Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • York cyclist shaming commuters.
  • woodsa
    Free Member

Forgive me if this has already been discussed but I thought it made for quite an interesting film.
    Especially the dufus taking his coat off no handed.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/angry-cyclist-films-law-flouting-and-dangerous-antics-of-fellow-bikers-125653639.html#F211GBG

johnners
    Free Member

I forgive you.

woodsa
    Free Member

For everything?

johnners
    Free Member

Just for posting the link to start with.
    Post up a list of all the other bad things you’ve done and I’ll go through it and let you know.

peachos
    Free Member

what a sad b*****d! worth watching for the last rider though…

jekkyl

it has been done before 2 days ago, I love the guy puffing a pipe going the wrong way.

seosamh77
    Free Member

what a knob, but the guy with the jacket going over the bars is hilarious! 😀 so I can forgive the rest of the bawhummery! :mrgreen:

woodsa
    Free Member

I’m sorry, for habitual forum users it must be awfully fustrating to to have to endure something twice. I will of course flail myself (during my lunch break).

Bad things. Hmm.

I once gathered some wood from the garden and built a camp fire in my bedroom when I young.

I lie about my shoe size, I say I’m an 8 (I’m really a 7.5)

I disagree with claims that I’m competitive. When secretly I am, a bit.

I sometimes laugh raucously at friends falling off their bikes, before asking the obligatory ‘are you all right mate’.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I can’t understand people who do this. What exactly are they highlighting? What good will come of it? I know all those roads very well – my side of York where I grew up. York town centre is full of pedestrian one-way streets and cyclists ride them whichever way they want. Its not a new thing by any means.

Worth watching for the guy eating the road at the end. Wonder how long it took to scrape his face off the tarmac? Thats a pretty major junction as well – wrong time (if theres a right one) to be taking your jacket off whilst doing a no-hander in the middle of the road.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I think he’s highlighting that people in hoodies and jeans also use bikes and couldn’t give a flip what someone dressed in fluorescent gloves with a camera on his helmet thinks about them cycling to their mates house on the pavement.

Most of them seem to be improvising to compensate for badly designed road systems and traffic light phasing. Nothing wrong with that.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Ah yes, the hoodies on the pavement. One of them is riding towards Kingsway… If he’d have told him to get off the pavement he’d have been stabbed and killed to death.

cookeaa

Who Actually cares any more?

Really?

I mean disproportionately angry, Helmet-cam wielding dicks have essentially made YouTube their own these days, is there anything else on there?

Apparently everyone else on the road is shite! Shite at driving, cycling, walking, even Shite at standing still without raising the hackles of some, Pompous, Altura-clad, ****…

If anything its counter-productive, the average motorist sees that Go-Pro on your Head as a clear sign that you’re a bolshie, uncooperative arse looking for “targets” to shame, and TBH I think in a lot of cases they’re right.

I might start recording my commute just so I can stick up an hour long video where there is no drama and nobody tries to kill me or offends my cycling sensibilities. Or not…

seosamh77
    Free Member

I saw the polis kicking about on the pavements up here yesterday, as I do very regularly, wonder if he would have said anything to them! 😀 The polis never say anything to me when they see me on pavements.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Who Actually cares any more?

980 people according to the number of comments posted on the Daily Hate version of this video. Watched a bit and it looked pretty lame to me but its all grist to the anti-cycling mill.

bigyinn
    Free Member

The OTB at the end is priceless. Other than that, who cares?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Most of them seem to be improvising to compensate for badly designed road systems and traffic light phasing. Nothing wrong with that.

Considering at least half the road systems where built 100’s of years ago there’s not much you can do other than alternate the flow of traffic through a small gap. Jumping the red in many of the points in York puts you in a situation where you are trying to fit through a gap not much wider than car with a vehicle coming the other way.

There are plenty of filtering systems in place where cyclists either go to the left of a set of lights or like Monk bar have their own traffic lights.

I’ve ridden in a fair few cities in the UK and York has probably the best facilities shame this video does really show it.

I didn’t watch the whole film as it was getting a bit dull and repetitive.
    Most of the riders seemed to be taking advantage of that brief pause when both lights are at red. The bit where there should be a separate filter light for bikes.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

When I was at college, I’d pick up a Park & Ride bus at the first junction on that video, slip stream it all the way into town and then pick up another going out up Taddy Road to college. Those were the days…

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I didn’t watch the whole film as it was getting a bit dull and repetitive.

Yep, its a bit ****

Most of the riders seemed to be taking advantage of that brief pause when both lights are at red. The bit where there should be a separate filter light for bikes.

Yes more needs to be done on that, especially on the traffic lights away from the gates.

Here is one of the gates that works well: Monk Bar.

Link

Cyclists are able to advance past the red light through the hole on the left and be head of the traffic and away from incoming traffic. Other gates have this option and it makes a huge difference.

The junction early on where people jump the lights to go round a sharp right hander is a nightmare. The Lights are set a distance round the corner so it takes traffic a while to get to the corner. When they do and are turning left they will be heading head on with anyone who has jumped the lights, Again down to the narrow old streets.

The majority of the newer junctions in York (Foss Islands area) is a nightmare (built in the late 90’s) and does really put you in some awful positions with muliple lanes and faster traffic. Its a shame his video didn’t show this area at all and highlight the seriously troublesome areas of York.

In my experience the area of York within the walls is a very pleasant place to ride open plan, no traffic and plenty of bike parking. There are also plenty of riverside bike paths to the center and it all has a nice feel about it (except when its rammed with shoppers). This guy filming the video is the only person I have ever know to have any issues.

nealglover
    Free Member

Ah yes, the hoodies on the pavement. One of them is riding towards Kingsway… If he’d have told him to get off the pavement he’d have been stabbed and killed to death.

Quite right.

Although I do believe it’s been renamed “Burton Green”

Which obviously solved all it’s problems instantly :mrgreen:

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Oh aye, it has hasn’t it. Problem solved 🙂

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Does just show that there are as many crap cyclist as crap car drivers.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

I like this one better

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V83XKkVYZ-I[/video]

handyandy
    Free Member

I love the way he calls him a nob as he rides off. . .

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘York cyclist shaming commuters.’ is closed to new replies.