Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Your Best Bike Shops and why?
  • bereavementmonkey
    Free Member

OK, so I need a little help here…

If you are not watching re runs of 'grand designs' because the trails are SOOO wet today then please give me 2 mins of your time.

I am doing a little research into what makes a good shop good….So if possible please respond with:

What is your favourite shop?
    Why is it your favourite shop?
    Is it located well?
    Can you park?
    Does it sell you coffee? or give it to you?
    What kind of brands does it sell/stock?
    What do you consider the right amount of choice? More than 2 less than 5????

Any other comments most welcome!

Thanks very much for effort and time.

Dave

BigDummy
    Free Member

– Brixton Cycles
    – they are very nice, patient, sensible, good workshop and not idiots
    – no, it is in Brixton
    – there are cycle racks outside and it is not far from the station
    – no and IME, no
    – Surly, Trek, Cotic and various others. All good stuff
    – More than 1, no more than 3 and a recommendation if I ask for one.

bereavementmonkey
    Free Member

Cheers for that.

Garry_Lager

What is your favourite shop? Edinburgh Bicycle Works

Why is it your favourite shop? Good mechanics who know the score and charge a v fair price on the work they do. Easy going staff who'll make an effort to fit you in if they're busy, which they usually are. None of this come back 2 weeks on Friday bollox.

Is it located well? Yes, fairly central in Ed

Can you park? Sort of

Does it sell you coffee? or give it to you? No. They literally don't have space to swing a cat so I reckon installing a coffee machine is pretty low down on their to-do list.

What kind of brands does it sell/stock? Not sure, go there purely for the workshop and might never have bought anything off the shelf. They don't stock any bikes in any case, but think they will order stuff in for custom builds etc.

What do you consider the right amount of choice? Do you mean choice of brands? I don't really buy anything from the LBS outside of the once in a blue moon new bike purchase. When I do that I've made up my mind what I want before I go in so choice is not that relevant.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

What is your favourite shop? Stonehenge Cycles, Salisbury
    Why is it your favourite shop? Great service, great stock, great mechanics, great wheelbuilding, great cake, great banter.
    Is it located well? Yes. Near a train station, near the town centre, near a big car park.
    Can you park? See above.
    Does it sell you coffee? or give it to you? Yes. And cake. And biscuits if I'm lucky. Plus if I beg, I get to borrow their workshop for a rebuild.
    What kind of brands does it sell/stock? Giant, Marin, Specialized, Ridgeback/Genesis, Pashley, Raleigh, Merlin, Orbea, Kona, Felt, Litespeed, Cervelo and more.
    What do you consider the right amount of choice? More than 2 less than 5???? See above.

lunge

Can i have 2 please?
    What is your favourite shop? Race Co and Two Wheels, both Stourbridge
    Why is it your favourite shop? RC is run by a nice guy who is hugely helpful and easily bribed with beer. TW is a well run shop that always has that bit of kit or random bolt that you need
    Is it located well? RC is in the town centre, TW about 1 mile outside on a main ish road, so not bad
    Can you park? RC occasionally on the road and if not in the close multi-story, TW yes
    Does it sell you coffee? or give it to you? No, i want bikes not beverages
    What kind of brands does it sell/stock? RC does mostly high end stuff from a range of brands, TW does the same but with more stock and some lower end stuff
    What do you consider the right amount of choice? More than 2 less than 5???? Not overly fussed how many as long as they have what i want and/or can give good advice.

Timmo
    Free Member

What is your favourite shop? – The Bike Barn, portreath, Cornwall.

Why is it your favourite shop? – The guys have the Nothing is any bother attitude, you want it they'll order it, friendly, helpful, curteous, humourous, knowledgeable,

Is it located well? yup, on the coast to coast cycleway down here (also deals in hire bikes for the trail) 5 mins from the local Dirt jump and bmx track,

Can you park? Yup! space for upto 200 if you dont mind parking in the field! (also have B&B and camping available)

Does it sell you coffee? or give it to you? yup! also has Farm shop stocking a specially brewed ale for them and local cider, sells pasties, and lots more! with tables and pasty and a pint for under a fiver.

What kind of brands does it sell/stock? Cube and Lapierre, endura, altura, blackburn, hope,

What do you consider the right amount of choice? More than 2 less than 5???? somehting in the middle, 3-4 of the most popular clothing wise, and anything thats resonable and Good quality!

think thats all asked for?

Surfr
    Free Member

What is your favourite shop? Summit Cycles
    Why is it your favourite shop? local, quality service with a smile and knowledge
    Is it located well? Main Drag just bellow high st.
    Can you park? Usually on the road within 2 mins walk
    Does it sell you coffee? or give it to you? I've not been offered but not been in for long periods of time so I'm not saying they don't.
    What kind of brands does it sell/stock? Specialized, Orange, Santa Cruz, Cove, Chris King, Hope, Endura, Giro, Shimano, SRAM, Bonty etc etc
    What do you consider the right amount of choice? More than 2 less than 5???? Not really sure I can put a number on this. depends on price point and requirements.

rolfharris
    Free Member

This is excluding my own of course 😉

What is your favourite shop? 18 Bikes in Hope
    Why is it your favourite shop? They always take time to really consider what you want, and I've never had a hardsell from them. They want you to have the right product and sell what they genuinely believe in, not tat that has a high profit margin.
    Is it located well? Slap bang in the heart of my favourite trails.
    Can you park? Yes, but on the road and it can be hard on a weekend, but so it is.
    Does it sell you coffee? or give it to you? I think they've been known to.
    What kind of brands does it sell/stock? Expensive ones that I can't afford.
    What do you consider the right amount of choice? More than 2 less than 5???? Depends on the product- bikes, lots of choice. Bottom brackets- 1.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The bike chain in Edinburgh

My mate runs it 🙂 Its also a decent shop with helpful staff and decent stock levels

Is it located well?

Its no that far from me and at the end of a cycleway from my house

Can you park?

Who cares? I ride a bike to it

Who cares? Its a bike shop not a cafe. I want efficient bike type purchases not coffee

Loads of bikes of various sorts but importantly for me a decent range of spares ( not what as good as it could be but getting better)

In what?

I want efficient knowledgeable service with s decent stock of spares. I don't care about carpets or coffee

mingsta
    Free Member

Moose cycles in Colliers Wood.

I just like the people who work there and dig the fact that Barry and Greg, and Dan before he left a coupla years back have been there for donkey's years.

Always happy to talk shop and get things done at short notice. Great shop!

BillyBull
    Free Member

The Bike Place.

The situation gives them cheap rent as it's in a crap area of Newcastle. But handy for me.

I just walk in and go in the back and make coffee for everyone. Even buy milk and coffee sometimes to re-stock. Usually biscuits and cake going.

Good mechanics, hope tech shop, parking outside, good lads (but biased as one is what I would now consider a best mate and riding partner), can spend hours there, can leave my bike there for ages, can fettle my own bike there (although they usually have the rescue me as it always goes Pete Tonge), honest with other customers (unlike other shops I know in the area.

Stocks Santa Cruz, Kona, Trek and BMX's. Fox, hope tech shop and 661.Plus others.

Kramer
    Free Member

I'll second 18 in hope. If it's closed, the owner can often be found in the woodbine cafe. Very helpful at getting shagged bikes up and running again. Plus the treacle tart in the Woodbine is worth the journey all by itself. Don't know what he stocks.

Second one is the Hub at Glentress, don't know what they stock, they don't give away coffee, but every time I've knackered something they've fixed it for me with no notice. They also really seem to know and care about bikes.

What I want is a good mechanic, and little or no waiting time. In the meantime I want a shiny cabinet to look at whilst I wait.

trio25
    Free Member

Cooksons Cycles, Whitefield, Manchester

Treat you with respect, put up with me talking, nothing is too much trouble

Is it located well?

Yes, just off the motorway and on a main road from manchester to Bury

Can you park?

I just wheel my bike it, but they have a small car park for those arriving by car

Don't drink coffee, have given me water on a hot day before and have offered me tea.

trek, marin, laperrie

No idea

Sorted my bike out at the last minute so many times, they are literally a life-saver

racing_ralph
    Free Member

What is your favourite shop? 18 Bikes in Hope
    Why is it your favourite shop? They always take time to really consider what you want, and I've never had a hardsell from them. They want you to have the right product and sell what they genuinely believe in, not tat that has a high profit margin. AND MATT AND SI ARE GOOD LADS WITH AN ABILITY TO MAKE YOU LAUGH EVEN IF ITS COSTING MONEY 🙂
    Is it located well? Slap bang in the heart of my favourite trails. CHECK
    Can you park? Yes, but on the road and it can be hard on a weekend, but so it is. AND THE BIG **** OFF CAR PARK OPPOSITE
    Does it sell you coffee? or give it to you? I think they've been known to. WHERE'S MINE GRRR
    What kind of brands does it sell/stock? Expensive ones that I can't afford. HOPE/KING/MAXXIS/NICOLAI/LOTS OF LOVELYNESS
    What do you consider the right amount of choice? More than 2 less than 5???? Depends on the product- bikes, lots of choice. Bottom brackets- 1. AGREED

Kramer
    Free Member

I'm not so worried about brands stocked, what's more important to me is availability of suitable demo bikes.

yoshimi

Merlin
    Its close to my house, cheap(ish), well stocked, great wheels and sometimes friendly
    Is it located well?
    ERm, yes for me, not too far off the M6 & M61 but in middle of industrial estate so you need to know of it before you find it – wouldn't find it by chance
    Can you park?
    Yes
    Nope
    Merlin, Rocklobster, Commencal, Rockymountain, Hope, Altura, Shimano, Mavic, Easton + loads of other stuff
    Bike brand wise – I'd say three big brands such as Giant, Trek, Specialized etc and one to drool over like Nicolai, Foes or something

Harry_the_Spider

One more for Cooksons for the same reasons that Trio already stated. However, they have never offered me a brew.

GaryLake
    Free Member

What is your favourite shop? Bike UK, Bristol
    Why is it your favourite shop? Staff are pure gold! (Not literally)
    Is it located well? Yes, 1 min walk from office
    Can you park? n/a (but no)
    Does it sell you coffee? or give it to you? I've been made a brew before, Ian is slacking these days…
    What kind of brands does it sell/stock? Orange, Marin, Whyte, Genesis, Kona
    What do you consider the right amount of choice? More than 2 less than 5???? Depends on size of shop…

pedalhead
    Free Member

Red Planet Bikes, Swindon

Run by enthusiasts, friendly, knowledgeable, the shop is a haven of bling

Is it located well?
    Old Town, Swindon. Easy to get to (better than central Swindon)

Can you park?
    No dedicated parking, but tons of cheap parking within 60 seconds.

Free coffee for good customers 🙂

Intense / Santa Cruz / Orange / Scott / lots of yummy stuff

Enough big brands for good choice…but not so many that they're spread too thin & end up at the bottom of every order list. So, maybe 3 or 4 main brands is ideal, plus a few niche brands as well.

bereavementmonkey
    Free Member

Ok this is GREAT stuff thanks for all your help. Anyone else out there comments are V Welcome!

Cheers Everyone

BoardinBob

I'm lucky enough to live across the road from my LBS!

What is your favourite shop? Bikes Behind Bars in Glasgow http://www.bikes-behindbars.co.uk/
    Why is it your favourite shop? Because it's across the road! Overall though really friendly guys. They don't stock a great deal of components but they're great for workshop stuff
    Is it located well? It is for me, but generally it's in a good area
    Can you park? On the road outside but you have to buy a ticket. Alternatively you can park for free nearby
    Does it sell you coffee? or give it to you? No idea
    What kind of brands does it sell/stock? Orange, Trek, Genesis, Marin, NS Bikes etc
    What do you consider the right amount of choice? More than 2 less than 5???? I'd like to see more components and clothing, but they've got a decent range of bikes

MrAgreeable

Psyclewerx in Bristol

Amusingly jaded attitude, good wrenching skills, good selection of stock, the odd bargain.

Is it located well?

Dead near to where I work.

Can you park?

I don't drive.

No.

Intense, Cove, Nicolai. Any **** boutique brands that the owners want to get a cheap one of for themselves.

They don't have that much choice compared to bigger shops but they do a good job of getting certain "key" products in, e.g. Charge Spoons, 661 knee pads. So they might not be able to offer you 5 suitable saddles, or 5 different types of leg armour, but you can have a look at a product that's getting all the hype and decide if it's worth a punt.

JB405
    Free Member

– North West Mountain Bike Center
    – A mellow atmosphere. They really know their stuff, are sound to chat to and can set up a bike so that it works seamlessly (and it should with how experienced the mechanics are).
    – Located well, very good transport networks around it.
    – Yes, you can park.
    – If your in there purchasing stuff regularly they will offer a you brew.
    – Spesh, Orange, Marin, Iron Horse, PACE, Scott, Whyte, Lapierre, Santa Cruz, Brooklyn, GT, Identti and finally Ridgeback bikes. With regard to components / accessories there is too much to list here.
    – I think the greater the range a shop has the better, it gives you the chance to look at and compare a number of products.

– Also they have demo bikes as well which you can take away for a few days to play on. They have posted me stuff before without payment up front, I just pay when I'm next going past. In my view you can't beat a bit of old fashioned trust.

Handsomedog
    Free Member

Devereux Cycles, Ashton on Mersey

I am on first name terms with the owner (Ian). He does things there and then if you ask him nicely, he orders stuff in within a day or two, he calls when said things arrive, he stocks odd spare parts which you never knew you needed, he will look out for and give you old/obsolete stuff – he expects only that you come back and occasionally buy stuff, he recommends that you buy stuff on CRC/Wiggle if he knows it cheaper

Is it located well?
    If I opened my front window I could almost touch the shop

Can you park?
    yes, the village as ample parking at the local pub

he never has

his clientele is mostly into shopping bikes/bmx's however he is capable of ordering a vast array of stuff, this usually arrives within 1 or 2 days. He is a Hope stockist I believe

He holds very little stock within the shop however is capable of ordering anything that I have so far tried to get hold of. If he can't he would be able to offer an alternative

Something that doesn't really have a question but he is very well linked with other bike shops in the area. Several times I have gone in to get something and he has called up a friend at another shop to try and get the item for me quicker than it can be ordered.

bereavementmonkey
    Free Member

You lot have been great!!!!!!

Thanks for the input it really helped.

GJP
    Free Member

What is your favourite shop? SigmaSport in Hampton Wick / Kingston
    Why is it your favourite shop? Only a 2 minute walk away (plus they give me lots of mechanical help for free, they know their stuff, and train their staff really well)
    Is it located well? See above
    Can you park? Not really applicable – see above
    Does it sell you coffee? or give it to you? No – if I want a coffee I go to Starbucks
    What kind of brands does it sell/stock? Seven, Colnago, Cervelo, Pinarello, Spesh, Trek
    What do you consider the right amount of choice? More than 2 less than 5???? Can never be too much choice.

Handsomedog – I have lived on the ashton side of Sale for 7 yrs and never knew that shop existed! I'll swing by next time I need anything and check it out.

The magic of STW 😀

tomh
    Free Member

*Keswick Mountain Bikes
    *So friendly and know what there talking about routes and bikes, good range of products
    *In the middle of Keswick, in the middle of the Lakes
    *Next too two big car parks
    *Its a bike shop not a coffee shop
    *Cove, commencal, hope most big names
    *A good mix of stuff, the more the better

epicyclo

On-One? Always got interesting bits and just at the end of my mouse cord.

theboatman
    Free Member

Mercian cycles – Derby

Staffed by decent polite people who know their bikes, and do exactly what they say they will, when they will.

Is it located well?
    No, it's a pain.

Can you park?
    Parking is rubbish near it.

No! it's a bike shop FFS

Mercian, speccy, fulcrum, campy, sidi, etc etc

Good range of kit from low to top end, sometimes have to order you stuff in but always bother to do so, unlike other LBS's in the area.

Other comments
    they don't pretend they are your best mate, they don't want you to buy them biscuits/ or blow them to get good service – they just do bikes, very well and politely.

OrangeChammy
    Free Member

1) Alpinebikes (great western road)
    2) Wheelcraft, Lennoxtown

1) good location, helpful staff, club discount, sell most stuff I need, riding a demo bike cause mine is in for a wheel repair!
    2) amazing wheels, alladins cave, not like any other shop I have ever been in!

Is it located well?
    1) yes
    2) not for me – but ideal for passing on a nice road ride!

Can you park?
    1) yes for a small fee
    2) yes

1) no
    2) yes, if you make it

1) Mainstream stuff, mostly need to order, reasonable choice but needs more specialist items.
    2) Everything a bit of a jumble sale.

1) Choice OK, maybe a bit focused on 1 or 2 brands, staff are helpful and can order most stuff.
    2) Who knows, depends on how good you are at rummaging, and if you can reach the loft!

Other comments
    1) Get a good deal, seem to help you out and workshop is good. Good enought to encourage me away from web shopping for bigger purchases (and most smaller ones).
    2) Move wheelcraft south of the clyde and I would be happier. Never had wheels built this tough (4 years of abuse and still true).

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Your Best Bike Shops and why?’ is closed to new replies.