Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Young children in this heat
  • Bunnyhop

Our neighbour’s 19 month old son got whisked off to hospital last evening. We had the full response ambulance, little chap was treated for sunstroke and luckily was brought home a few hours later.
    Just be careful out there folks, kiddies get easily dehydrated and quickly burn if not covered up with hat and suncream.

Let’s face it after the last few months some of us are not used to this heat.

imnotverygood

…or move to Scotland

binners

*phones social services*

konabunny
    Free Member

Scotland’s not that bad, binners.

onehundredthidiot

Just bloody raining here. Has done for the past few weeks.

binners

😆 @ konabunny

hora
    Free Member

Sun?

Bunnyhop

Hee hee, he is one of the most treasured and loved tots I’ve evr come across and was very brave when it all kicked off.

Hey you lot in Scotland, you can’t complain as the weather ooop there has been great for weeks on end 🙂

MrSmith
    Free Member

Just be careful out there folks, kiddies get easily dehydrated and quickly burn if not covered up with hat and suncream.

if you can’t work this out for yourself you shouldn’t be allowed to breed.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Hey you lot in Scotland, you can’t complain as the weather ooop there has been great for weeks on end

Eh? I got 2 mild days last week, best for nearly 4 months.

scaled
    Free Member

My arms are still a bit pink from Sundays ride!

my daughter however is still that lovely shade of overprotected pale 😀

hora
    Free Member

+5,000

Its not rocket science. Sometimes you might make a schoolboy error of running out of water on a long summers ride etc but its unforgivable for a small child.

As a child I remember getting BAD sunburn. My lad wont get the same shite parenting.

portlyone

my daughter however is still that lovely shade of overprotected pale

Maybe you forgot to feed her? 😉

binners

My lad wont get the same shite parenting.

I suspect, Mr Textbook Perfect Parent, that making lofty, sanctimonious statements like that is absolutely 120% guaranteed to come back and bite you on the arse. But don’t let me stop the booming internal voice of your own huffy moral absolutism

Carry on….

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

scaled
    Free Member

Maybe you forgot to feed her?

She’s fed, watered and packed off to the child minder with an ample supply of suncream thanks very much 😀

restless
    Free Member

As a child I remember getting BAD sunburn. My lad wont get the same shite parenting.

Me too, blistering and sunstroke on a yearly basis, to the point I have had to have moles removed in the last few years caused by severe sunburn .

My oldest son is now 15yrs old and has never been sunburnt because I make sure he is protected from it.
    It’s not hard to put sun cream on is it.

loum
    Free Member

Has anyone used the “P20” sun cream?
    Does it work as claimed, 10 hour waterproof protection?

molgrips
    Free Member

Its not rocket science.

It’s very easy to overlook water and hydration for people other than yourself. Especially when they can’t or don’t tell you when they feel bad.

I’ve had sunstroke myself before, mildly – didn’t realise it was happening until it was too late.

It’s not hard to put sun cream on is it.

It can be hard to reapply it every 90 mins or after every exposure to water, sand or a towel, mind. Which is what you’re meant to do.

My point is, give parents a break you sanctimonious b*stards. And no, my kids have never been sunstruck or burned, but they have fallen off stuff, wandered into trouble or eaten things etc when I wasn’t watching.

joao3v16
    Free Member

if you can’t work this out for yourself you shouldn’t be allowed to breed

Excellent!

When is your ‘How to be a Perfect Human Being Like I Am’ book being published?

🙂

Matt24k
    Free Member

It’s interesting to note that there is an increase in vitamin D deficiency in British children. This is thought to be due, in part, to lack of exposure to the sun. It is important to cover up but also important to get some sunshine.
    Sensible use of sun cream is highly recommended but make sure you don’t give the ankle biters Rickets by keeping them locked away like a vampire.

coffeeking
    Free Member

+another 5,000.

Jesus, common sense people.

It’s interesting to note that there is an increase in vitamin D deficiency in British children. This is thought to be due, in part, to lack of exposure to the sun. It is important to cover up but also important to get some sunshine.
    Sensible use of sun cream is highly recommended but make sure you don’t give the ankle biters Rickets by keeping them locked away like a vampire.

Indeed, and I believe the liberal use of sun *block* is part of the issue. You need a surprising amount of daylight exposure each day to be healthy.

scaled
    Free Member

P20 is amazing, it’s not cheap but does petty much what it says on the tin.

If we’re in and out of the pool all day then we generally reapply about lunchtime.

We didnt use it on the toddler as it was only factor 20 we had.

Bit of sun did clear her eczema up though, just to cheer this thread up here’s a child in the sunshine…

M6TTF
    Free Member

cases of rickets are on the up as kids are constantly plastered in sun block apparently

hora
    Free Member

The only time it is ‘forgiveable’ is in some cases of household accidents. Some are idiocracy however some are inevitable. Same with heat stroke to a degree.

I’ve had heatstroke but thats because I get lashed then ride the next morning in the heat. Stupidity.

loum
    Free Member

thanks scaled

Albanach
    Free Member

loum – Member
    POSTED 46 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

According the wife (pharmacist) any suntan lotion should be reapplied no matter what is written on the tube. Regarding P20 be careful as it doesn’t provide complete protection from either UVA or UVB (can’t remember which).

nbt

hora – Member
    +5,000

Its not rocket science. Sometimes you might make a schoolboy error of running out of water on a long summers ride etc but its unforgivable for a small child.

😯

hora – Member

😯

hora – shouldn’t be allowed to breed.

+5,000

hora
    Free Member

It is too late, the Quickening has begun

thekingisdead
    Free Member

my daughter however is still that lovely shade of overprotected pale

Time you let her out the cellar? 😉

woody74

Another vote for P20, works brilliantly. The only problem is that it stains your clothes yellow

nbt

It is too late, the Quickening has begun

There can be only one.

binners

How far have you got with ‘Hora’s handbook to Life’?

Are the stonemasons still chiseling it into marble tablets?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Our gils got (mildly) sunburnt at the very well respected (one of the best in the area and scores very highly with Ofsted) nursery they attend. The carers admitted they were caught out – shit happens.

Sandwich

About 10 minutes per pound for well done? 😈

therealhoops
    Free Member

Daddy, Daddy, guess what I just found?

hhmmm, a fountain to play in?

YEH, HOW DID YOU KNOW????

onehundredthidiot

Realised my moan about our rubbish weather was a bit flippant hope kiddie is ok.

I took a DofE group out a couple of years ago, next week I got a letter asking that on the next exped I make sure that one feckless child applied suncream. I replied saying if the child was unable to look after himself it might be best that he not attend the qualifying exped.

Bunnyhop

Oh dear!
    As others have said you cannot watch a child 24/7. They don’t always drink enough, as you can’t force fluids down. Some children in this country are very fair skinned and for a while now we haven’t had any summer type weather, then all of a sudden boom! Really strong sun and most kiddies want to play out.

We use factor 50 on our nephew, he goes out looking like I’ve painted emulsion on.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Kids who are unable to watch their own fluid intake naturally should be watched regularly. It doesn’t take continuous surveillance, just keeping an eye out. That’s why it’s a bit shocking that a kid could get to the stage it needed to visit hospital before the parents noticed – that’s disgraceful.

Sunburn is a slightly harder one to judge as sometimes it creeps up without seeming a problem for a while (bright daylight, hard to see a light shade of pink). Personally I dislike emulsified children, they need some UV exposure, but if it were my nephew I’d obviously do whatever the parents felt was necessary!

konabunny
    Free Member

cases of rickets are on the up as kids are constantly plastered in sun block apparently

I await genuine evidence one way or the other (as I’m not bothered enough to look myself) but in my highly reliable scientific opinion – bollocks.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Young children in this heat’ is closed to new replies.