Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Yoga book or dvd recommendation please.
  • mikey3
    Free Member

I want to try yoga as the first step to stopping me going insane! ,and was wondering if anyone has used a book or dvd suitable for a beginner they could recommend,there are so many of them out there and I don’t know which one to try thanks

brooess
    Free Member

I did it for a while a couple of years ago – it’s great. But I would recommend going to a class so you can get taught, rather than self-teaching. Everyone has to start somewhere and every class I went to had mixed ability. It was great after a couple of months where I started to be able to do stuff I couldn’t when I first started

jambalaya
    Free Member

IMO the best way is to go to a beginners class. Once you have the basic moves (poses) and understand the breathing you can work out (practice) at home, I was in the habit of doing daily sun salutations which was great (sadly have got a bit lazy). There are plenty of videos online to guide you also. There are various types of yoga I think it’s best to start with a basic one like Hatha or Vinyasa, indeed you may find you never want for anything else. Ashtana is quite popular with us blokes as we like to leap about a bit. I tried Bikram (or hot) once it was a nightmare ! Yoga is about more than just the physical excersize, the semi meditative part is very uplifting and cleansing – just gets the daily rubbish out of your head,

Namaste.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Simply Yoga Book and DVD by Yolanda Pettinato.

MSP

Ryan Leech yoga for cyclists, if you get past his hippy drawl are pretty good (unlike jambalaya I find the “semi meditative part” rather irritating).

http://www.ryanleech.com/tag/yoga/

beiciwr64
    Free Member

Ashtanga
    Book
    DVD

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu9Sq1RvuoA[/video]

mikey3
    Free Member

thanks guys ,some good help here.

olddog

Class definitely – it’s really hard to know if you ate doing the poses correctly without someone putting you right. My teacher gives out (for free) home training programmes for us to practice as well and I have a yoga guided meditation CD.

But it is brilliant – I can’t recommend enough

jambourgie
    Free Member

As others have said; start a class definitely. It’ll give you the discipline and the knowledge to get the best out of it. Later on when ‘it clicks’ you can do more at home/in the garden or whatever.

I practise at home now, but only because my local class moved away. I’ve got a few books on yoga, but I think this one is my faveourite…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Yoga book or dvd recommendation please.’ is closed to new replies.