Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Your book of the year
  • maxtorque

Command and Control by Eric Schlosser

How the USA didn’t blow us all up in the Cold War i’ll never know. Some of the stuff in that book is properly scary!

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Fiction: The Golem and the Djinni by Helen Wecker.
    None Fiction: Not sure I read any this year. If I did it doesn’t sound like I’d recommend it!

Vader
    Free Member

Churchill by Roy Jenkins. Fascinating, timely and involving, all at once.

Doppler by Loe Erland. Proper curveball stuff that came out of the blue from a distant friend. I’m still not sure what it all means, maybe nothing.

Of Human Bondage, Somerset Maugham. Possibly one of my favourite books of the last 5 years. Effortless writing about everything and nothing

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Seveneves

footflaps

Hardback was 2015, paperback was this year.

Best non-fiction book I’ve ever read.

Denis99
    Free Member

Rendezvous with Rama – Arthur C Clark

The lies of Locke Lamora – Scott Lynch , probably the best I have read in a while

The Well of Ascension – Brandon Sanderson

The Power of the dog – Don Winslow

American Gods – Neil Gaiman

langylad
    Free Member

Peter May, The Black House.
    China Mieville, Kraken was a bizarre but absorbin recommendation from here, Flashman also recommended from here.
    Just ordered The lies of Locke Lamora as seems to be liked on here

cheese@4p

Lipstick Traces by Greil Marcus. So good I’ve read it twice and will return to it again.
    A tricky read and not everyone’s cuppa political tea but highly recommended to the old punks and anarchos on here.

wittonweavers
    Free Member

Well following on from this thread I have just finished reading ‘The Lies of Locke Lamora’ by Scott Lynch and what a great read it was! Thanks for the recommendation it was excellent!

BikePawl
    Free Member

Adrian Tchaikovsky – Children of Time

nickhit3
    Free Member

Haynes Manual: Peugeot 308 petrol

DezB
    Free Member

Read it. Preferred his earlier work.

nickhit3
    Free Member

Read it. Preferred his earlier work.

I tend to agree. It’s a little sluggish you’re right, but It’s full of twists to keep it interesting. Less sweary than the seminal ‘Haynes Manual 2009 Citroen C1 Petrol though which if I’m honest, was a disappointment.

DezB
    Free Member

‘Assembly is the reverse of removal’ – That’s my favourite bit. (From Hillman Imp 1970)

ThePinkster

This
    Or any of the series really as I re-reasd them all last year before this came out.

ThePinkster

Although is was a damn good read too

nickhit3
    Free Member

‘Assembly is the reverse of removal’ – That’s my favourite bit. (From Hillman Imp 1970)

I’ve not read that one sadly, but I like the sound of that. The chapter on brake light cluster removal on the 308 (esp the line about circlip pliers!!- those who read it as a 13 y/o will know what i mean ;)) still resonates with me as an adult. They were very different times mind you. Tried the Audible version recently of the old C1 Manual as a free download. Not the same, narrator was very distracting- particularly his Northern Irish accent which to this day i still don’t fully understand the reason for. Its a French car ffs!

Wookster

The Nazi Hunters by Damien Lewis. What a brilliant book telling a true story of how the SAS post WW2 went after the Nazis who executed a number of their captured comrades.

frankconway
    takisawa2

Eagerly awaited part 3 of a trilogy.
    Simply brilliant.
    Read it on holiday in Norfolk.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/RreyHT]City of Mirrors[/url] by pten2106, on Flickr

mikey74
    Free Member

@Takisawa

Yeah, very good. A worthy conclusion. I was relieved as part 2 wasn’t so great.

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Your book of the year’ is closed to new replies.