Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You dog owners may know…
  • ohnohesback
    Free Member

I’ve been looking after a nieghbours’s Jack Russell cross (ie. a mutt) for the last week, he goes home tomorrow. He’s been a good boy but I can’t understand why he continually wants to lick me whenever he sees me. Obviously it’s pack animal bonding behaviour but what can be done to stop him apart from a firm “NO!”?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Unzip and enjoy.

tracknicko
    Free Member

if you’d not tempted him in with the peanut butter in the 1st place…

learned behaviour ya see…

wwaswas

Do you work at the Marmite factory?

anagallis_arvensis

Its being submissive a firm no and moving it away should do it eventually. It being with new people and seeing you as a new leader to suck up to would have made it worse than normal.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Won’t somebody think of the Land Cruisers 🙁

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Not much really – try covering your entire body in Mustard everytime you come home that should put him off.. 😀

ohnohesback
    Free Member

It’s my hands that he wants to constantly lick. And he doesnt want to be out of sight of me. Were he mine for good I’d try to retrain him.

tracknicko
    Free Member

It’s my hands that he wants to constantly lick. And he doesnt want to be out of sight of me. Were he mine for good I’d try to retrain him.

sounds like a nice dog on the whole. good problem to have. out last dog used to try and kill me and the mrs at regular intervals.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

And there are the delights of his daily walks, Must you stop and pee on every bush, Titch? And as I let you out on the garden before you walked could you possibly arrange to s**t there rather than have me do the poop and scoop? Can you at least try to vary the pace of your walk rather than try to pull my arm off on the outbound leg of your habitual walk route and then decide that you’ve had enough and drag all the way back?

But he is a good dog. Just remember, a dog is a life-changing committment.

DezB
    Free Member

My dog insists on licking my sweaty face when I get home from commuting. I just lick her back. Not her “back”, but “her back”. Oh forgetaboutit

grantway
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – Member
    Unzip and enjoy.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

MrsToast
    Free Member

Are you salty and delicious? Slightly bacon flavoured?

grantway
    Free Member

DezB – Member
    My dog insists on licking my sweaty face when I get home from commuting. I just lick her back. Not her “back”, but “her back”

Been watching to much Animal Farm !

grantway
    Free Member

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Are you offering to lick me Mrs Toast?

ricdiggle
    Free Member

He’s doing it to let you know that he likes you and that you’re the boss. This means you must have done a good job with him for the week.

He’s also doing it to learn more about you as your scents tell him all sorts of things.

There is also a theory that dogs get endorphin rushes from licking things – so he’s kind of getting off on it maybe. Which is always nice.

Our dog likes to lick us mostly when he’s had his head up his own arse for 20 minutes or so. Which is rarely nice.

I can’t think it’s applicable but dogs usually lick as a ‘last warning’ before they bite.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Are you offering to lick me Mrs Toast?

Not until you’ve answered the question. You might taste of soot and wee, dogs aren’t fussy…

psling
    Free Member

My understanding is that dogs lick things to clean their tongue after cleaning their @rse/b@lls/etc. with it…

grantway
    Free Member

ricdiggle – Member
    He’s doing it to let you know that he likes you and that you’re the boss. This means you must have done a good job with him for the week.

He’s also doing it to learn more about you as your scents tell him all sorts of things.

There is also a theory that dogs get endorphin rushes from licking things – so he’s kind of getting off on it maybe. Which is always nice.

Our dog likes to lick us mostly when he’s had his head up his own arse for 20 minutes or so. Which is rarely nice.

I can’t think it’s applicable but dogs usually lick as a ‘last warning’ before they bite.

So you don’t know !

DezB
    Free Member

I taste of soot and wee. I just tried it. S’ok.

SiB
    Free Member

We spary an apple flavoured repellent on the couch to keep the dogs off and it works a treat……..would be a bit of an inconvenience to spray it on your hands everytime you’re with the dog but I’m sure after a while the licking would stop once the dog knows its a bad taste (smells nice to humans so not too bad on your hands)

We’ve got a spanish water dog and a springer who can both be quite lively to say the least and like to tear and rip play with the cushions…….a quick spray of the apple scent on the cushions stopped that behaviour instantly.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

More like Frazzles, Mrs Toast.

ricdiggle
    Free Member

So you don’t know !

I do too.

You can just pick any of the listed possibilities you’d like it to be the most. 😆

justatheory
    Free Member

Isn’t licking neotenous behaviour? I read somewhere that dogs retain puppy characteristics of which begging for food by licking (especially around the face) is included.

Unzip and enjoy.

Quality…creased up at this comment.

DezB
    Free Member

neotenous

Nice word

Del

And he doesnt want to be out of sight of me

that’s just a terrier thing IME. they’re just nosey or sociable. put whichever slant on it you prefer. 😀

dave360

man I love this forum

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘You dog owners may know…’ is closed to new replies.