Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • YOGA – Anyone do?
  • Mooly
    Free Member

So does anyone do yoga. I have started the last few weeks and find it incredibly challenging.

wallop

Sorted my back problem out! Stretching the backs of the legs is sooooooo important if you ride a bike.

ivantate
    Free Member

I need to start. Was going to find and app to help me out. Saving paper and buring electricity.

thomthumb
    Free Member

yep. i love it. great for keeping dodgy knees in check and highlighting what needs more flexibility.

people take the piss; especially the fat guys who go to the spinning class after. 🙄

DrP

I got an app for the iPad – £2.99 but quite pleasant to follow. I don’t half ache though, when doing it!

DrP

tails
    Free Member

I tried it but the video went too fast and my local gym charge £5 a go despite me having their gold membership. Would love to get good at it.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

It’s the shizz
    Compliments MTBing well I reckon, balance & flexibility

zippykona

I think its essential for bikers.
    If only she wouldn’t sit down grab her ankles and pull her legs apart directly in front of me. I nearly blush.

headfirst
    Free Member

So those who love it can you recommend a decent dvd that’s not too fast and not too slow – don’t fancy an app as I don’t have an iPad. Classes are thin on the ground round these parts (Huddersfield).

zippykona

I can’t see how a DVD us any good as you need to someone to point out that you are doing it all wrong.

Mooly
    Free Member

Interesting comments. I have only just started and find it massively helpful to have an instructor point out my many faults in posture and terrible flexibility.(In a nice way though).
    Its also really good to have someone link all the moves together in sequences.
    If there is a good DVD then happy days but I think I`ll stick with the class to start, at least until I get a bit more competent.

headfirst
    Free Member

zippy: I knew someone would say that! The wife and I tried Yoga on holiday a while back and loved it, have bought a couple of dvd’s which weren’t much cop and not found a regular class anywhere… 🙁

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I go at least twice a week and love it.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Can only fit in a class once/week but do a daily home practice on other days.
    Really wouldn’t recommend working from a book/vid/app as a beginner as even small changes to body position can make a big difference.

Keva
    Free Member

yes. three times a week now with a personal training session once every two weeks. Do more yoga than xc mountain biking these days.

Ours is Satria, Indonesian yoga derived from the combat art Silat, very dynamic for yoga. Incredibly demanding.

bam74
    Free Member

http://www.roughrideguide.co.uk/Yoga-for-Cyclists.html

I bought this one a few months ago. Its pretty good and features two routines. One for days off the bike and one for on it. Each one only takes about half an hour so no excuse not to do them.

damo2576
    Free Member

All the Gaaim DVDs are good, esp Rodney Yee ones IMO, the Power Yoga and Core ones I’d recommend.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i bought a recomended surfing one in the winter, i was doing spinervals most nights at the time and thought how hard can it be… blinkin’ heck i struggled to do the warm up let alone any of the sets.

biggest prob i found was trying to do the stuff whilst watching the dvd. a class would be much better.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i used to…

i’m very inflexible, i din’t really notice any improvement despite being in agony for about an hour, twice a week, for about a year.

but i did enjoy the sense of calm i was left with afterwards.

then i found i could get the same calm from swimming – so it was out with the yoga mat, and in with the speedos!

RichPenny
    Free Member

Yes, currently once a week in a class and a little extra from poses learnt from a 1-1 session. It is inspiring watching someone twice your age wrap themselves in knots. Mine is low impact, much better for my back issues which have seen a marked improvement since starting. My teacher is very good and adjusts the pose for those of who struggle so improvement is possible. Those little (or big!) tweaks help me to understand the dynamics of a pose, I’m not sure you’d get the same benefit from a DVD. It also helps to see other people in the class, in that there is a range of abilities.

brooess
    Free Member

Did it for a few months last year.
    Loved the sense of calm afterwards
    But went back to my old core and flexibility regime which just works better for me.
    Helped posture and general strength no end.
    Give it a go and if you enjoy it, carry on

sweepy
    Free Member
    allmountainventure
    Free Member

Yes, also Mrs AMV teaches it. Its good stuff.

The Lea Bracknell DVD, is pretty good for beginner level but one or two classes are also a good idea to get the form right.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Leah-Bracknell-Yoga-And-You/dp/B0000YHKDG

Its Hatha yoga so more relaxing than Ashtanga.

All the Shiva Rea stuff Ive seen is also very good but more advanced.

http://shivarea.com/online-store

Xar
    Free Member

I’ve been thinking about yoga for a while, our local gym does yoga and Pilates classes any idea what would be better for an over weight IT man? Or is it a how longs a piece of string question? Failing that whats the main differences please?

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

my dvd is a shiva rea one, she beasted me harder than coach troy. beware, she will hurt you.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘YOGA – Anyone do?’ is closed to new replies.