Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You need to fill out a risk assessment for that…..
  • DT78
    Free Member

so my wrist has started to play up a bit (broken last year) and I thought I'd try one of those gel wrist rest support things to see if it makes any improvement….asked the stationary guy if I could have one –

I need to fill out a risk assessment form, requesting a risk assessor comes and checks I'm sitting at my desk properly, they make a recommendation and then this needs to go to my line manager for approval.

This is ridiculous. I've told the guy I'm going to order a £8 one from Amazon, it will be cheaper and on my desk within 2 days…

Anyone elses work place gone over the board with this stuff?

clubber
    Free Member

On the other hand, they're trying to ensure that you're fixing the root cause rather than the symptoms alone…

Admittedly it sounds like it's unecessary in your case since presumably the broken wrist is the root cause (you're certain, right?) but in most cases I've seen here, it's poor position with wrists bent/hunched over the keyboard/etc…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

VDU regulations. they are required to be certain your set up is correct and any variation such as that needs to be assessed.

vinnyeh

It's not a risk assessment though really, is it, it's health and safety looking at your posture etc. Think yourself lucky that the company provides the service, and a trained assessor for you.

DT78
    Free Member

From my experience of being assessed before, it was some chap who'd gone on a course for a day or two. If it was a properly qualified medical expert I'd be happy to have the help.

Just arse covering if you ask me so they can't be sued…. this form was filled out therefore we've discharged any obligation…

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i take it you feel that you are better qualified having not completed a 2 day course?

RSI costs UK business a fortune each year

DT78
    Free Member

I wonder how much is spent on filling out risk assessments and training courses….I imagine far more.

I'm just grumpy that I can't even get an £8 wrist rest without filling forms & jumping through hoops.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

put a positive spin on it, it's your employer's responsibility to provide you with a work environment that as well as being safe is not detrimental to your health

your employer is fulfilling their responsibility 🙂

it's not rocket science anyway, they should just measure screen/desk/seat height and fit it to you, the wife has had the legs cut down on her desk before now to make it fit

if your job was driving a car and they gave you a vehicle with the seat permanently adjusted for a 4' woman with tiny arms you'd soon complain 😆

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘You need to fill out a risk assessment for that…..’ is closed to new replies.