• This topic has 38 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by goon.
Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Your best childhood presents?
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

That you can remember!

I’ll go first:
    Radio – No. 1 by a mile, I can still remember unboxing it and the ‘new thing’ smell. I used that radio for about 10 years and it was brilliant. It died a hero’s death by falling overboard at a sailing event in Ireland.

Chemistry set – great for burning stuff and making odd smells

Bike – we lived miles from anywhere and the bike got me to my mates farm to play – no idea what happened to it 😐

Stoner
    Free Member

Amstrad 464.

perchypanther
    Free Member

stevied
    Free Member

Had an AT-AT when Empire came out. I actually went to bed with it on Christmas Day 😳

mark90
    Free Member

A 1980’s Hi-Fi system and a pair of Nike trainers one year. A Texas Instruments Ti-99/4 another year, with pac man and space invaders.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Amstrad 6128, swish with a disk drive
    The farmyard my dad made really well from wood
    my first proper bike (10 sp roadie)

legend
    Free Member

Amiga 500. Can vividly remember getting it going and getting stuck into Back To The Future 2 before my folks (or brother) woke up

Drac

Amstrad CPC 463 with colour screen.

Off the top of my head.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

BMX bike, Amiga, C64, Speccy and Lego.

Before my Mum went mentally insane from cancer she was awesome!

avdave2

A Relum air rifle Christmas 1974 when I was 9.

A little rusty now but I still have it

mattbee

I used to love Meccano & for several years I’d get some for Christmas & birthdays which was cool, but as it was quite expensive I never got much.
    One year my nan had been into her attic & retrieved all my dad’s from when he was a kid. I was given it for Christmas. There was absolutely loads of the stuff, more than doubled the amount I had. I was so happy it was unreal.

stewartc
    Free Member

Had an AT-AT when Empire came out.

Likewise, I seem to recall the toys in the early 80’s were massive (or I was a lot shorter, one of the two).

wrightyson
    Free Member

Bmx, Mr frosty, and a pioneer stacker system that broke my mum and dad to buy when I was 16.

VanHalen

tamiya RC car kit.

and lego. i love lego.

and a mahooosive box of secondhand matchbox scalextrix copy stuff that my dad fixed up in the week proceeding xmas

cheers_drive

Big Trak

ThePinkster

My Sun GT10XL roadie.

God I loved that bike. Rode it everywhere for years until some scumbag stole it.

rocketman
    Free Member

BoardinBob

Never beaten

yamyamblade
    Free Member

Frisco Disco and Madness one step beyond as my first record
    Race n Chase
    Commodore 64
    Raleigh Burner

Not all in the same year !!

crankboy
    Free Member

penknife from elder brother when too young!
    bottle of laphroig from elder brother when too young!

mudmuncher

Commodore64
    Mamod steam engine

fasthaggis

My Dad got my brother and I an old ex post office BSA Bantam (D14/4).We stripped it down and spent the whole summer racing round the woods on it.

jb72
    Free Member

Technical Lego Car – steering, gearbox, suspension, engine pistons …

johndoh
    Free Member

Gotta be my Bomber

ebygomm
    Free Member

Lego trainset with working level crossings and points

olly2097
    Free Member

Sega megadrive.
    Sega Saturn
    Minidisc HiFi

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Aside from my 1st bike and 1st motorbike, I got one of these when they chopped my foreskin off…

senorj

Raleigh Burner.
    Scalextric.
    Crossfire.

stevomcd
    Free Member

timmys

Guns and motorbikes 🙂

Specifically;
    – Suzuki RM50 motocross bike (Christmas aged 8 )
    – BSA Meteor air rifle (Christmas aged 9)
    – Honda CR80 motocross bike (Birthday aged 13)
    – Beretta 686 shotgun (Birthday aged 15, still using it 23 years later)

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

grenosteve
    Free Member

A Losi XX-CR RC car kit. Remember building the whole thing from scratch and being quite nervous about putting oil in the shocks!

The fluro pink stickers still stick out in my mind to this day.

(not my photos, just googled it).

kcal

hah! I remember Crossfire (although it didn’t take us long to remove the firing guns from the mounts and just use it to shoot BBs at each other…)

jimw
    Free Member

Lego

I’m old enough to mean the stuff before Technic Lego.
    Kept me and my brother amused for hours from the age of about five.

After that, the wood carving tools I had from about nine- I still use them off and on. I particulalry cherish the ones my Dad made for me

Northwind

48K spectrum one year, millenium falcon another, a kickass wooden castle when I was really wee, assorted lego and linkets… But clear winner,

stevied – Member

Had an AT-AT when Empire came out.

I probably got it later on but yep. I took it everywhere like a pet dog. Still got it somewhere…

Runner up- we got our first PC from Gateway, in probably 95 or 96, ordered at the last minute before christmas. There were mad storms that winter and they cancelled all deliveries (as they had to come from Dublin and the ferries were knackered), so christmas was cancelled… Then on christmas eve some mad irish bastard turned up at the door, in Edinburgh, he was one of their managers and he’d driven from Dublin with 2 people’s PCs in the back of his tiny wee car (a fiesta I think). They had massive boxes with friesian cow patterns on (CRT monitors too so the car was absolutely full of boxes), I remember looking out the window for some reason and seeing this car and just going AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. He dropped it off and drove back to Dublin like it was just normal 😆 Santa is real.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

rocketman
    Johnny Seven One Man Army – yaaay. Hitting my brother with the red rocket was enough to make him cry.

Also

but best of all

butcher

callous
    Free Member

Much to my parents delight, my grandparents bought me a battery powered, tripod mounted browning machine gun. It lit up when fired and had a recoil action. It lasted for years and was much cherished.

goon
    Free Member

I probably got it later on but yep. I took it everywhere like a pet dog. Still got it somewhere…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CVYOCMpJRY[/video]

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Your best childhood presents?’ is closed to new replies.