Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • You know you're a proper mountain biker when……………..
  • MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Your lawn has developed a noticeable hump where you wash your bike down after rides.

Your wife frequently pours cold water into her coffee on Friday mornings because you’ve unplugged the kettle to charge your lights.

Any more?

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Your shins are serrated !

ps only 1 plug socket at your house ?

MoreCashThanDash

You see the same threads come round on Singletrack on a six monthly basis 😉

Onzadog
    Free Member

Patch of dried mud in the middle of the patio.

the-muffin-man

You no longer worry about stripping off in the middle of a car park.

jekkyl

your daily obsession is the weather and the temperature outside.

Onzadog
    Free Member

While colleagues are bothered about a bit of drizzle, you don’t consider anything less than a monsoon as proper rain.

fasthaggis

You don’t care about wheel sizes 😈

seosamh77
    Free Member

cheekyboy – Member
    Your shins are serrated !

you’re pushing up too many hills! 😆

Onzadog
    Free Member

You can work/think in metric and imperial. (without being an engineer).

ton

you only see bad weather as a different choice of jacket.

Onzadog
    Free Member

You can tell 15 different types of animal poo apart.

jekkyl

your wife asks you to move ‘all these maps’ so she can sit down and eat breakfast.

Drac

You post in the chat forum about bikes anyway as they’re so awesome.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Your washing machine has its own page at change.org

‘Skids’ means at least two things.

Choosing between (a) brake pads for yr ‘significant other’ or (b) flowers for your spouse causes only momentary consternation

nickc

Your partner knows where the filter is on the washing machine, and routinely empties it of all the accumulated mud, leaves and small twigs without mentioning it.

dunmail
    Free Member

Your bike is worth more than the car you use to take it to the trails.

egb81
    Free Member

When purchasing a house, one of the most important criteria is where the bikes are going to live.

medoramas
    Free Member

Your washing machine has its own page at change.org

Your partner knows where the filter is on the washing machine, and routinely empties it of all the accumulated mud, leaves and small twigs without mentioning it.

These two are so true! 😆

I’d add: when choosing family holidays you look on the local OS map first to see how many “pink dashed lines” is around the location – then you think about how to make the rest of the family to really want to go there!

funkrodent

You can use your own, hard earned, experience of multiple OTBs to sagely advise your newbie mate on how to avoid going OTB.

You understand stupid acronyms like OTB 😉

funkrodent

In addition – you stay up until 4am – despite a crucial meeting first thing the next morning – agonizing over whether to push the button (and reading multiple reviews, forum threads etc) on that new set of sintered pads and/or wheels/cranks/brake levers etc etc etc which will supply a performance enhancement and/or weight saving that you’re too rubbish to ever really appreciate, let alone actually benefit from :mrgreen:

Onzadog
    Free Member

egb81 – Member
    When purchasing a house, one of the most important criteria is where the bikes are going to live.

Too true. We’re house hunting currently. Wife looks at the pictures, I go straight to the floor plan to check out internal access to the garage.

wilko1999
    Free Member

The ‘choosing a family holiday’ one rings particularly true with me 😳

The real skill comes in making my wife believe it was her choice, and then me ‘searching around’ for anywhere I might be able to ride my bike nearby, should we have room to take it 😀

Onzadog
    Free Member

Acronyms at work make mountain bike “sense” before the work meaning kicks in.

egb81
    Free Member

Too true. We’re house hunting currently. Wife looks at the pictures, I go straight to the floor plan to check out internal access to the garage.

Too many garage thefts here, mine all live indoors*

*my girlfriend is extremely tolerant of my hobbies.
    **a terraced house was the extents of our budget so there wasn’t a huge amount of choice in the matter

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Weather is something to be out in.

Car journeys in unfamiliar territory results in scanning local hills for trail.

House purchasing decisions are genuinely affected by storage and loading/unloading requirements.

Same for cars.

Ones benchmark of injury, and indeed, what constitutes an injury, go up.

When out walking, you trial sections of trial with imaginary bars and take bike approach angles.

You have a greatly increased bar of what constutes ‘muddy’.

Fun without the pain of effort seems hollow.

Removing ticks and dealing with splinters becomes routine.

You have a comprehensive range of large wound dressings and lots of tape.

rumple
    Free Member

which tyre left the tracks on a muddy trail 😳

hot_fiat

You find sram quick links while cleaning the washing machine’s pump filter.

molgrips
    Free Member

The day after heavy rain is and sunny, and other people comment on what a nice day it is but you don’t agree because the trails are still filthy.

Tracey

The pound to Swiss franc exchange rate isn’t going to change or spoil your holiday plans

Wally

Your cycling clothes outnumber significantly day to day wear.

rOcKeTdOg

If forced by OH to walk in the countryside you use the opportunity to scope out new trails, frequently carrying air handlebars (which you wonder might be better wider)

Stevet1
    Free Member

I have been given that ‘look’ in the past for pointing out the tyre model that generic kids tyres are copied from when waiting to pick up from school. Most are either Tioga Comp III’s, or Panaracer Smoke.
    I have also not been allowed to bring a set of allen keys with me to put right a bike with forks on the wrong way round.

woodster

Your “bike wardrobe” cost more than your regular one and is considerably more hideous.

Locking up your bike is a perfectly planned operation whereas locking the car is something you only bother with when the bike’s in there.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

You have PA insurance…or is that only real racerz?

DT78
    Free Member

You have a rather extensive spreadsheet with columns for weight / colour / price / online merchant and spend weeks populating before your next purchase.

You may also have a ‘tyre selector’ spreadsheet which lists all the tyres in your collection, their weight, wheelsize, approx. wear and location (shed / under bed / loft / with mate etc…)

You spend more on mtb tyres than car tyres.

Servicing your bike costs more than your car

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

You spend more on mtb tyres than car tyres.

Very true, let’s not discuss the cost of Dugast tubs….

Suggsey
    Free Member

Rocketdog, I’ve been so guilty of that recently, I even used the excuse of spotting red deer over the chase to walk a rather twisty up and downy new bit of trail I spotted…..luckily we did spot two roe deer and they legged it upon seeing us, the wife was made up and I was to when I went back a few days later and rode the same trail at night.

portlyone

When buying a new house you look for outdoor hose connections.

hilldodger
    Free Member

….you order your first set of Chinese carbon road rims

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘You know you're a proper mountain biker when……………..’ is closed to new replies.