Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Yorkshire Dales conditions – route advice please
  • tomj
    Free Member

So after the theiving scrotes took my bike the good news is the insurance has come good and I’m looking at a new bike. I’m demoing a bike on Sunday, but the daylight, family commitments and Sunday trading laws mean I’ve only got time for a 3hr ish ride. Where would be good in the Southern dales for this given the ammount of rain. I’d like to give the bike a decent test, but not try out its bog swimming potential! Anyone been there recently and know whats riding well at the moment?

Obviously Gisburn’s an option but ridden there a lot this year and fancied somewhere else. Any suggestions?? Thanks

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Are you far from Stainburn? Ideal place to try a bike out.

tomj
    Free Member

Very close to Stainburn. I agree it would be ideal, and I ride there a lot, but I fancy a bit more of a ‘ride’ if you know what I mean?

Thanks for the suggestion though

bspoked
    Free Member

If you are near Stainburn then Nidderdale isn’t far away. Scar House/Ramsgill is pretty all weather.

I hike-a-biked Ingleborough the other day after all the storms and it was no different to usual.

allthegear
    Free Member

Up by Scar House Reservoir is definitely all-weather but make sure you are, too! It can be pretty nasty up there if you have an issue with the test bike…

Rachel

wl
    Free Member

Not sure about the Dales but the Pennines were about as wet as they ever get yesterday. Lots of ground water, tons of mud, greasy as anything. Guessing dales will be similar.

martinhutch

I rode from Clapham to Skipton last weekend. Surprisingly good nick for the most part, and there hasn’t been that much rain since.

There are some areas I’d be avoiding now, so if you’ve got some idea of a route, I can probably advise you of any problematic bits.

Settle Loop clockwise would be OK apart from the initial climb out of Settle, which is over soon enough, and a short section where you head south to Stockdale Lane – I’d take the extra descent to Langbar Gate down the road a bit then up to Stockdale.

You can construct a smaller loop out of Clapham which would be almost entirely fine via Long Lane, Crummackdale with optional cheeky, then back via Austwick/Feizor. That would probably take you not much more than 2hrs.

tmb467
    Free Member
    martinhutch

I’d recommend against that, at least in reverse. Both the approaches to Weets Top will be turning into a boggy slog right now, particularly from Winterburn Reservoir.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Yorkshire Dales conditions – route advice please’ is closed to new replies.