Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You know they say if you don't like a thread then don't open it?
  • bongohoohaa
    Free Member

It’s getting quite hard to do that at the mo.

Have we all been allocated our own personal Brexit threads?

DezB
    Free Member

Who says that? There’s a few arseholes whose only contribution is usually ‘and yet here you are’, but how else are you going to show you disapproval of religion/brexit/topgear/football/rugby/heavtmetal/dancemusic/29ers/woodburners/stupidlyexpensiveshavers/wellies/etc without opening the thread and announcing to the assembled throng??

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I usually read the title 1st & if it’s of any potential interest, then give it a go.
    What has surprised me recently (not) is how many **** EU experts/politicians/financial advisers are on here.
    How this country is not absolutely perfect is beyond me as we have a plethora of ‘talent’ on this piddly forum alone.

Drac

I guess DezB doesn’t like this thread.

wordnumb
    Free Member

What has surprised me recently (not) is how many **** EU experts/politicians/financial advisers are on here.

Might go some way to explaining how this silly situation arose, nobody actually doing their job, arguing about wheel sizes instead.

DezB
    Free Member

I hate this thread. And yet…

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

If you didn’t like this thread, then why open it Dez?

DezB
    Free Member

garage-dweller

How this country is not absolutely perfect is beyond me as we have a plethora of ‘talent’ on this piddly forum alone.

Yes but we’re not in charge. 😛

Actually I think this forum illustrates the actual problem really very well.

Let’s stay off Brexit and pick something even more contentious …..

Wearing a helmet

There’s research thrown about that suits various arguments in or out or somewhere in between. Personal war stories, personal benefits, emotional responses, the I always did it this way and I’m awesome so it’s right.

The research may be influenced by who paid the bill or the words of the question and experts in a field may not be as expert as they think (off helmets here but I’ve seen reports done for government that are legally blatantly incorrect and therefore had flawed conclusions).

The person quoting the research can do so selectively (e.g. pro helmet = mention the bit about being good in low speed impacts but leave out that they put people off riding so heart disease goes up 190%)

We talk about the Dutch study and ignore the Lithuanian one and in both we don’t factor in cultural and infrastructure differences.

But ultimately the jigsaw of factors that would give a balanced answer is rarely put together because we’re human and mostly not able to properly detach ourselves from the emotional stuff and compute the vast number of factors that give us an answer that’s reliable and because we have day jobs and families and bikes to ride and laundry to do which gets in the way. This is often evident in debates on here and in the real world.

No offence and definitely no opinion intended on the helmet debate by the way.

Before someone decides to pillory me for the slightly flippant description of the helmet debate it’s meant to be light hearted / in good humour.

Also for goodness sake please don’t start the helmet debate again here.

Junkyard
    Free Member

this forum will , with some notable exceptions , be better educated than the average but as per the UK way feel free to pour scorn on folk more informed than you and diss them for being brighter as well

Have you looked at the economic indicators ? – downgrading of credit rating, Pulling out of the Steel deals, Pound crashing, B of E 240 BILLION bailout ….I bet not as well you know best eh and all those experts are being proved wrong eh.

If you must criticise folk then prove that what they said was wrong – best of luck on that front best of luck.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Yes but we’re not in charge.

Actually I think this forum illustrates the actual problem really very well.

Let’s stay off Brexit and pick something even more contentious …..

Wearing a helmet

There’s research thrown about that suits various arguments in or out or somewhere in between. Personal war stories, personal benefits, emotional responses, the I always did it this way and I’m awesome so it’s right.

The research may be influenced by who paid the bill or the words of the question and experts in a field may not be as expert as they think (off helmets here but I’ve seen reports done for government that are legally blatantly incorrect and therefore had flawed conclusions).

The person quoting the research can do so selectively (e.g. pro helmet = mention the bit about being good in low speed impacts but leave out that they put people off riding so heart disease goes up 190%)

We talk about the Dutch study and ignore the Lithuanian one and in both we don’t factor in cultural and infrastructure differences.

But ultimately the jigsaw of factors that would give a balanced answer is rarely put together because we’re human and mostly not able to properly detach ourselves from the emotional stuff and compute the vast number of factors that give us an answer that’s reliable and because we have day jobs and families and bikes to ride and laundry to do which gets in the way. This is often evident in debates on here and in the real world.

No offence and definitely no opinion intended on the helmet debate by the way.

Before someone decides to pillory me for the slightly flippant description of the helmet debate it’s meant to be light hearted / in good humour.

Also for goodness sake please don’t start the helmet debate again here.

Should be in the bike forum 😈

Northwind

Ever stood beside a frozen lake and felt the compulsion to walk on the ice even though you’re absolutely sure you’ll regret it? That’s exactly how I feel about all these threads 😆

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

Unless the title is particularly interesting to me I usually don’t bother reading anything with more than 2 pages as guaranteed it’ll be a load of petty arguing by people that really need to get out more 😆

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I bet not as well you know best eh and all those experts are being proved wrong eh.

Hmm, can’t remember saying I knew any better TBH. I don’t but I do put my trust in people who I think should know, not some random STW member.

feel free to pour scorn on folk more informed than you and diss them for being brighter as well

Can’t remember saying either of those! Where did I say that? I did say I was not ‘fcking’ surprised as to how many experts we have on here. (why aren’t these people running the country?)

Pulling out of the Steel deals

Was that anything to do with Redcar & Port Talbot steel plants? (honestly don’t know)

If you must criticise folk then prove that what they said was wrong – best of luck on that front best of luck.

I didn’t criticise anyone, I said (once again) I was not surprised at how many experts we have on this forum. All of a sudden.

Have you still got the Orange? 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘You know they say if you don't like a thread then don't open it?’ is closed to new replies.