Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You couldn't buy this kind of publicity
  • neilthewheel

Sony cancels The Interview release amid threats

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-30526406

This was the lead item on R4 Today this morning, all accompanied by repeated airings of the trailer (it sounds about as funny as ebola by the way).
    Call me a cynic but it surely isn’t beyond the wit of a marketing department to cook up the whole vague terrorist threat. I bet £10 that within a fortnight the security threat will have been dealt with, Sony will issue some cod about not allowing free speech to be trampled and the film will be in American cinemas playing to big audiences.

Pigface
    Free Member

Cynicaltrackworld?

Matt24k
    Free Member

I think this is the real deal rather than a marketing exercise.
    The fallout from all the hacked emails is continuing and swords are being fallen on.

DezB
    Free Member

Wassit about?

ninfan
    Free Member

Sony must have caved in under pressure from the Film Actors Guild

This type of thing has happened before with them, I saw it in documentary a while back.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I quite like Franco as an actor and now want to see this film even more. I saw the trailer at the cinema and thought, hhmmm maybe worth seeing but now I certainly want to see it. Perfect marketing, if it was made up, but I also think this is the real deal. Straight to DVD?

the-muffin-man

They should make it freely available on the internet for the whole world to see. That’ll learn Kim Jong-un!

binners

It looks and sounds bloody awful! They probably realised this and pulling it due to a terrorist threat sounds better than ‘straight to DVD’

thegreatape
    Free Member

Or get Rupert to put a free copy in next weekends edition of the Kim Il-Sung on Sunday

BoardinBob

Given the content of Team America, I didn’t see North Korea chucking their toys out the pram over that, and this new film would have to be pretty brutal to out-do Team America 😆

tpbiker
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALYw9eJ_jf0&feature=youtu.be[/video]

chakaping
    Free Member

I think this is the real deal rather than a marketing exercise.
    The fallout from all the hacked emails is continuing and swords are being fallen on.

+1

Read up on it a bit more then come back and tell us what you think OP.

shermer75
    Free Member

I agree wih the OP- the film will get released and 10x as many people will watch than before.

BBC News

shermer75
    Free Member

Judd Apatow seems to have a handle on it:

Film producer Judd Apatow, meanwhile, offered a different slant on the move, saying: “This only guarantees that this movie will be seen by more people on earth than it would have before. Legally or illegally all will see it.”

convert

I’m certainly no Kim Jong-un apologist but was a film about the fictitious assassination of a living actual person where the assassination is depicted as a good thing really ever a sensible idea. Seems in quite poor taste to me.

nick1962
    Free Member

Not so sure it’s a publicity stunt.An enemy foreign power hacking into a major corporation’s IT system and then threatening terrorist acts after releasing this statement earlier this year “If the United States administration tacitly approves or supports the release of this film, we will take a decisive and merciless countermeasure,” a spokesman for its Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a statement carried by the state-run Korean Central News Agency.
    Remember this a bit closer to home?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-27038723

thebunk

Sony are massively screwed so not a publicity stunt. Don’t think it is an enemy foreign power either. Probably kids. Meddling.

neilthewheel

Read up on it a bit more then come back and tell us what you think OP.

Get out of here with your evidence-based reasonableness.

pk13

Sony running for the hills I wonder how much info the hackers got.

chakaping
    Free Member

Judd Apatow seems to have a handle on it:

He’s suggesting Sony won’t get paid though, which hardly supports it being a publicity stunt.

It isn’t, as others have said – Sony are up shit creek.

hels
    Free Member

Sony must have some very poor IT Security in place, will be interesting to see how this all happened.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Wasn’t there a film made a while ago about the assassination of George W Bush?

Cougar

Hackers have already carried out a cyber attack on Sony and warned the public to stay away from cinemas screening the film.

There’s something deeply Not Right about all this.

Here, read this:

Why the Sony hack is unlikely to be the work of North Korea.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Could North Korea do similar for anything Michael Bay is involved in?

rumple
    Free Member

shit is about to hit the fan

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-30555997

“The US Federal Bureau of Investigation says North Korea was behind a cyber-attack on Sony Pictures over a film about its leader Kim Jong-un.”

neilthewheel
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘You couldn't buy this kind of publicity’ is closed to new replies.