Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Yorkshire Dales – recommendations for good trails??
  • compass81

A group of us are travelling up to the Yorkshire Dales in June (swaledale region). We are staying for 3 days and are looking for some good trails around this area. Does anyone have any recommendations?

whitestone
    Free Member

Go to Dales Bike Centre and ask Stu.

There’s quite a few threads on here about Swaledale, like this one

devash
    Free Member

+1 for asking Stu at the Dales Bike Centre. I went up there a couple of weeks ago and he was super helpful. The lady in the bike centre cafe also makes an awesome bacon sandwich.

compass81

Thanks, luckily that’s where we are staying. We have booked the whole place as quite a few if us. stu did say there were loads of rides straight from the door. Just wanted to get an idea of a good starter ride for Friday afternoon. I’ll take a look at the thread. 🙂

compass81

looking forward to the cakes, they definitely swung it for us when choosing the accommodation!

whitestone
    Free Member

Fremington Edge can be a bit of a shock – it’s just about the biggest climb in the vicinity and it’s fairly steep. For a Friday afternoon taster I’d do this:

Come out of DBC, turn right and after the bridge over the river the road turns sharp L but go straight ahead (signposted Leyburn) then take the first R onto a narrow lane. After a few hundred metres the lane bears left and starts to head uphill. There’s a BW on the R which goes through fields then cuts across to follow the river bank. Eventually the BW comes back out onto the same lane you were on before. Turn L and in a couple of hundred metres turn R and head up the hillside. The BW is initially tricky but then joins a track. When you reach a junction of tracks (near a shooting hut) go L and up again onto the top of Harkerside Moor. From here you can head along the edge until you find a track heading down left that you like the look of, there’s lots. (The best descent is The Pipeline but it’s quite tricky to find if you don’t know the area) Play around on the moor following rocky tracks and then drop back into Grinton.

You might push it to get 10Km out of the ride but there’s lots to do in there, I don’t think I’ve followed the same route twice, you can just follow your nose really once you’ve dropped down off the top. With the weather we’ve had in the Dales everything will be bone dry.

compass81

Sounds good, I’ll make a note of that, thanks

slowoldman

Swaledale and Stu’s place are both brilliant. I would suggest a good starter before getting stuck into the hard stuff might be to cycle up Arkengarthdale towards Ankle Town before heading off west to do the Great Pinseat circuit then heading back down to Helaugh.

The Bridge Inn across the road from the Bike Centre is good for food as is the Punchbowl at Low Row.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Yorkshire Dales – recommendations for good trails??’ is closed to new replies.