Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Yorkshire folk, some more good news
  • headfirst
    Free Member

Adding further to our recent Olympic success I have the following to report:

About half an hour ago I had a chance encounter with Dean Downing (pro roadie, Google for more info) at the petrol station just down from Ainley Top roundabout in Huddersfield (I was getting fuel and he was hanging about on his bike and I recognised him). He was doing a recce for a Stage route for Yorkshire’s bid for the Tour de France start – he’d been through Leeds, Harrogate and Keighley amongst other places and was on his way over to Holme Moss. I mentioned 2015 or 2016 but he said they’ve been told it could be as early as 2014! So it’s not a done deal but it’s looking very positive! I’m quite excited!!

unklehomered
    Free Member

Through work I got my hands on someone from Welcome to Yorkshire the other day and interrogated them about this.

Much the same, its looking really promising. The number of signatures to the petition is a real strength to the bid as one vital thing for the Tour is the visual of the route lined with fans and the 200,000 sigs so far help show this will be the case (add to the olympics and Brad).

It seems to me the dales route could very well come through my home town too, then climb out of Pateley up to Grassington, would be a KILLER climb.

If you haven’t sign the petition of support google “Back le bid” and do so!

martinhutch

The greenhow climb would be fun. Not convinced about the delights of Keighley though.

MSP

Holme Moss would be cool, I was once overtaken by an old man going up there, my riding buddy informed me it was Reg Harris.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Great News, not sure Keighley is the image they’ll want for the Tour. Dales would be fantastic for scenery and some cracking hills.
    Put me down as a Yes to that one please.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Has the policy of public denial on Keighley been lifted then. I thought it was like Hull, we do not mention them. Ever. Or you get sent to Preston.

Tess
    Free Member

Yorkshire bid for Tour de France will only win if Keighley is in, just think of the peloton passing by Timmy Taylor’s brewery……..

trout
    Free Member

Just think of the congestion in Keighley on the pavements
    Prams and pushchairs everywhere.

I am in and just voted for it

scuttler

Holme Moss please. I’m off up tonight to paint Wiggo in preparation.
    Maybe we create something like the Dutch Corner on the first hairpin the night before.

OP must be wealthy to fill up at that place…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Yorkshire folk, some more good news’ is closed to new replies.