • the_lecht_rocks

Ullapool to Lochinver…………

Yours ?

epicsteve
    Free Member

I'd go with Achnasheen to Braemore junction via Gairloch and Poolewe, although Ullapool to Durness would be up there as well.

druidh
    Free Member

Prestonpans to Gullane

epicsteve
    Free Member

I also like Tweedsmuir to Langholm via the Talla reservoir road and the B709.

the_lecht_rocks

epicsteve – is that the road from loch ???? back to peebles sort of ?

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Speaking of which… what are the roads like after the winter? Particularly the coast road from Ullapool up around the top to Thurso?

Not been up that way, or back to Orkney, in years and planning a big old motorbike tour this summer 😉

Before I moved south, the only roads I had time to ride on were around the Stirling area – but of them Glen Eagles was rather entertaining 🙂

notlocal
    Free Member

Ours-A93-are covered in sand and full of pot holes. Bring a Paris Dakar bike and you'll be fine. 😆

I expect to be very busy this summer at work if they don't fix them soon.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

A 85 Crianlaraich to oban A85 lochearnhead to crieff A823 Dunfermaline to Auchterader

Northwind

The bealach na ba. Though it's in completely the wrong place obviously 🙁

Duke's Pass near Callander is another classic, only slightly spoiled by being littered with gravel and tourbuses. And the old road from Glencoe Village to Kinlochleven to North Ballachulish as well.

For a longer ride, oh, something like Tyndrum to Tarbet to Invereray to Lochgilphead to Oban to Ballachulish (then over the bridge and round the loch) to Tyndrum is pretty great. A couple of "filler roads" but the amount of quality in that is ridiculous. I use this one for tourists, had a group of 60 round it last year, I was a wee bit worried I'd keep finding people in ditches but it worked pretty nicely in the end

clubby

Aberfeldy -> Killin -> Locheaenhead -> Crieff -> Sma Glen ->Back to Aberfeldy .

the_lecht_rocks

great stuff……………
    any more 🙂

epicsteve
    Free Member

The road over the Lecht is a classic as well – the only place I ever got my old Deauville leant over far enough to ground the centrestand on a corner.

Spaceman
    Free Member

A701 Moffat to Broughton is an absolute cracker of a road, my all time favourite.
    There's lots of good roads to the north and east of Kelso as well, the Westruther to Duns road (B6456) despite being a B road it is actually wide A road style with lots of non-blind crests and drops on it, sublime.

If driving into Scotland from the south the old dual carriageway A74 is still mostly there but now a single carriageway road, the B7076. As it's an old dual carriageway it is mentally fast with no hidden surprises on it, and all the dibble are on the M74 leaving it a totally porcine free zone! Flat out on a GSXR750 is good fun (165ish?)! The stretch from Moffat to about 12 miles north of Abingdon is particullarily good, I overtook the west coast mainline train there a few years back (the road parallels the railway in sections), got a few incredulous looks from passengers in the 100mph+ train!

Peebles, Moffat, Abingdon, Biggar, Peebles used to be a fav route of mine when I was Peebles based. When I moved to Galashiels it became, Galashiels, Selkirk, Moffat. Greenhill Stairs, Broughton, Peebles, Gala.

I love living in the south of Scotland!

epicsteve
    Free Member

I often use the B7076 as an alternave to the M74. It's well surfaced, pretty much unpoliced, empty of traffic and very fast.

I have a standard evening route for a little bimble:
    Edinburgh-Innerleithen-B709 to the A708-Cappercleuch-Tweedsmuir-Broughton-Biggar-Carnwath-Edinburgh. Only about 100 miles or so but great roads, usually empty and some great scenery.

druidh
    Free Member

epicsteve – Member

I have a standard evening route for a little bimble:
    Edinburgh-Innerleithen-B709 to the A708-Cappercleuch-Tweedsmuir-Broughton-Biggar-Carnwath-Edinburgh. Only about 100 miles or so but great roads, usually empty and some great scenery.

Makes a nice road cycle too. A wee bit more than a bimble though.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Makes a nice road cycle too. A wee bit more than a bimble though.

By bicycle that'd be a long weekend tour for me!

Another favourite motorbike road is from the Corran Ferry to Ardnamurchan.

amplebrew

Mine would have to be –

A86 that runs between Kingussie and Spean Bridge.

A830 from Fort William to Mallaig.

A82 over Glencoe once you've had a cake at the Green Wellie Stop, Tyndrum.

The run from Spean Bridge to the Bridge to Skye, A82 / A87.

8)

alanf
    Free Member

Got to be A87 Invagarry to Kyle of Lochalsh, and also carrying on to Portree.
    Most of the roads up there are great though.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Instead or going all the way to Skye though, I'd suggest turning north onto the A890 to Strathcarron, over the Bealach to Applecross then along the coast road before heading through the Torridon hills to Kinlochewe, the onto the coast at Gairloch. Then Gairloch, Poolewe, Ullapool, Achiltibue, Lochinver, Durness etc.

amplebrew

There's also that road that leads past the Devils Beeftub from Moffat, I thinks it's the A701.

amplebrew

epicsteve – Member

Instead or going all the way to Skye though, I'd suggest turning north onto the A890 to Strathcarron, over the Bealach to Applecross then along the coast road before heading through the Torridon hills to Kinlochewe, the onto the coast at Gairloch. Then Gairloch, Poolewe, Ullapool, Achiltibue, Lochinver, Durness etc.

I'll have to give that a try 8)

alanf
    Free Member

Oh and the A815 from Dunoon to Inverary is a cracker too – 2nd the A830 from FW to Malaig too

alanf
    Free Member

Anyone got any North of Ullapool (or any above that I've missed)?
    Never been any further North than that on the bike…

epicsteve
    Free Member

The coast road from Applecross to Torridon is one of the nicest sections of road in Scotland – even better than the Bealach IMHO:

Some other nice roads in the NW I have pics of:

amplebrew

I remember a few years ago riding along the A82 past Loch Lochy, when I looked to my left and saw a Tornado jet flying really low over the water 8)

I felt just like Maverick 8)

amplebrew

epicsteve – Member
    The coast road from Applecross to Torridon is one of the nicest sections of road in Scotland – even better than the Bealach IMHO:

Isn't Applecross where Monty had his great escape? 🙂

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

A830 from Fort William to Mallaig.

Am rahad nam Eilean – The Road To the Isles – great, but it was good with someone else driving so I cuold chill and enjoy the scenery

Also, Spean bridge, Loch Carron, Bealach na Ba, Applecross
    A835 from Strathpeffer to Garstan then A832 to Kinlochewe, then it gets hard work on the singletrack through Torridon

The A9 north of Dornoch is surprisingly good, then gets better if you stick to the coast on the A99, avoid John O'Groats, and head west along the A836, right at Tongue onto the A838, then just follow that road back to civilistaion. There's a beautiful little village called Kylesku, but I'd avoid getting drunk in the hotel, but if you're going to I'd avoid throwing up in the B&B garden the next day.

local to me – A92 dundee -Arbroath – dull, Arbroath – Stonehaven, just gets better and better and better, then A957 (Slug Road) to Crathies, good, (used to test ride bikes along there, ZX6R was the best bike for that section) left at Crathies onto the A83 North Deeside Road- legendary. Stop at the Hungry Highlander in Braemar, then on through Glenshee. It gets a bit like work leaving Glenshee then picks up again and is great fun until blairgwrie, then just a short ride home

glenshee

GaVgAs
    Free Member

A816 from Lochgillped to Oban is superb but often foggy!

Stu_N

Doing Talla properly:

anagallis_arvensis

I'd love to do some of these roads on the Funduro chugger but the thought of riding up from Reading puts me off. That and the dog doesnt fit in the top box

the_lecht_rocks

brilliant 🙂
    inspiration for us and the vfr12 🙂
    more pics and more suggestions gents !!!!!

banginon

the Dalveen Pass is sweet, from the Drumlanrig turn to Elvanfoot not one junction, good surface and curves to inspire. +1 for the Beeftub – Moffat to Broughton. Used to ride it every week.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Lets see if you get here on your VFR:

Islay:

The weather is rather nice at the moment so I'm trying to decide if I should take one of the motorbikes out and have breakfast at the Glen Cafe at St. Mary's Loch, or take one of the mountain bikes up into the Pentlands.

the_lecht_rocks

i'd do both 🙂

epicsteve
    Free Member

Motorbike yesterday, mountain bike today!

the_lecht_rocks

@epic – us too 🙂

Woody
    Free Member

I used to love the road from Aberdeen (South Deeside Road) to Banchory then on to Braemar. Way too busy now though to have too much fun.

Notlocal
    Any idea if there will be any recruitment in Aberdeenshire this year ?

<sorry for O/T>

the_lecht_rocks

keep the pics coming folks 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Your favourite Scottish Motorcycling roads ?’ is closed to new replies.