Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You are on holiday,stuck on a tiny island,a bit bored.
  • fasthaggis

I suppose at some point,you may start to think that hanging on a fence behind a jet engine is a good idea. 😯

What could possibly go wrong!

You would think that the Airport has to be partly responsible for not restricting access to that area during take offs?

legend
    Free Member

Folk go to the island specifically to do that, don’t think the airport is going to give a crap (and rightly so imo)

Rubber_Buccaneer

I think she was unlucky. I bet a few on here have been silly enough to stand behind the jet car at Santa Pod

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

You would think that the Airport has to be partly responsible for not restricting access to that area during take offs?

there are big signs, that’s enough. Stupid is as stupid does.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

or maybe whatever department of local government (probably all local on this island I guess) does the planning permission

Darwin in action, either way.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I bet a few on here have been silly enough to stand behind the jet car at Santa Pod

*raises hand sheepishly*

oikeith

more or less stupid then the cyclist and the truck clip that did the rounds last week?

molgrips
    Free Member

Bit mean spirited to laugh at this poor woman’s death isn’t it? Have you never made a stupid mistake?

legend
    Free Member

Not seeing anyone laughing

molgrips
    Free Member

Reference to Darwin not a bit unpleasant?

legend
    Free Member

Unpleasant but accurate (goes into dangerous position, dies), not seeing anyone laughing though

kcal

Not laughing. but perhaps a step beyond a mistake?

molgrips
    Free Member

there are big signs, that’s enough. Stupid is as stupid does.

Signs clearly not enough. You know what people are like. That’s someone’s daughter, mother, sister.. it’s a tragedy. Pronouncing them stupid on an internet forum for no real reason, bit shitty imo.

I’m out.

RobHilton
    Free Member

She’s only an idiot because it went worng for her. I’d do it cos it’d be funsies – and I’d probly survive.

If I died doing it I’d die having fun.

stevied
    Free Member

35 secs in 😯

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV28AL0k1kY&feature=youtu.be[/video]

legend
    Free Member

Would be disappointed if it was a 737 that got me rather than the 747s that fly from there

jimdubleyou

Bit late for Darwin, she was 57…

Sadly, people do silly things (like riding bikes down rough tracks) and get hurt.

It’s a shame, but there’s nobody else to blame but her.

aracer
    Free Member

From what I can work out based on the other videos, she would have been standing on a public road outside the airport perimeter. I’m not sure what the airport authorities can practically do.

martinhutch

Can they not stick up some more solid structure between the jet and the perimeter to deflect/lessen the jetwash?

You get the impression that the authorities see this as a bit of a tourist attraction. I expect they’ll have to crack down on it now, belatedly.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Looking at how low the planes come over the beach I’m not sure a solid structure for them to navigate would be a great idea.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I’m waiting for the sequel to the video above – Plane blown by girl 😯

martinhutch

Looking at how low the planes come over the beach I’m not sure a solid structure for them to navigate would be a great idea.

Suppose so, even if no higher than the present chainlink fence.

You’d hope that dragging your landing gear over the sunbathers wasn’t part of the formula for a partially-successful landing.

wallop

I’ve been to that beach! Both landings and take offs are quite exciting but I must admit I hid in the sea for the take offs – if only because it seemed the best way to avoid being blasted by sand. The best thing was when the 747s came into land – only on a Thursday 😉

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I’ve been there too, and been at the fence for a take off. Stupid, stinking fun.
    I prefer the airport at Los Roques. No fence and a more intimate feel…

If there are a lot of pelicans around when a plane is coming in a guy walks to the water’s edge and fires a shotgun to scare them off. I’ve still seen two bird go into props over the years.

Wookster

I’ve done that loads!! 😆 great fun especially after a few drinks in the bar the other side of the road. The strength of the wind is amazing as the jets take off. Sounds really unlucky for the poor lady involved, I think there was a small wall there which maybe she struck with her head. 😐

CountZero

Signs clearly not enough. You know what people are like. That’s someone’s daughter, mother, sister.. it’s a tragedy. Pronouncing them stupid on an internet forum for no real reason, bit shitty imo.

If the signs are not enough, what do you, in your wisdom, suggest?
    It’s a public area, and yes, I guess they could build a wall, but I’d place a certain bet that people would find something to stand on, which would only compound the danger, but the thing is it’s almost impossible to legislate against the stupidity of humans; sure, you could send people packing at gunpoint, or have police there 24/7, but honestly, is that legitimate use of police time?
    The beach between Burnham-on-Sea and Brean is very dangerous, it’s nearly six miles long, the tide goes out nearly a mile and comes in at 3mph, and there are large areas of very soft mud, often with a thin skim of sand over the top, and if you walk into a patch it’s incredibly difficult, often impossible to get yourself out without help.
    There are signs on entry, which say, quite clearly ‘Warning. Soft sand and mud. Danger of sinking’, and you’re handed a leaflet on beach safety.
    But still, every year, a significant number of grockles try to walk to the sea, then get stuck, some even try to drive a ton or two of car towards the sea, and express astonishment when it gets stuck up to the floorpan and disappears under twenty or thirty feet of salt water.
    The local hovercraft is called out over two hundred times a year, although not all are to beach rescues, and some people get themselves out of trouble, but still, the same point applies: at what point to you start to put into place forcible restrictions on what people can or can’t do in a public place, when they are the only ones at risk from their own actions?
    It’s a very slippery slope, quite literally, in fact, because you could then imagine restricting cyclists access to certain areas of countryside, because of a perceived risk of injury, or mountain walkers/climbers, hang gliders, parachutists, skiers…
    What this poor lady did wasn’t much different to people going close to the seafront during a storm with big waves coming in, and either being hit by a large piece of debris or being knocked over and hitting her head, or washed out to sea, again, people are warned time and time again about the dangers, time and time again the warnings are ignored.

maccruiskeen

Bit late for Darwin, she was 57…

Indeed. Thoughtlessness under the guise of being clever. Its surprising how often on this forum references to Darwin awards are made by people who weren’t paying attention in ‘O’ Level biology.

Duffer
    Free Member

If we assume the aircraft was parked on the piano keys, then this woman will have been about 50m behind it. The jet blast from there will have been somewhere around 35mph; little more than a strong gust of [warm] wind. It really isn’t the suicide mission that people are making out.

She was taken by surprise, fell over, and banged her head.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Pfft on Barra the plane lands on the beach.

grumpysculler
    Free Member

If the signs are not enough, what do you, in your wisdom, suggest?

In the UK, signs carry the square root of bugger all weight as a tool for safety. Caribbean countries generally operate to a different standard.

The proper action, given there is a significant history of dangerous behaviour, is probably to close the road and beach for the stretch behind the runway. Or to stop flying aircraft of that size to the island. Neither is particularly palatable for the island.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘You are on holiday,stuck on a tiny island,a bit bored.’ is closed to new replies.