Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)
  • Your commute – Distance? Average speed?
  • richcc
    Free Member

I do 12.5 miles each way. Half A road and fast dual carriageway, half through the town. Takes me 45 minutes.

16.7mph true average – not computer stopping when I stop.

cynic-al
    Free Member

4.75 miles 20-25 minutes in town.

nbt

6 miles door to door. 25 minutes on average

clowner
    Free Member

11 miles each way

Typically 30min on the way in and 35min on the way back

cheers_drive

31 miles each way – today it was 16mph on the way out and 18.5mph on the way home. 7 miles of city and town riding the rest all open road. Today was the first time I could be arsed or organised to do it this year 😀
    If it was half the distance I'd do it everyday.

ton

6 miles on and offroad, 30 mins.

Aidy
    Free Member

17.5 miles each way, reckon the true average is about 15 mph.

Be faster if it wasn't for all the traffic lights.

rs
    Free Member

6.9km each way

10 mins there (avg 41kph), 45 mins back (avg 9kph)

Stu_N

when I do the whole thing it's 14 miles in and about 50 mins total – 8 out of town and 6 through traffic. Home is 16 miles and about an hour or an hour and 5 – go a different way as it's nicer, hillier and avoids a horrible right turn.

Park and ride to work is 5.5 miles and 18 to 20 mins depending on traffic. Have done it in 15.10 though that was almost no traffic and a clean run on all but 2 sets of lights…

nixon_fiend
    Free Member

8 miles each way .. 30 mins through central london though with 6000 sets of traffic lights.

Average speed?No idea, I'd guess 46 mph :mrgreen:

Aidy
    Free Member

8 miles each way .. 30 mins through central london though with 6000 sets of traffic lights.

Average speed?No idea, I'd guess 46 mph

That would be 16mph…

fingerbike
    Free Member

21 miles, when i've worked it out I get an average of about 14mph, do a few dirttracks to avoid a couple of roads that are used as rat runs by HGV's and are not fun to ride down in rush hour..

jonb
    Free Member

6 miles, 40 minutes door to desk including getting changed.

tails
    Free Member

7 miles around half an hour give or take depending how awake I am.

ourmaninthenorth

17 miles each way. 19mph average, but that's because the last 7 miles are open country roads. Don't tend to hammer it.

andrewh
    Free Member

8 miles in, average just shy of 18mph, not bad for one gear. Just over 20mph on the geared bike.

On the way back? Varies wildly depending on route. No variation on the way in as I'm always late and have to go the short way!

smiffkin

14 miles. Mostly along canal, but last 3 miles along busy road into town. 45-50 minutes in and 55-60 mins home (all the locks (25) are uphill and more pedestrians on towpath!)

Vortexracing

21 miles either way, best has been 19.2MPH.

Only managed that on the way into work, not on the way home though, too much traffic

crazy-legs

17.5 miles. Record is 53 minutes in (it's mostly downhill on the way in!) It usually takes pretty much bang on an hour, a few minutes longer coming home. Surprisingly doesn't change much due to traffic, the biggest change is from a good run of traffic lights followed by the weather – wind can have a big effect on time.

If I go the scenic route (canal towpath, bridleways, bike paths) then it usually takes about 90 minutes depending on weather and which bits I do/don't do – there are multiple options to extend or shorten the route.

Exactly the same as the OP, 12.5 miles from South Manchetser to Warrington in 45 minutes.

amplebrew

I have a few different routes depending on what shift I'm on and also how fit or unfit I'm feeling.

6 miles – 25 mins
    10 miles – 40 mins
    13 miles – 55 mins

Surfr
    Free Member

5.5 miles, 167M ascent, 13.1 MPH average.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/31421941

radoggair
    Free Member

clowner – Member
    11 miles each way

Typically 30min on the way in and 35min on the way back

Thats some average speed, 22mph in and about 20.5 on the way back. Thats very impressive if true

richcc
    Free Member

Anyone knocking on towards 20 is impressive. As someone else said, biggest determiner of speed for me is catching traffic lights well, and having a clear run through Muckley corner roundabout

Aidy
    Free Member

Thats some average speed, 22mph in and about 20.5 on the way back. Thats very impressive if true

It's not that quick for a road bike if there aren't many lights.
    I've certainly averaged 23-24mph over 70ish miles without pushing it on traffic light friendly roads.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I do 15 miles, 1100ft of climbing on the way to work 1200ft on the way home, crossing the Quantock hills (mostly on country lanes), it usually takes between 55 to 60 minutes, but if I take an offroad detour more like 1 hour 20.

richcc
    Free Member

Aidy. Unless you're riding in a group or wearing a smurf hat and riding a time trial bike I reckon 70 miles in 3 hrs is seriously impressive. Good work fella

Forge_Master
    Free Member

13 miles mostly off road, dodging roe deer and rabits in an hour.

walla24
    Free Member

30mins-4miles there 8mph
    15mins-4miles back 16mph

**** big hill mind 😀

richmars

12.5 miles each way, 40 to 45 mins so 16 to 18 ish mph.

donsimon
    Free Member

18-20km in about an hour on ss through the middle of Madrid.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

60 miles an averaging about 65/70mph I imagine.

Sandwich

Off-road 15 miles-ish in an hour and 10. Road routes vary depending on how keen I'm feeling but average speed is around 17mph whether it's 12 miles or 25! Fast I am not.

andy7t2
    Free Member

5 1/2 miles 20 min in the rain
    30 mins in the sunshine

Bedds
    Free Member

I do 8.5 miles.. usually around 30 mins, best time is 26 on the way home, about 35 mins on the way home 🙂

thesurfbus
    Free Member

25.5 miles each way, averaged 18.5mph this morning, quite a few traffic lights, some dodgy cycle paths, on a road bike with no panniers or rucksack.
    Uphill on the way home, will take about the same time, but I always feel better after work.

Thats not every day, just on a friday.

Doug

yossarian
    Free Member

8 and a half miles, about 40 mins

mixture of gravel path and back roads.

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Going on some of the above numbers some of you must be very very fit and live in seriously flat places with no traffic – either that or be telling porkies.

Baldysquirt

I think it's about 5-6 miles, 80% off road with about 180m of climbing – takes about 40-45mins.

M005
    Free Member

12.5 miles, rural A road, start in a town, through a few villages and end in a town.
    Takes 48-50 minutes, which is ~ 15mph average.

Currently using an old Trek 4300 MTB with semi slicks on, am on the lookout for a roadbike which would hopefully increase the speed and drop the time.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘Your commute – Distance? Average speed?’ is closed to new replies.