Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • your best pizza dough recipe
  • glasgowdan
    Free Member

I’m making pizza for dinner and wonder if anyone wants to share their recipe before I go ahead with the plain one in the breadmaker 🙂

bruneep
    Stoner
    Free Member

1/3 plain flour, 2/3 strong white bread flour (I may use 50:50 strong and Wessex mills mixed pepper and basil strong flourn for the strong flour bit)

half a cube of fresh yeast from morrisons (they do it in the fresh pastry section – bloody brilliant, 10x better than dried yeast)

half a teaspoon of sugar with a cup of water for the yeast to get going in.

lashings of olive oil, pepper and a pinch of salt in the dough. Add water till you get where you need to.

Knead twice on polenta grains.

2tyred

After reading the thread in bruneep’s post above, I tried the fridge-proving for 24-48 hours, taking it out to reach room temp for a few hours before working with it.

I’ve been making pizza dough most weeks for probably about 10 years now, and I reckon this has been the thing that has improved the end result more than anything else. Do it whenever I remember to now.

I use a 50/50 split of plain and strong bread flour, salt, fresh yeast mashed with sugar, olive oil and water. Bake on a hot stone sprinkled with semolina flour. Oven’s not as hot as I’d like it to be, so I usually give the stretched and formed base a minute or two in the oven before adding the sauce.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I’ve used this one a few times with good results.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/recipe/pizza-dough/

jimmy

I think I’ve only made pizzas once and used the sourdough starter I have. It… was… awesome…

sandwicheater

We (and by that I mean my wife) have been experimenting with doughs of late. Not sure our current mix but will give that fridge 24-48 hrs a go (again I mean my wife will give it a go once I tell her).

We have a pizza stone and find once the stone is hot a quick 30 seconds blast with the dough in the oven (once rolled) has helped.

EDIT: That’s the one we (she) used posted by jools ^^

joolsburger
    Free Member

You can also use the same dough from the no knead bread recipe – It’s also well worth making the bread!

No Knead Bread: so easy a 4-yr old can make it!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/001199.html
    This one, it’s a Peter Reinhart, best left over night though.

lemonysam
    Free Member

I’d probably go with Ken Forkish’s recipe:
    http://www.oregonlive.com/mix/index.ssf/bread-recipes/overnight_straight_pizza_dough.html

bloody brilliant, 10x better than dried yeast

Is right up there with a Woppit HiFi posting or 650b bring the trail to life…

Stoner
    Free Member

I stand by my faith in uni-directional yeast.

leffeboy

This

1/3 plain flour, 2/3 strong white bread flour

and this

After reading the thread in bruneep’s post above, I tried the fridge-proving for 24-48 hours,

are worth the effort. OO flour is great if you can find it at a sensible price as well

willej

• 300g strong flour
    • 1 tsp dried yeast
    • 1/2 tsp good salt
    • 30g extra virgin olive oil, with a handful of fresh rosemary whizzed-up in it
    • 180g (ish) of water

Kneaded until lovely then allowed to prove at room temp for 3 or 4 hours. Rolled out, slung onto preheated stones and toppings applied. Into 250°C oven for 12 mins or so. Job is a good one.

We used to use the barely any kneading and proved in the fridge technique when we used to make sourdough, works a treat.

travellinjones
    Free Member

For years I used a basic Jamie Oliver recipe, which was good but not great.

A couple of recent changes have made a massive difference:-

1. Pizza stone – in this case 30mm thick granite – this made a massive improvement compared to baking on sheets of tin foil shoved on to an oven shelf.

2. Following the dough recipe in the ’Tartine Bread’ book. This uses a sour dough starter and for me is in a different (better) league. No use to you today as it takes 24hrs minimum, and that’s if you have a starter ready-to-go. Worth it though I think – better results than I thought would ever be achievable in a domestic oven…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘your best pizza dough recipe’ is closed to new replies.