Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Young workers and smart phones
  • binners

I wouldn’t worry about it. Give it two years and they won’t be able to employ anyone under 60. Or bankrupt due to only employing luddites

ourmaninthenorth

Cant be that universal, I was in A&E the other day, sat next to the “no mobiles” sign, with two doctors walking around on their mobiles.

Isn’t that “mobile phones affect sensitive equipment” basically b-ll-cks?

I’d be happy to be discounted in this manner. I don’t like working for stupid people.

Quite. And, to add to that, I’m pleased I paid attention at school so that I don’t have to have the sort of job where this sort of thing is (1) checked on or (b) matters.

Oh, and the biggest smart phone user I know is… my mother. Who is 66 and retired. She’s managed to get RSI in her thumbs from too much texting and emailing.

hilldodger
    Free Member

randomjeremy – Member
    Jesus I’m glad I don’t work where you guys with the draconian policies work. Where I work we are all allowed smartphones, unlimited web usage etc, we can bring in our own ipads and laptops and hook them up to the company-provided wifi (on an ADSL line) to keep them off the corporate network. It works because we’re trusted not to take the piss.

Same here, I wouldn’t want to work in an organisation that didn’t trust it’s employees to be sensible with their phone/web usage 🙄

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

+1

The company has employed someone who’s not doing their job properly. If you took their phone away they’d just find something else to distract them. Its just the modern equivalent of talking round the water cooler or discussing last nights football match etc. Really don’t think these draconian bans are going to do anything other than annoy productive employees whilst the lazy ones continue distracting themselves with other means.

project
    Free Member

Just wish they could ban the things in shops, you get to the till and some woman usually decides to phone up somebody to look if theyve got enough bog rol or something else in the cupboard.

or theyre ther yapping in the middle of an isle, for all to hear whenn you cant get past.

philconsequence
    Free Member

And, to add to that, I’m pleased I paid attention at school so that I don’t have to have the sort of job where this sort of thing is (1) checked on or (b) matters.

OI! sum ov us nurses payed atenshun in skool 😛

codybrennan
    Free Member

I used to work for a woman who brought her 17 year old son in as “one of us” (we were a Microsoft house at the time), and the expectation was that we would train him up as something a bit useful.

Fair dos. But he was, frankly rubbish, shiftless, a poor communicator, and generally not much cop.

We eventually revolted when it transpired that, rather than get him up out of his bed when she set off for the office, she was berthing him in a local hotel very near the office. Think thats not too bad? Well, we were expected to draw up a rota to drive the 2 miles or so to the hotel every morning to pick him up and get him into work!

Cougar

Just wish they could ban the things in shops,

… specifically, their usage by the assistants behind the tills.

MrOvershoot

Grum your old IT dep must have had a piss poor system if they allowed you to install software on your machine!!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I would hate to work in an environment where people think its acceptable to spend time they are being paid for on their personal phones.

My bet would be the doctors yo saw were using hospital mobiles – used instead of pagers these days. I would be very suprised if it was a personal mobile. The ban is pretty comprehensive and adhered to

jonahtonto
    Free Member

+1 hes a young kid who needs a bit of guidance.
    i think that as a functioning member of society you have a responsibility to help him- tell him its not acceptable, explain why. someone did that for you at some point, and if you dont remember that happening it just means it was done well.
    or just become an old git complaining that the world has changed and your bitter about it cos ‘it wasnt like this in my day’

northshoreniall

Sorry to disappoint TJ but it isn’t that comprehensive, most wards in our trust (South Tees), and others I’ve seen, even patients allowed use as they tie up the ward lines less being able to use own phone to update people. Also it is unfortunately common for our ITU ward round to be interrupted either by consultant answering their’s ( usually about something life saving like a childcare issue) or other consultants wandering through on theirs.

Our hospital hasn’t gone to DECT phones unfortunately still use old skool bleeps.

Also in Northern Ireland mobiles pretty widespread in clinical environments as seen when visiting brother in law recently.
    I believe old concerns of unshielded pumps/ drivers being affect not major problem anymore, could be wrong mind.

falkirk-mark

I wonder how many people on here that think no phones in work is abhorrent would be happy waiting for the checkout operator in tesco to finish texting her mate before attending to them.
    Surely if a firm is paying for your time then they should have a say in what you can and cannot do (within reason)

grum
    Free Member

Grum your old IT dep must have had a piss poor system if they allowed you to install software on your machine!!

They may well have been (uni admin) but you didn’t have to install Ghostzilla, it would run off a pen drive 😉

glenh
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    I would hate to work in an environment where people think its acceptable to spend time they are being paid for on their personal phones.

Could you imagine that? An environment where people have lives, are human beings and don’t perform like robots from 9:00 to 17:00!
    Perish the thought.

donsimon
    Free Member

I was given a warning about 15 odd years ago for connecting my company phone line up to the internet. I wonder if they’ve grasped the idea that the internet and email is quite useful for business. To those that have blanket bans and lack of foresight, I both point and laugh at you.

rook
    Free Member

I’m a new user here but i would like to just comment on this particular post.
    I personally own a cheap 10 quid phone which i use for texting people if im not at home.
    I dont see the need to be connected to everything 24 hours a day, to me work is work and once its over you can call text or whatever as much as you want, and its not like you dont get breaks.

bonj
    Free Member

where I work nobody spent hardly any time fiddling with smartphones until the company gave everybody free smartphones.

Cougar

‘s habit, isn’t it.

We managed for years without phones, now I leave home without mine and it feels like my right arm’s missing.

rook
    Free Member

i bet the company are kicking themselves bonj, or do they have ”apps” for that 😆

scaredypants

TandemJeremy – Member
    … My bet would be the doctors yo saw were using hospital mobiles – used instead of pagers these days. I would be very suprised if it was a personal mobile. The ban is pretty comprehensive and adhered to

Many, even most of the docs where I work use mobiles (almost invariably iphones it seems). Quite handy for medical calculation apps etc (though possibility exists to confuse US and UK units and get things very wrong). Our hosp is developing its own apps specifically for them to use.

Some also answer their bleeps from their mobiles to save queueing for a free phone on the wards

miketually
    Free Member

Grum your old IT dep must have had a sensible admin piss poor system if they trusted allowed you to install software on your machine!!

FTFY

I work in an environment where I’m not paid for my time, but to do a job and where I’m trusted to be professional.

druidh
    Free Member

I don’t see what all the fuss is about. Surely it’s no worse than sneaking off for a fag?

MoreCashThanDash

Interesting thread this – I got busted at work for excessive internet use* on the PC earlier this year – written warning, would have been worse except that all the stats showed I was the most productive in the country 😆 The senior manager who handled the hearing admitted that they had no idea how they could monitor smartphone usage and they thought that this was a huge issue in the next year or two.

*Conversation as follows:

Manager: You spend 1 hour 38 mins on average per day looking at the …er…Singletrackworld website….

Me(mentally): Phew! Is that all?

scaredypants

hmmmm, waiting for the day here

(in one of my jobe I use firefox with multiple tabs and the stw ones refresh every 10 or 15 min so that it’s “current” when I do open one. To them I guess it looks like I’m constantly reading it)

coffeeking
    Free Member

My bet would be the doctors yo saw were using hospital mobiles – used instead of pagers these days. I would be very suprised if it was a personal mobile. The ban is pretty comprehensive and adhered to

Could have been a work mobile I guess, one did look like an iphone though.

I work in an environment where I’m not expected to keep regular hours, though I’m expected to put in certain amount of hours. Generally I put in twice as many hours as I’m expected to (by choice) and I’m available 24/7 via email or phone for anyone at work who needs to contact me. If I want to take 2 mins to do something personal during the day it’s not frowned upon – at the end of the day if the job is done and the deadline met no-one complains.

GrahamS

I would be very suprised if it was a personal mobile. The ban is pretty comprehensive and adhered to

MrsDrGrahamS sat next to me shaking her head. She takes her phone (iphone) to work, as do most docs at her gaff.

But yeah, obviously she doesn’t have the time to sit and facebook/text on it all day long and often just leaves it in the office.

Nothing in her contract about it either.

crikey
    Free Member

Most if not all of our ITU docs use mobiles at work, and I’d far rather ring them than try any number of extensions to get them in a critical situation.
    Mobiles don’t affect medical machines, at all.

grantway
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    MObile phones – most workplaces I have worked in it its instant dismissal for using them in works time – I know of people dismissed for it as well

Ive dismissed Two youths over Mobiles phones
    Thought they could sit down on sites after brining furniture in for installation
    and txt and made calls, shared pics and jokes
    I couldn’t believe the looks on there faces when I returned from a cash machine
    and gave them there pay.

Saccades
    Free Member

Isn’t that “mobile phones affect sensitive equipment” basically b-ll-cks?

we have some equipment that registers incoming texts during analysis which buggers it up. we have a blanket ban on phones on site, but we have a massive tank farm of solvents, work with lots of flammable powders so nothing that isn’t Ex rated goes anywhere near.

about all that is left are nmr’s and the bogs….

i wouldn’t want a phone near an nmr.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

“TJ doesn’t have a mobile phone and therefore they are crap and nobody else should either” shocker……

Phhhhhhhhhhh 🙄

GrahamS

FACT.

Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Young workers and smart phones’ is closed to new replies.