Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Your favourite – and least favourite – accents
  • GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Personally, I think the Geordie accent is great.

Least favourite is the Brummie accent – bloody awful!

Yours?

Liftman

Faves Yorkshire, least faves cockney

loddrik
    Free Member

Don’t mind brummie. Absolutely cannot stand Bristol/west country. Makes my skin crawl. Can’t stand geordie on women. Indian irritates the hell out of me too, but that’s probably related to having to speak to clueless call centres. Yorkshire and Lancs are pretty awful too.

frankconway

Geordie is good but proper Northumbrian is better.
    Bristolian/ SW and Scouse are ok.
    Cockney is not ok.
    Brummie can be either ok or not, dependant on who is talking.
    East Midlands accent is ok but being addressed as ‘duck’ – you can duck right off.

km79
    Free Member

Best accent I’ve ever heard was a Spanish-Irish mix. The woman who had it might have had something to do with it though.

I also like a good Glaswegian-Indian accent, best with lot’s of swearing.

Least favourite is the Brummie accent – bloody awful!

Can’t argue with that.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Favourite is Geordie. Least favourite is Scouse. I’m not mad keen on my own either (Leeds/Wakefield tempered with a bit of Bratfud)

rascal
    Free Member

Detest a thick Scouse accent. Brum/Black Country crap also.
    Quite like Norn Iron accent especially a lady 😉

jambourgie
    Free Member

Quite like Norn Iron accent especially a lady

Oh yes!

Miranda Richardson in ‘The Crying Game’ 😉

SaxonRider

Geordie = beautiful

Brummie = not so much so

Also:

Essex makes my ears bleed

Almost all Scottish accents are lovely (when spoken by women).

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Geordie is good but proper Northumbrian is better.

Prroppa Northumbrrian is a spoken art, I love it. That guttural ‘rrrurrling’ of the letter R has to be heard to be believed.

That’s my fave. Southern Irish next followed by NE Scottish. (Love John Bishops accent though)

hairyscary

Anything north of Inverness seems to be a lovely mellow Scottish accent with a hint of Scandinavian the further north you go, beautiful.
    A strong scouse accent physically repulses me.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Almost all Scottish accents are lovely (when spoken by women).

Agreed.

I think accents suit the person. Although I’m not keen on the Brummie accent it suits Ozzy Osbourne perfectly.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

A strong scouse accent physically repulses me.

🙂

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Love Maxine Peake’s and Simon Armitage’s accents
    Hate trying-too-hard posh (brilliantly demonstrated/parodied by Beatrice in C4’s The Windsors)

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Essex makes my ears bleed

Oh you’d luv me, sunshine… 🙂

Scouse … stop all the spitting… ‘orrible

Lancashire … I’d happily listen to David Lloyd all day.

CheesybeanZ

Northern irish is quite brutal on the ears .

dumbbot
    Free Member

Despite actually being from around Glasgow, I do hate to hear a common, dirty weegie accent on TV. N’aaw that man.

They just sound stupid.

Houns

Hate scouse, it’s like finger nails on a chalkboard to me. Also dislike Black Country and Brummie, bummer really.

Fave is a nice soft Female South Yorkshire accent

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Waiting for CFH to creepily mention that French girl again…. 3…2….1

robbo1234biking

Like my wifes North Yorkshire accent.

I don’t know if it is just because she is so irritating but cant stand Nicola Sturgeon’s Scottish accent (but dont mind other Scottish accents so think it is more her!)

weeksy

Italian on the ladies, or i’d go with Geordie/Welsh if we have to stick to the UK… But it also depends on the person it’s associated with of course.

Drac

A female with a deep voiced Lancashire accent lovely, yeah I know.

Essex just awful and seem to love to hear themselves.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Well, she does have a rather alluring tone, HYD!

Anyway, the finest accent is clearly Richard Burton. That softest of Welsh lilts combined with such clarity.

The worst accent is Germans speaking English. It just tends to come across wrong, too stentorian at times.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

tru dat (Richard Burton)!

jekkyl

on the ladeyz…. East Coast Scottish or Italian.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

South Wales accent on a female, oh yes.

Harsh NI accent on a bloke, oh no. Heard known accomplice of a well known former loyalist terrorist talking in a pub one day this summer, sounded liking he was choking on a brick. I wish he was tbh.

bodgy
    Free Member

Can’t stand Geordie, it’s far too clipped and harsh. It also makes the speaker sound dim.

The Devonshire accent is nice and soft, as long as they don’t sound like too much of a wurzel.

But best of all has to be Hereford/Lower Marches, as it has the warmth and softness of a southern rural rolling lilt, without the brashness of the Bristol accent.

As has been mentioned, a lot of it comes down to the individual speaker.

FuzzyWuzzy

Brummie is by far the worst for me, scouse second then probably geordie. I’m glad I don’t have a West Country accent but it doesn’t bother me (lived near Bristol for a while now)

nickc

Highland Scots when it almost sounds Scandinavian, I’m not a massive fan of black country.

bikebouy
    Free Member

All accents are good, it’s the middle England mish mash embarrassment and portrayal of “Marlow Grammar” that gets on my tits.

globalti
    Free Member

They say there are seven different Scouse accents; there’s a woman in our labs who is strongly Scouse and every time she sees me she calls me “Mr R…” using my surname; I don’t know if it’s out of genuine but misplaced respect or just for fun but I find it and her accent a big turn-on and I fantasize about doing very dirty things to her. Is this normal? Should I seek psycholocical help?

teasel
    Free Member

Can’t stand Geordie, it’s far too clipped and harsh. It also makes the speaker sound dim.

🙂 Harsh

I’m easy, though I find some hard to grasp – thick Cornish, for example. But in general it’s what folk are saying that’ll get to me before any accent.

giantalkali
    Free Member

Nothing can compare with the Gravesend chav accent. It’s the sound of a grubby hand stuffed down a pair of grimy trackies.

whitestone
    Free Member

Cockney/esturine is appalling. Don’t mind most of the other regional accents but it does depend on the speaker and the local variant.

redthunder
    Free Member

Would it be better to listen what people are saying, rather than poo-pooing thier accents ?

Just saying like!

PS Caramel Bunny here 🙂

Tell us your accent OP and rest of you lot 🙂

theotherjonv

being pedantic here (but i can be as my Mum’s family were all from Walker and Wallsend), proper Geordies are within hoying distance of the Tyne, so all these talking of Geordie accents probably wouldn’t like a real Geordie accent as much as they think – it’s quite harsh. But come a few miles south to Durham and i think it’s beautiful, like Geordie but with a sing-song element to it.

Southern Irish to me, knew a girl from there once whose voice was like runny honey to a sore throat. And also some scottish, but that might be from Gregory’s Girl in my formative years.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Middle of the toon Geordie spoken by a thick chav with nowt but fresh air between his ears makes me feel ashamed of my homeland ..as in Geordieshore ..
    A Northumberland accent is nicer especially by a fit woman rolling her rrrrs 😉
    Fiery Irish women ( North & South ) ..wowsa..also like .
    Don’t really like west country / Brizzle type accents or Manc ..purely because they are Manc. 8)

vickypea
    Free Member

I like most regional accents, including Mancunian, Scouse, Brummie. I think my favourites are Northumbrian and Glaswegian.
    Thinking further afield, I like a Greek accent.
    The only one I’m not keen on is that American accent where the women talk with a “creaky” voice, it grates on my ears after a while.

arrpee
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/Ein57OSrqoA[/video]

I’ll just leave this here.

nickc

Caramel bunny voice…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Your favourite – and least favourite – accents’ is closed to new replies.