Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Yoga – best done warm or cold?
  • brooess
    Free Member

Generally for exercise I warm up by starting off gently and upping the intensity as I go. I stretch after exercise but not before, partly because current recommendation as I understand it is not to stretch cold, you risk injuring yourself.

Recently I’ve been doing the sun salutation first thing in the morning, as soon as I get out of bed as a way to start the day well and put myself in a positive frame of mind. It does seem to have helped improve my flexibility.

Only prob with this is I’m not warmed up, and compared to when I do the sun salutation after a bike ride, for instance, I’m nothing like as flexible.

So do the principles of warming up stand for yoga as well as other exercise? Problem I have here is there’s not time to warm up AND do my yoga before my day starts…

Anyone here experienced in yoga got any thoughts?
    Cheers

souldrummer
    Free Member

Certainly when I did yoga we warmed up gently and then went for the bigger postures. I don’t think we ever did the sun salutation from cold, even on a warm day, if you get my drift. I would imagine it can be done straight out of bed but some parts of it might not be quite so ‘deep’ with cold muscles. Could you not do a couple of extra asanas before the sun salutations just to give the muscles a bit of a stretch?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Yoga – best done warm or cold?’ is closed to new replies.