Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)
  • Your commute – Distance? Average speed?
  • richmtb

8 miles each way, through Glasgow just over 30min depending on traffic and lights

monksie
    Free Member

4 miles- 60 minutes

Gary_M
    Free Member

19.6 miles each way, all road – over a moor on a cycle path then through the suburbs into south side of Glasgow. Quite a lot of climbing.

19.6mph average yesterday (took me 1hour 2 seconds), and 16.8mph home.

njee20
    Free Member

Depends which way I go and whether I just ride in or do intervals!

Steady flat ride in this morning: 15.17 miles at 18.41mph/190W, last night was the long hilly route 29.15 miles at 17.12mph/209W, or there's the short hilly route, which yesterday morning was 15.28 miles, 17.50mph/221W.

Couldn't do the same route every day, I'd get bored!

ski
    Free Member

New route for me at last, no more nasty road commutes for me, yay.

New offroad route:

Using the free trackr on my Nokia:
    http://www.trackr.eu/

DenDennis
    Free Member

nixon_fiend – Member

8 miles each way .. 30 mins through central london though with 6000 sets of traffic lights.

Average speed?No idea, I'd guess 46 mph

bloody hell. unless you're running red lights, I take it you commute on a superlight TT bike with full flash gordon helmet, averaging in the high 30s when on the move?

dufresneorama
    Free Member

3 miles all national cycle network

11 minutes today but normally give myself 30min including shower and getting changed.

by the power of mathematics….16mph

will
    Free Member

When i can bike in it.s 37 miles each way. Did it last week and took 1.45 on the way in. Mixture of town and country roads. From north nottingham, to leicester.

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Will – if you dont race then perhaps you should think about starting to do so pretty bloody soon.

ahwiles
    Free Member

8 miles; 35 mins to work / 45 mins home.

(i live at the top of a big hill)

mostly quiet city streets for 2ish miles, canal towpath for 3ish miles, offroad for final 2.

is good fun.

anyone got some 450mm a-c rigid forks going cheap?

njee20
    Free Member

8 miles each way .. 30 mins through central london though with 6000 sets of traffic lights.

That's only 16mph, if you get lucky on the lights that seems plausible.

Will – if you dont race then perhaps you should think about starting to do so pretty bloody soon.

+1, that is bloody fast, 21.1mph on a commute. Fair play.

Edit: being the creepy stalker that I am, you need to knock MTB racing on the head, 16 minutes off the pace in Sport at Midlands XC1, and take up TTing/road racing, or you need to recalibrate your computer!

DenDennis
    Free Member

njee20 – Member

That's only 16mph, if you get lucky on the lights that seems plausible.

errr, yes, if I got lucky on every single set of lights for 8 miles in london I'd be buying a few lottery tickets too.
    factoring in even 5mins for light stops you average 19mph. still not realistic imo given stop/start/slowing/weaving buses/cabs….
    agreed possible, but you'd prob die within a few attempts either getting hit by a bus/tourist/fixie hipster not paying attention

llama

If I do the full distance its 35.5 miles each way and takes anything from 2 – 2.5 hours depending on weather, fitness, and company. I did something like 16.5 average there and back on Wednesday total 72 ish miles.

will
    Free Member

haha! Nice hunting njee! I had a awful race that day, so wasn't riding well.
    21 on a road bike sounds fast, but if you get your head down it's fine. Didn't have a computer on, timed on my watch.
    Don't want to quit mtb racing, mayhem this weekend 😉

njee20
    Free Member

You weren't riding well at D2D either?

21 on a road bike is bloody fast, unless your return journey took you 4 hours due to the 100mph headwind…

will
    Free Member

😆 I was actually quite happy with my D2D race, first solo 12hr.

I should confess that on the way home I got the train because I needed to pick the car up 🙄

joemarshall
    Free Member

A bit over 16 miles. Fastest I've done it in is 54:13, which made for an 18.1 mph average (proper average including stops, not a stupid cheating average). It does have just over 1000 foot of climbing, which slows things down a little.

I'm confident mine is accurate – distances & height gain off google maps, and I have gps tracks of almost every day too.

Joe

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Previously: 15 miles, 50min going in, 40-45min on the way home as I'd woken up and eaten lots of harribo.

Used to do that 4 days a week!

Since then my knee has given up the ghost, I could probably only manage it in 50min now and it'd take a week for my knee to recover.

Nowadays: 6 miles ~25-30min as I cant be arsed breaking a sweat. And only a couple of days a week.

njee20
    Free Member

15 miles in 40 minutes is pretty special, another one for TTing!

crazy-legs

Gotta love all these 21-22mph average speeds on road bikes!

Clearly there are far more Elite riders on here than I thought, perhaps some of you should be doing the Tour Series or the National Road Race Championships!

will
    Free Member

😆

Don't think you realise STW is a hive of Elite riders!

njee20
    Free Member

Actually there's at least 3 who regularly post, and others who crop up from time to time!

foxyrider
    Free Member

7 miles into town – 22 mins 🙂 Sl hills but nothing mad 🙂

Road bike – yes, Elite rider – No, Fit – fairly but not insanely, Riding – MTB but road ride a bit 🙂 (My resume 🙂 )

DrDomRob
    Free Member

15ish miles more or less all off road, takes me between an hour and an hour and 15mins depending on how fit I am feeling.

will
    Free Member

I stand corrected on distance! It was 33.5miles in 1.45 😆

Just looked through my phone and it's mapped it.

Gary_M
    Free Member

21 on a road bike sounds fast, but if you get your head down it's fine

Every time these threads come up you get fantastic tales of great speed. 21mph on a road bike is very fast, I couldn't get near that on a solo ride.

tonyd

About 5.5 miles each way for me in about 25 minutes, never actually clocked it. So about 13mph, on a '94 rigid MTB with panniers – it's quite hard to stop in a hurry with a bit of weight in the panniers (and on me), some rain, and very old canti brakes!

OmarLittle
    Free Member

14 miles and about 50 minutes

Its a fine balance between getting there quickly and pushing too hard that i'll be soaking with sweat for half the morning (no shower at work so only have a sink to wash with)

Hammo
    Free Member

12 miles each way / 45 mins-ish leaving enough time to have a shower and a coffee before work.

There truly are some rockets on here, I think I generally average 14/15mph but have no desire to bust my guts getting to work.

large418
    Free Member

19km, B roads with some undulations (can't call them hills) and a small bit of cyclepath – used to take 38 minutes, with one 35 minute (road bike) time. Now takes 42 minutes (rigid slicked MTB) as my head has got bored of pushing it every day (and I am struggling to get back up to full strength after breaking my leg last year). That's with a rucksack of varying weight (depending whether I carry the laptop).

In 8 years commuting, am now on my 3rd set of wheels (rims wear out), but original jockey wheels (they're about the size of a 5p now). I am experimenting with jockey wheels to see whether the amount of wear affects shift quality – currently have concluded that on my cheapo commuter bike it doesn't, and on my good MTBs it also doesn't, but on the good MTBs worn jockey wheels look bad. On the commuter I don't care if they look bad.

voodoo-rich

14 miles each way, all road, 1 hour. Only once a week at the mo, getting up at 5:45 is too hard 🙂

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Back in the real World – it's not an "official" commute (work from home) but I ride a route 3 times a week – very hilly (four hills are over 20% and more than 150 metres long), some off road, some rural, a very small bit of urban, no traffic lights.

Set my record this morning – 12.5 miles, 55m07s averaging 13.5mph

My "standard" road bike route is again very hilly and 24 miles – usually average around 16mph.

Lots of variables though – sometimes have to stop for something (often a tractor turning), sometimes ran the night before (really slows me down), etc.

Enjoy it though and it helps keep a decentish base fitness level.

On my "full on" MTB ride (very steep and technical hills and drops most of the way) I average well under 10mph.

Some of your commutes (35 miles + EACH WAY?!!) and times (ahem) are crazy!

IanMunro
    Free Member

5 miles each way. Roughly 20 mins.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I think we can assume that our commutes are not really comparable due to too many variables 😉

finbar
    Free Member

Bit less than two miles, i probably average a speed north of 25mph

(That is going down the hill to work. Going back up i probably average 2.5mph)

bigbadbaz
    Free Member

5 miles, 22 minutes, uphill going to work, uphill coming home.

chriswilk
    Free Member

road – 25 miles round trip with about 400m climbing – 85 to 90 minutes.
    off road – 26 miles round trip >800m climbing – 2 hours 20

robdob
    Free Member

Huddersfield to Leeds, 16.5 miles, fastest was 56 minutes so average of 17 mph.
    I'm always at the back on every MTB ride I do to make a comparison in fitness. I'm feeling quite good about my commute time now!!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

uphill going to work, uphill coming home.

Either you cross a valley or you are defying some simple laws of nature here?!!

bigbadbaz
    Free Member

Live at the top of one hill and work at the top of another.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘Your commute – Distance? Average speed?’ is closed to new replies.