• This topic has 111 replies, 78 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by devs.
Viewing 32 posts - 81 through 112 (of 112 total)
  • Your favourite DESCENT anywhere?
  • lyons
    Free Member

Favourite local trail – of the back of Ivenhoe beacon, i remember walking back up once and nearly being knocked over by someone sliding down involuntarily… (its steep)

Favourite uk descent – probably the first time i rode some of the singletrack in swansea… i never did it as quick again. Or maybe A descent in the peaks, i have no idea what it is called.

Favoutite foriegn descents – 3 trails near Val Thorens. Number one was a walkers path, and was just ectremely good fun, with tons of rocks to jump off, corners to drift. It was really good fun.

number 2 – A descent from the top of a peak, it took about 40 minutes, started off along a ridge with drops either side, was steep and really technical. then went even steeper with loads of loose, tight corners. Real hang on for dear life stuff. Then it became fast with grassy singletrack, but rocks everywhere trying to catch you out. Amazingly good fum in places, and just petrifying in others. Another walkers path…

number 3 – started on man made tracks with some great berms you hit really quick, then some fast loose doubletrack. Then you had to watch out for a little turning which then rewarded you with 20 minutes of the best riding EVER. it was fast, twisty, loose singletrack. about 1 and a half foot at the widest place, at others only a faint trail through the flowers that lined the trail… Brilliant.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Its the bit before that cheese after the left hand switchback to the bombhole – pedal down there without touching the brakes its just soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo quick! Even madder when theres a foot of leaves and you can't see if theres anything under them!

Gary_C

Local:Gorple Road down towards Worsthorne,plenty fun/air off the rain bars.Just be careful in crosswinds tho!!

Scotland:Bynack More,down towards Ryvoan Bothy.Oh & another vote for Carn Ban Mor too!

Not so local(!):Plenty in Whistler bike park,but linking Freight Train-No Joke-Drop In Clinic-Freight Train-Dirt Merchant-Lower A Line,& finishing with the GLC Drop has got to be the best continuous run in the park.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

My range is limited so…

1. Exmoor: Webber's Post to Holford – trail variations, line options, roots, rocks, and speed is optional.
    2. Qs: Smith's Combe – fast into scary steep and rough, fast blind corners, streams.
    3. Last part of Marin
    4. Last part of Brechfa Gorlech
    5. Mark of Zorro – Nant-yr-Arian

Northwind

Nevis red + Fort William WC DH from the wallride down, slightly unfair since it's 6km of constant descent but it's pretty damn good. If it were a regular trail centre it'd be about 7 different descents with gaps between but instead it's one big one.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Home-ish, The Matador in Innerleithen, a bit of everything.
    Away, The woods section at the end of the Megavalanche, Alp D'huez. Flying through some of the best singletrack ever in a train.

Bagstard

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Gorple Rd is really good fun for flat out speed / seeing how fast you dare go!

jimster
    Free Member

The "Rabbit run" off the Beacon followed by the switchbacks when you get a clear run with no poxy walkers dawdling!!!

robdob
    Free Member

Jacobs Ladder (surprised nobody has said this?)

I don't really enjoy it to be honest. It's just too rocky to be fun. It's not technical just very rough.

What about the bridlway from the mam tor road gap NE down towards edale? Fast and plunges into the rocky tree lined gully IIRC. Wonderful.

will
    Free Member

robdob – Member

Jacobs Ladder (surprised nobody has said this?)

I don't really enjoy it to be honest. It's just too rocky to be fun. It's not technical just very rough.

What about the bridlway from the mam tor road gap NE down towards edale? Fast and plunges into the rocky tree lined gully IIRC. Wonderful.

I love Jacobs. You just have to hit it so fast, then it is really fun!

In terms of cavedale, yes, it is great fun! Quite technical, god knows why you woudl want to go up it 😆
    See my vid of down it: http://vimeo.com/5871395

Think I know which decent you on about. It is fun, very fast, with some nice ruts you have totry and stay out or stay in 🙄

D0NK

Nice vid Will, looks like a decent run, is the steep bit (2:00-2:30) ever dry?

Can't believe only 1 person* has mentioned walna scar
    Birketts leap in borrowdale
    Along old park beck into seathwaite
    Loadpot hill-cockpit-howtown for sheer longevity

*I also can't believe he put san marino above it 😉

devs
    Free Member

Ahem, I did mention Jacob's Ladder. I was first, me me me!

Gonna add Golspie now too. Don't think there's another one that makes me smile so much at the bottom.

FG
    Free Member

Gonna have to visit Golspie now after the comments over the last few days.

My favourite descent nearby is Mast Blast on Ben Aigen – just a fast grinner with lots of small jumps.

Favourite foreign descent has to be the Swiss DH off Pointe de Mossette down to Les Crosets.

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

Rangers Path – Snowdon
    Death Valley – Malvern

Cachette – Les Arcs
    Cwmcarn DH (what can I say, I likes my DH full blast fast)

didmatt
    Free Member

I love Jacobs. You just have to hit it so fast, then it is really fun!

In terms of cavedale, yes, it is great fun! Quite technical, god knows why you woudl want to go up it
    See my vid of down it: http://vimeo.com/5871395

Think I know which decent you on about. It is fun, very fast, with some nice ruts you have totry and stay out or stay in

Very nice vid, i'll have to deffo work that descent into my next ride in the peaks!

FG
    Free Member

Is cavedale the one down from Rowter Farm into Castleton?

D0NK

cavedale
    Steep wet rocky bit not for the fainthearted

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Walna scar for me also.I never get bored of it.Although the decent from fell top down into troutbeck runs it pretty close.

FG
    Free Member

Cheers Donk. That was the one I was thinking of. Good one that.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Last descent on the Marin
    Wayfarer Trail, Berwyns
    Boundary Trail, Glentress
    Iron Keld, The Lakes

freeride_addict
    Free Member

can I have three best? choosing one is just not possible!

best for extreme grin factor and ultimate swoopy flowiness that just goes on for ever and ever, (like 30km+ unbroken singletrack that takes about 2 hours of virtually non stop descending!) ….trailAddiction's Mont Jovet enduro ride.

video footage here

then again, ask me tomorrow and I might give you a different answer. SO hard to decide!

freeride_addict
    Free Member

try again with the pic!

chakaping
    Free Member

Riverbed?

Maybe, starts with a dip from the main path into what you might call a channel, few different line choices. Great for racing your mates.

Gets really rocky and runs alongside a fence for a bit, I remember that because I fixed my puncture next to it.

Comes out on the road opposite the back of a white barn or outbuilding.

steve_b77
    Free Member

1 – Last descent on the Marin
    2 – Cader Idris from the plateaux below the summit
    3 – Cli-Machx Final descent
    4 – Some route I did up near some waterfall in wales that's taller than virgin falls?, sooper fast with switch-backs

fizzer
    Free Member

Carn Man Mor

Lairigh an Laoigh

Super Morzine (under the lift)

Walna Scar

Whalley Nab (home turf)

Bernaard
    Free Member

Bernaard
    Free Member

teagirl
    Free Member

If you know that bridleway that drops down to Eaves Lane and Church Lane in Hebden Bridge. Not singletrack but a big grin end to a ride so long as there are no happy hikers around.

Tess
    Free Member

Walna Scar

lowey

Wheres the 2nd Pic bernard ?

davey_clayton
    Free Member

My favourite descent was the track from Slatepit moor between Swineshaws res and Mossley. Sorry, it's cheeky. I used to ride it every day and I knew it so well I could bomb down ot full throttle, my arms were shaking when I got to the bottom. The last time I got to ride it before I moved to Germany this year, I got stopped by a farmer and bollocked. It really felt like the end of an era.

devs
    Free Member

Hello FG, have we met? Are you a member of the Moray MBC? I can't guess who you are!! 😳

Viewing 32 posts - 81 through 112 (of 112 total)

The topic ‘Your favourite DESCENT anywhere?’ is closed to new replies.