Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)
  • YorkshireDales300 ITT 27th June 2015
  • sturider

Yorkshiredales300

Anyone fancy a rather long bike mtb ride around the Yorkshire Dales. I have some places available so if you would like to join me for a great adventure then please email me at riderscyclecentre@live.co.uk to confirm your place.

Please click on the link for more info. It’s 7 months off so plenty of time to train. It’s a long ride that should take you no more than the weekend. It is an individual time trail self supported ride etc etc. More info to follow on the yorkshiredales300.com site. If you need any more info to help make the decision then please contact me at Riders Cycle Centre 01756 796844. FREE TO ENTER.

postierich
    Free Member

Go on then!!!! best not bloody rain 🙂

ChrisE
    Free Member

That’s pants, I can’t make that weekend. Would have loved to ride it.

Hopefully a plan to do another similar at another time in the same area. Maybe nearer 200Km too!!

C

ir_bandito
    Free Member

stu – sent you an email last week (on the 2nd), but not heard back from you….

sarpullido
    Free Member

It looks interesting. I’d like to do it, but racing Sellaronda Hero same weekend. Is it possible to ride it any time, right?

JohnClimber
    Free Member

My names on the list, better get training

gibbonarms
    Free Member

Looks to be quite a lot of road work on the route, have you got a rough percentage of road/off-road on the ride please?

boxelder

ChrisE – when can you go?

ChrisE
    Free Member

Most other weekends. Do you think we could get 4 or 5 of us to set off on another weekend? Needs to be mid summer.

C

bikebouy
    Free Member

Niiiice, I know the bottom section of that route quite well, don’t know the top section at all.. Think it’ll be too rough for the CX’er though.

What a great idea 😀

martinhutch

Sounds like fun – at least navigation wouldn’t be a problem for me for once. Not sure I could manage 320 over two days though…

How far do folk reckon they’d get in the first day, realistically?

dunmail
    Free Member

How far do folk reckon they’d get in the first day, realistically?

Well from 8am you’ve roughly 14hrs of usable light at that time of year – possibly more if it’s a fine day with no clouds. Let’s allow two hours for stops so that’s 12hrs. I can average 15kph over that sort of terrain including opening gates etc., so that’s roughly 180Km or just over 110 miles in old money.

Unless you are very fit and know how to look after yourself for long distances and times in the saddle then you are going to slow down significantly in the latter stages. Also you need to be able to keep your concentration going for that period of time, you’ll find yourself making mistakes on ground that normally you’d cruise over.

martinhutch

Unless you are very fit and know how to look after yourself for long distances and times in the saddle then you are going to slow down significantly in the latter stages.

This is the thing – I reckon I could keep going at a reasonable pace for 6-8 hours but always seem to hit a wall at about 5,000 ft of climbing off-road.

dunmail
    Free Member

Eating’s the thing – you need to eat regularly even if you don’t think you need anything. The problem then is that you can only take on so many calories per hour and you’ll be using more than that so you are always in deficit. For most people this isn’t actually a problem over short (less than a few days) periods as we have (ahem) reserves built in but your body does need to be accustomed to using those reserves.

There’s also the fact that your body needs to divert some of its resources to digesting the food and not everyone’s body does that effectively, again you need to become accustomed to it.

ChrisE
    Free Member

Maybe I can set up a ‘Trail Angels Goody Drop’ at our barn for anyone to enjoy. Stu, drop me an email if you want (address and location in profile). Can also be a barn to doss in although it is after 230Km so only good for super-athletes or someone more sensible doing it over three days (on night two)

C

boxelder

I’m not sure that you get the ITT thing Chris……..
    Spread tacks on the track and train the chickens to attack anyone riding with a frame bag.

martinhutch

I don’t know how he’ll be able to ride past his gaff after 150+miles without heading for the sofa…

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Woot! I’m in! Can’t be as bad as the BB200 can it?

dunmail
    Free Member

How bad do you want to make it? 😆

Other than one or two short sections of pushing it’s pretty well all ridable, well when you aren’t knackered from 200Km of trails that is. Heading up the Coal Road from Garsdale Head station might be tough with 170Km in your legs 😳

martinhutch

Apart from having an extra 120km and 3,500m of ascent, there should be no appreciable difference. 🙂

Still tempted though. Might have to see how much fitter I can get by about April before committing. Or pare it down to about 200km by adjusting the route.

GregMay
    Free Member

I’ll be there.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

there should be no appreciable difference

Nae bloody tussocks and limited bog-trots. Luxury!

an extra 120km

Simple maths: BB200 was actually 227km according to my gps. I make it an extra 73km then, depending on the final route. Easy. 🙂

dazh

Stu you have mail. Looks like a great ride. That’ll be more kit I’ll have to go and buy then. Mrs Daz will not be happy.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Too close to home and the camper van parked up en-route for me to make a valid attempt. also never done more than 56 miles in a day off road.
    Any more excuses needed ?

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Well I’m in. Bugger. Suppose I should start doing some training!

Mal-ec
    Free Member

As most of you will know, Stu had his bikes nicked a few weeks ago now. They were his companions through many adventures and bought with money inherited from his dad. They are irreplaceable.
    But as he is now MTB less and as he’s setting up this event for us, essentially for free, how about we stick an extra tenner or so in the tin to help him towards getting a new frame?

peepingtom
    Free Member

Anyone worked out the climbing yet ? looks about 23000-27000ft to me .

Mal-ec
    Free Member

Looks like lots. 25,300 ish according to the GPSies site, but probably a few more.
    Beyond what my previous daily climbing total has been. 8 ascents of Snowdon-ish?

postierich
    Free Member

Going to give it a good go!! looks like there are some bits you could shorten if things get to tough weather changes.
    Good shout with the £10 donation even if he does sort out another 29er 😉

Mal-ec
    Free Member

29 or 29+ …

vondally
    Free Member

I am in as well, not ridden since may this year. LOads of time for training…………..

JohnClimber
    Free Member

vondally – Member

I am in as well, not ridden since may this year. LOads of time for training…………..

No please don’t train, I don’t want to be last 😉

miketually
    Free Member

I’d love to have a go at this, but the travel arrangements at either end don’t work for me on that weekend. I think I’ll use some sections of the route as training/preparation rides next year, and take a bash at the whole route later in the summer.

vondally
    Free Member

😆

all aside this is what intrested me

Anyone fancy a rather long bike mtb ride around the Yorkshire Dales. I have some places available so if you would like to join me for a great adventure

I like the idea thought it is a ride, seen and heard so many sportive riders racing to win………… for me if I get one day in I will be happy

off to look at that route again……………

martinhutch

Beyond what my previous daily climbing total has been. 8 ascents of Snowdon-ish?

It’s roughly the same as a SDW double in terms of distance and climbing, isn’t it. Bit more road, maybe a bit more grass and roughness in places to balance it out?

sturider

The Yorkshire Dales 300 is now full. Thank you so much to those brave 60. To those who were pondering, I’m afraid you’re too late. Can’t wait to see 60 guys and gals kitted out and ready for a great weekend riding their bikes. It’s going to be brill. I hope you all got your email. Breakfast will be served before the ride and some warm grub for when you return. See you all in June.

At some point in the near future I will be riding the route (when I get a bike sorted). There will be regular updates and info emailed to you all. I also plan to ride it with you all.

This has got me thinking. I may just arrange another shorter one for the Autumn time. Lets call it The Yorkshire Dales 200 (km)

teenrat

Very tempted by this. Rode alot of the trails around Reeth/Swaledale and Dent back in September. Some of those climbs are huge!

EDIT Doh. too late!

miketually
    Free Member

The Yorkshire Dales 300 is now full. Thank you so much to those brave 60. To those who were pondering, I’m afraid you’re too late. Can’t wait to see 60 guys and gals kitted out and ready for a great weekend riding their bikes. It’s going to be brill. I hope you all got your email. Breakfast will be served before the ride and some warm grub for when you return. See you all in June.

Good luck to the 60, and thanks to you for organising something like this.

eddie11
    Free Member

Balls. Is there a reserve list?

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I did a sneaky recce of the first third of the route yesterday – basically Embsay to Askrigg…

I have now revised my totally off-the-cuff “I reckon if I push on and don’t really stop I can do it in 24hrs” to “yeah, I’m just aiming to finish”.

Askrigg to Dent next week I think if anyone’s interested?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘YorkshireDales300 ITT 27th June 2015’ is closed to new replies.