Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)
  • YorkshireDales300 ITT 27th June 2015
  • whitestone
    Free Member

@IvanDobski

🙂

I thought I’d recce the last 100Km the other week (back from Horton basically). Got as far as Malham – checked to see what the noise in the drivetrain was and found that the bearings had gone in the bottom bracket! Went to the cafe and then nursed the bike back home.

I’ve done most of the route in bits over the last few years, main bit I don’t know is from the top of the Gunnerside mines to the foot of Buttertubs.

I don’t think Askrigg is a third of the way? 😳

IvanDobski
    Free Member

In terms of distance it isn’t a third but it’s a “natural third” on the ground if that makes sense?

Basically I’m thinking below the A684 = first third, loop above A684 = middle third, A684 back to Skipton = final third. On the day I suspect it’ll be a resupply in Askrigg before heading into the most remote section and aiming to be mostly through this section before grabbing a couple of hours sleep.

whitestone
    Free Member

Ah, see what you mean. How long did it take you to get to Askrigg? I’ve not done the BW between Kettlewell and Starbotton and have only done the one over Stake Moss from N – S but that’s decent going in either direction.

I can do somewhere around 12-14kph over that sort of terrain, i.e. sustainable speed rather than an hour’s blast so maybe Reeth might be a target before the shops shut. Worth having a simple spreadsheet of hrs vs speed then you can figure out where you’ll be in relation to opening times for shops, cafes and pubs.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Set off from Embsay at about 1115hrs and got into Askrigg at about 1815hrs with a couple of 15 minutes breaks for a sandwich and another for a mechanical.

That bridleway between Kettlewell and Starbotton was by far the worst part of the ride! It’s a push up for the most part, a few boggy fields with loads of gates and then the descent was very slippery and hard to get any kind of flow – particularly after several hours of none-tech riding. The descent might be better in the dry but the climb is always going to be a struggle.

Stake Moss was fine, the only part which was a bit of a pain in the arse was where the track heads over Worton Pasture to Cubeck – again, lots of boggy fields with gates so a relatively short distance took a disproportionate amount of time. If it’s dry for the event it’ll be a lot better.

I looked at Reeth for re-supplying but thought that it might be pushing it for time, particularly in the event of a mechanical between Askrigg and Reeth. When I got to Askrigg yesterday everything was shut so I imagine Reeth will be the same post 1700hrs.

postierich
    Free Member

Hopefully the Dales Centre at Reeth might help out with resupplies!

Has the list been updated i.e. people dropping out to let others in any chance of a riders list!

Rich

whitestone
    Free Member

Was thinking of getting to the Dales Centre and partaking of the cafe 😀 There’s a cafe in the castle at Castle Bolton and a pub and shop in Redmire (slightly off-route). Yes, Dales village shops aren’t generally in to extended hours.

I’ve not had an email from Stuart since the initial one so no idea on entry updates.

I’ve seen comments about the descent to Starbotton being quite technical, possibly in the VP guidebook, and the climb out of Kettlewell looks more like a push to conserve energy. At the moment things are a bit “soft” and take a lot of energy – when I rode the route as far as Conistone those tracks through the old mines at Yarnbury were really hard work as you felt like you were sinking in to them. A lot easier when they are in summer condition. Gates etc. not too bad if you are in a small group and can take turns in getting each one but a real pain if you are on your own. I rode up the Pennine Bridleway last year and one section was: gate; 100m of riding; gate; 50m riding’ gate; etc. Being efficient at mounting/dismounting helps a lot as does figuring out which way they open.

GregMay
    Free Member

So how are we all faring in prep for this?

postierich
    Free Member

Pretty poor just about to head out on my fat tie to get some miles in!

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Panicking slightly!

Went from Askrigg to Reeth earlier this week and it was seriously heavy going, long uphill drag into a headwind over Grinton Fell which is being resurfaced in places so is mostly a shale type soft surface.

I don’t think I’m going to risk catching the shops in Reeth as the timing from the start point to Reeth is (for me) pretty tight if I include some time for mechanicals etc.

I had cows bucking, kicking and charging at me as I was passing through a field on the way to Castle Bolton which “livened things up” to say the least.

There’s also an annoying number of diversions which appear to be in place solely to bump up the miles. On several occasions you find yourself riding along a perfectly good track then dropping a load of height down some side track only to climb back up to the original track about 100m and 30 minutes from where you were.

I’d rather this artificiality was removed as it’s just annoying. If the track is part of the route then fair enough but some of them are just pointless.

Still not sure on taking a sleeping bag or trying to push on through the night.

martinhutch

It looks like Stu has tweaked the route a bit from its first incarnation. Makes a lot more sense to me now looking at it. He’s replaced a horrid grassy climb out of Kettlewell with a vicious steep one which starts up Park Rash!

Wish I had the legs to go that sort of distance.

eddie11
    Free Member

ok. but no more. just trying to accumulate lots of time on the bike. Cant see how you can ‘train’ for any other aspects.

Checked out 80ish miles of the route a month ago. the bits i didn’t know. Stu then decided to remove them. oh well. 😆 To be fair it looks more logical as a loop now, although does miss a lovely bit in the north west corner.

whitestone
    Free Member

Have got some long rides in recently though not many in the last few weeks, I’ve a trip to Scotland next weekend doing the upper half of the WHW with my wife.

Re: cows. They’ve just been turned out after a winter inside so it’s a case of “Bright yellow thing in the sky! Run!”, “Funny half-man on wheels! Run!”, there’s some just been released in to the field in front of our house and they rush around at anything. We rode the Castle Bolton – Apedale loop last weekend and went through those fields and the cattle were fine so I think they’ve now settled down.

With the start time now at 10 it’s made things very tight on getting to Reeth in time for the shops, 96Km in 7 hours, Hmmmm, allowing for mechanicals, etc. you are looking at 16kmh to make it. Askrigg would be the safest option for restocking though it’s slightly off-route.

Is the “diversion” you are talking about the one dropping to Carperby?

Looking forward to it!

whitestone
    Free Member

@martinhutch The climb up to Moor Top wasn’t easy – it was a push for me from the third gate until after the zig-zags. Not sure if it was any easier than Park Rash though, I’ve only done the latter on a road bike.

Living locally I’ve ridden all/most of the tracks over the years, with one exception it’s all rideable – well I wouldn’t fancy riding it on a loaded bike – I walked it when unloaded!

martinhutch

I think the one starting up Park Rash is a better option. May not feel like it fully laden though! Hopefully the bit traversing Buckden Pike will be dryish, too.

whitestone
    Free Member

Everything is (or was last weekend) pretty dry ATM, in places it’s too dry as all the divots from cattle make progress pretty bumpy. Makes you look forward to the rocky tracks 😛

I might be in energy conservation mode going up Park Rash, AKA walking!

Edit: anyone using a SPOT tracker? I’m not as I don’t have one. Not sure if there’s a trackleader page being set up for it.

GregMay
    Free Member

I rode a chunk last weekend SS…it may not have been the wisest choice as I was riding home from the Lakes. Some ace bits, some not so ace. But that is how it is I suppose.

I’ll have a SPOT, but as far as I am aware there were no plans for a Trackleaders page.

whitestone
    Free Member

I was chatting to someone about the YD300 the other week and he reckoned that it was potentially harder than the Cairngorm Loop which he’s done. Having not (yet) done either in one go I couldn’t comment but an interesting hypothesis as they are of similar distance.

With over 7000 metres of ascent I’ll be looking to enter the Strava climbing challenge for June 😀 The route has some steep hills, some long hills and some long, steep hills! Not sure if I’d cope on an SS. I can’t ride the hill climbing out of Stainforth with gears when I’m fresh so there’s no way I’ll be riding it after 220Km!

GregMay
    Free Member

potentially harder than the Cairngorm Loop which

To be fair, the Cairngorms loop is probably the easiest of the current crop of routes. Totally suited to a singlespeed as well, with not that much climbing.

It’s the timing of it, and the weather, that make it difficult.

I think the YD300 will be difficult SS..but not that bad.

Either way I’ll probably be on my Spearfish 🙂

eddie11
    Free Member

There’s a little bike shop opened in askrigg which should be good for supplies and a little village shop that shuts at 5.

Hawes does epic fish and chips but not well placed for timing

GregMay
    Free Member

Latest version of the route has landed 🙂

whitestone
    Free Member

A couple of small changes from what I can see: one makes it easier not sure about the other.

@eddi11: It’s the Hawes gala on the Saturday so things might be open, manic or both! You’d have to be shifting though especially with the 1000 start time.

Any strategy (other than keep pedalling 🙄 ) will have to be decided nearer the time, well the night before.

ianfitz
    Free Member

The extra couple of km just before Horton? The direct route is a FP. The new trail is a forest road and a reasonable track (as I remember) doubt it will add more than a few minutes. Certainly should cost as much time as will be saved coming over buttertubs rather than the uppy/ downy BW turn off that was in before.

And prep. Yes. Was going well but have had some sort of stomach bug for 6 days now! Never known anything like it. Finally feeling a bit better today but…

Have a few weeks to see how I actually am I guess.

whitestone
    Free Member

I like that bit of uppy-downy BW 😀 a good blast down in to Sedbusk.

The direct line above Horton is a footpath, part of the Pennine Way I think.

Prep: I need to do a long ride this weekend then ease up a bit

GregMay
    Free Member

Bristol Bikefest for me this weekend – then more long stuff the weekend after. Taper shmaper.

postierich
    Free Member

Do you have to start at Skipton? I have the week off and must admit doing that route in 2 days is going to be a struggle for me so looking at riding from Kendal to Dent and starting my route from there, and riding to Skipton on the Friday giving me obviously a head start. So i will then ride the route from Skipton to Dent obviously taking in a few pubs on route at a nice pace taking in the scenery and not killing myself as I rely on my legs to work!!

Rich is it allowed 🙂

ianfitz
    Free Member

you can do what ever you like but I’d imagine that if you want to be recorded as a finisher you’ll have to start the route at the start and finish at the finish, if you just fancy a ride based on the route then there’s no reason not too.

Also thinking about it. As it is a social ride and not a race, there’s no reason not to start at 8am if it make resupplies easier. I realise that Stuart has proposed a group roll out at 10, but…

I may go with an 8am start ITT will see what my travelling companions feel like doing.

postierich
    Free Member

10am start is very bizarre if its going to be warm! Not fussed about being recorded just want to do a rideable loop in the Dales just hate the fact that your limited by time. I like my beer an nowt beats a sociable beer with like minded people!
    Anyone up for going on the lash in Skipton 🙂

martinhutch

Anyone up for going on the lash in Skipton

Cunning ploy to nobble the opposition with massive hangovers…

Tempted, as I’m not riding it!

The direct line above Horton is a footpath, part of the Pennine Way I think.

The bit above Old Ing isn’t even a footpath…it joins the main BW to Horton though.

whitestone
    Free Member

Anyone up for going on the lash in Skipton

Braver man than me 😆

Stu has indicated that the 1000 start time is to accommodate people travelling to Skipton on the Saturday morning. Does make some of the timings for getting to shops, etc. a bit awkward though.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Long-range weather forecast says it should be cloudy but dry which is good but follows a bit of wet weather so the ground might be heavy going which is bad.

I’ve decided to take a sleeping bag and bivi bag so I’ll inevitably end up using them, no stove or anything but might treat myself to a self-heating can of coffee for breakfast.

Whilst 1000hrs sound good I’d rather start at 0800hrs as otherwise it’s going to be tight on time for Askrigg so I’ll miss the group start I reckon.

I wish I’d done all the training I was planning on doing!

whitestone
    Free Member

I was up on Boss Moor on Saturday and it was exceedingly dry, as dry as I’ve seen it in a long time. I did 77Km in total and there were just two short (less than 5 metres) sections of mud/wet. Sections of track that were heavy going a month or so ago are now rock hard.

I’m waiting until closer to the time to figure out my strategy, worst for me would be warm and humid – in that case I might need to use the Monday that I’ve booked off 😳

Unless it’s going to be wet and windy I think I’ll go with sleeping bag and tarp with the tarp just in case of precipitation during the night. I’ll carry as much food as I can and try and top up along the way.

eddie11
    Free Member

Bump

Is there a roll call for this?

I’ll start off: me

What’s the verdict on conditions? I’m expecting very wet ground but dry sky (at least on Saturday)

martinhutch

I’m expecting very wet ground but dry sky (at least on Saturday)

I suspect you’ll be pleasantly surprised then. Utterly dry and very little rain expected here pre-start.

I also rode Boss Moor (which is a benchmark for Dales sloppiness) yesterday. Almost too dusty.

I’m envious of you guys (in a way), but just don’t have the health or the miles in my legs this year.

whitestone
    Free Member

@eddi11 I’m in 8) I’ll be one of the Skipton CC contingent – the bald one! I’ll be in Skipton CC kit.

Looking like it’s going to be fine (and warm) on Saturday with rain coming in early (0700 or thereabouts) Sunday. I think I’m going to stick with the strategy (fancy word for plan) that I mentioned in my post from last week.

@Martin Nice to know that Boss Moor is dry. I’m assuming you mean the maintained bit northwards towards Malham Moor Lane that the YD300 uses? It was slightly soft last Saturday evening when we went over there but given that there’s been little precipitation this week and a decent breeze I’m not surprised it’s dry.

Edit: Did a bit of Strava stalking 😆 – looks like we are talking about the same bit.

How’s the recovery from your spill going?

martinhutch

The whole section from the end of Moor Lane out of Hetton right over to Mastiles. Having said that, it’s just starting raining here!

TBH, looking at Stu’s route, I can think of only a handful of sections where ground conditions are relevant.

How’s the recovery from your spill going?

Still in a dressing and a bit sore, but I’ve managed 50 miles or so this week, so can’t complain. Probably offended several dozen roadies by wearing one armwarmer, though. 🙂

Did you spot my mini bonk halfway up Scot Gate Lane? Had to sit down for a couple of gels and push all the ups from there to the Grassington Mines…weird.

whitestone
    Free Member

There were a few spots of rain this morning before I left for work but I don’t think it will come to much, it would need a deluge to change things now.

Didn’t analyse your ride too much! Scot Gate Lane goes on for a long way – a couple of false flats just before and after the mast, at least we are going down that bit.

Looked like you were maintaining a decent speed at the end anyway.

I did a quick and very rough calculation: I think there’s about 120Km of road on the route which surprised me TBH but linking bridleways up legally is always going to involve some road work. The one bit I’ve never done is the BW between the top of Park Rash round to Cam Head which I think is one of the sections that can get boggy. Worton Pasture is another along with Boss Moor. Apart from that it’s reasonably weather proof. What I think *will* be hard in the current conditions are the fields between Woodhall and Castle Bolton along with the climb up from Castle Bolton – they were bumpy with cattle hoof divots a few weeks ago, sort of Yorkshire washboard! The forecast rain will make Stockdale lane tricky for tired riders.

eddie11
    Free Member

Oooh, promising. My plan is try to get to hawes before the chip shop shuts, after that is play it by ear.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I’m in, despite being hideously under-prepared in terms of training.

I’ve going with a sleeping bag, bivvy bag and tarp combo and a couple of self heating meals (and a heavy but potentially morale boosting can of self-heating coffee) for supper and breakfast rather than a stove.

Based on the couple of recce rides I did I think I’ll be aiming to resupply in Askrigg rather then Reeth/Grinton but hopefully arrive in time for a brew at the Dales Cycle Centre. Then it’ll be a case of pushing on as far as possible to Bainbridge before getting some sleep.

The following day just knock off the next 100 miles after emptying the Bainbridge village shop to get me on the way again. Job done.

Weather forecast is varying between dry on Saturday but wet on Sunday and wet on both days so I expect we’ll get wet at some point!

martinhutch

The one bit I’ve never done is the BW between the top of Park Rash round to Cam Head which I think is one of the sections that can get boggy.

Didn’t realise he was taking you all the way up Park Rash on tarmac as opposed to straight up the bastard Top Mere Road BW. With that and Buttertubs you’ll be roadie fit after this.

Ivan – Does Bainbridge have a village store? I’m racking my brains to think of where it is.

whitestone
    Free Member

It’s Hawes Gala tomorrow – the chippy might be fun.

DBC shuts at 1700 according to their website. I don’t think I’d want to eat too much there with Fremington Edge about 400 metres away – it might make a reappearance!

I’m going with tarp and sleeping bag only: it’s forecast for a warm night and I’m a warm sleeper.

Food wise I’m taking wraps (beans, cheese, salsa and salad filling) as general trail food along with some energy bars and gels. Secret weapon is marzipan! I’m not bothering with a stove.

General aim is to keep going with as few stops as possible until early evening then find the nearest pub and get a good meal then continue until 2230-2300 by which time it will be dark and I’ll be knackered. Get up in morning (I tend to wake as soon as it gets light) and continue to finish whilst swearing at the rain.

@martinhutch Done both on the road bike but neither on an MTB. The one road climb I really am not looking forward to is the climb up out of Malham past Goredale to Lee Gate Farm. (that little climb up to Skipton Castle coming in from Embsay is going to be a bitch as well)

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘YorkshireDales300 ITT 27th June 2015’ is closed to new replies.