Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Young driver insurance – Any tips or recommendations ?
  • lowey

Youngest just passed her test and is looking for a run around. Can any of you fine people recommend a company to insure her ?

Many thanks.

Gary_M
    Free Member

My son passed his test last year, Direct Line were cheapest by a long way, new car, no black box £735. Sweat spot for annual mileage was 6000.

nigew
    Free Member

Keep the mileage low, avoid the usual Corsa, Fiestas etc that all the young lads drive.
    My nephew passed recently, he’s 19 and a Nissan micra was reasonable to insure without a black box, I can’t help with who he went with, sorry

kelron
    Free Member

Add anyone in the family with a good insurance history on as a named driver.

There’s no requirement that they actually drive the car but it might be useful and should bring the cost down a lot.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Lowey,
    When our youngest passed last year, we found that getting the right car and year to bring the insurance down was critical.
    eg, a C1 on ’11 plate cost significantly more to insure than a C1 on ’62 plate, which is what we eventually bought. Same spec, same engine but a couple of hundred quid more for the older one!
    The best insurance deal for us was to move all three cars in the household onto a multicar policy with Admiral.
    As above, 6000 miles was cheapest point.
    If she’s at uni’ then you might find that her uni’ address brings the cost down too if that’d be the address at which it normally resides overnight.
    If done over the phone, then I found them quite helpful in terms of adding extra discounts if you just asked what might apply.

rocketman
    Free Member

Can any of you fine people recommend a company to insure her ?

Depends what your priorities are. Low price and good customer service tend to be mutually exclusive ime. Some insurers will rip you off less and some have amazing introductory deals if you buy *right* now. My only advice if you want to strike a good deal is be prepared for a lot of phone calls – the online quotes are too inflexible.

In terms of cars the only things I’ve learned are to get something new-ish and mainstream that has a record of being inexpensive to buy and cheap to repair, balanced against other factors e.g. high NCAP rating and being undesirable to thieves. This will give you a range of cars from Fiestas/Corsas/Puntos to Mondeos and SUVs

Gary_M
    Free Member

This will give you a range of cars from Fiestas/Corsas/Puntos to Mondeos and SUVs

I’d have thought fiesta or corsa would up the insurance cost.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Young driver insurance – Any tips or recommendations ?’ is closed to new replies.