Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Yorkshire Dales Bikepacking Routes
  • dalesjoe
    Free Member

So I’ve decided after years of thinking about it to finally make 2015 the year I start doing the odd over-nighter. Does anyone have any route ideas/GPX routes they could share for nice starter routes up here in the Yorkshire Dales? Preferably the southern end.

Also, Alpkit Vs Wildcat luggage? Any preference?

Cheers!

whitestone
    Free Member

What sort of distance and where (roughly) are you starting from? There’d be different suggestions for Settle or Skipton for example.

My suggestions would be to: keep the first ride or two short while you sort your systems out – if it all goes wrong you can get home easily. Have a look on a map for a suitable overnight location, reasonably sheltered, away from habitation, near a water supply. Alternatively go for a ride and make notes of any you find.

dalesjoe
    Free Member

I’d be starting from Skipton. Distance wise I’m thinking of starting short and building it up as I’m not sure how the extra weight will affect me! I’ll happily do 30 miles normally but probably best to reduce this at first like you said. I was thinking of something along the lines of the Settle Loop but starting from Skipton, up Mastiles etc. Or maybe to Grassington & up the old mining tracks from Hebden. Its more choosing a decent overnight spot that’s close to decent water & away from the main walking groups/game keepers!

martinhutch

My recommendation is to aim for the head of Crummackdale for the wildcamp. There’s a lovely spot with awesome views next to a spring which is perfect. It even has a structure you could string your tarp up to. I can give you an OS ref if you need one.

Basic route is Sharp Haw – Hetton – Weets Top – Mastiles – Malham Tarn – Langcliffe Gate – Stainforth – road to Wharfe – straight up the Dale. About 27 miles. Take it steady and you should manage that fine.

There’s even a really nice pub in Austwick for a meal before heading up the Dale to sleep.

After that you can head over towards Horton for Breakfast, and back via Helwith Bridge – Malham Tarn – Mastiles – Boss Moor – Threshfield etc.

whitestone
    Free Member

I think I know where Martin’s spot is. 😀

As discussed on another thread the Sharp Haw to Hetton BW will be very boggy ATM.

I’m sure you can find somewhere close to Skipton that you can use to test things out: get there late and leave early and you are unlikely to catch anyone’s attention.

dalesjoe
    Free Member

That route sounds fantastic, thanks for that. I’ve ridden most parts of that on various separate rides so it should be fine. I’ve had a quick look at the OS map and have narrowed down a couple of bivi spots in Crummackdale but if you could give me the grid ref that would be great! I’ll look forward to trying that one out in the Spring after a quick over-nighter closer to home to test everything out.

Last time I slept out was back in my student days 10 years ago on the side of Pen Y Fan in January using a bin bag as a Bivi. Woke up to about a foot of snow. Really looking forward to getting back into it!

martinhutch

I’m hoping he means later in the year…I tend to use the cheeky doubletrack round the side down to the farm, though he would have to dodge the miserable farmer and hoist his fully-laden bike over a gate.

Edit: Joe – it’s actually marked on the 1:25,000 at the head of Crummackdale – Moughton Whetstone Hole. It’s lovely water. As above, arrive late, leave early, you should be fine.

dalesjoe
    Free Member

Yep got it cheers. I suspected you meant that spot so that’s great, even managed to find some photos via google. Thanks again to you both, roll on spring/summer so I can put the plan into action!

whitestone
    Free Member

Your question about Alpkit/Wildcat:

Riders Cycle Centre in Skipton is a Wildcat dealer/reseller so you can have a look at it there.

MadBillMcMad

as an alternative for a seat bag check out on ebay item no:271776163585

No idea what the quality or provenance is.
    Not decided whether to get this ceaper option or alpkit/wildcat

dalesjoe
    Free Member

I had a ride up Crummack Dale, the other day, have to say it’s a gorgeous bivi spot. Had a look around on the ridge above too, around the grouse butts. Some promising spots up there with stunning views over PYG etc.

Almost collected the gear together now ready for the maiden trip in the next few weeks hopefully. Just need the frame bags now, Bill, did you try those eBay bags?

Any other bivi spot suggestions? I was thinking a spot near the Ford on Mastiles would be good. Near the roman camp. Quite enjoying trawling over the maps!

whitestone
    Free Member

I think anywhere that has shelter from the wind and water nearby will do. Helps if it’s out of sight of any roads in case you attract attention to yourself. Also it’s heading towards lambing time so if the field is full of sheep and lambs you may have a very early visit from the farmer!

martinhutch

Any other bivi spot suggestions? I was thinking a spot near the Ford on Mastiles would be good. Near the roman camp. Quite enjoying trawling over the maps!

Personally wouldn’t drink the water in that stream unless it was filtered. There are farmed pastures nearby that definitely get muck spread on them fairly regularly. Probably just me being paranoid. There are some fresh springs near the outlet of Malham Tarn, but it’s a bit busier there obviously.

Have you settled on a route yet?

dalesjoe
    Free Member

Yes, was going to give your suggested route a go. Having checked out the bivi spot gives me a bit of confidence too with it being the first outing. Roughly how long did it take you to ride there from skipton? Just dont want to arrive too early.

Good point re the water & lambing. I’d like to find a spot around Malham Cove but as you said it’s a bit busy. I gave Stu a bell down at the RCC but not stocking wildcat gear yet.

sandwicheater

Bookmarked.

martinhutch

Unladen from my front door, good conditions, and knowing the route well – about 3.5-4 hours to the head of Crummackdale I’d say. No more than about 2 hrs to your spot on Mastiles. Don’t know how relevant that is to you going at a leisurely pace with Bivi gear, but I don’t see it as being a more than a half-dayer.

If you don’t fancy going that far, have a peep at the area around Attermire Scar just east of Settle. There are a lot of springs marked on the map there, and it is a very pretty spot if you tuck yourself away up near Victoria Cave, arrive late, leave early etc. Also allows you to descend Stockdale Lane, which is a fun bonus.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Yorkshire Dales Bikepacking Routes’ is closed to new replies.