Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • YHAs that don't require sleeping bags
  • Ewan
    Free Member

Hi all,

Random question – we’re planning on doing a 4 day point to point in the Cairngorns this year. Ideally don’t want to carry to much stuff – anyone know of any bunk houses in Blair Atholl, Kingussie, Tomitoul and Braemar that don’t require sleeping bags?

Alternatively does anyone know if there is a luggage porting service that operates in the cairngorns for cyclists / walkers?

toab
    Free Member

I’ve never known any YHA require you to bing a sleeping bag – they either lend you proper duvet cover etc. or they have kind of cotton bag with a pocket for a pillow at the top, and then a duvet to go over the top.

allyharp

I know of two that require sleeping bags – Loch Ossian and Glen Affric, but I think they are very much in the minority.

As for the question, I’m quite sure there is no bunkhouse/hostel in Blair Atholl but there is at least one hotel.

BigJohn

The Hawkshead one gave you a sheet, pillowcase, duvet & duvet cover when I was there in December.

Bit of a pain having to make your own bed, then strip it at the end but otherwise very comfortable & warm.

Ewan
    Free Member

Good stuff – anyone know a portage service?

ElShalimo

from memory…. most YHA will not let you use your own sleeping bag as they are paranoid about bed bugs getting into the mattresses from people’s sleeping bags. The hut guardian told me t’other year.
    That’s why they give you those stupid sleep sheet thingies that protect you from little nasties but ensure that you perish if there is a fire.
    😳

McHamish
    Free Member

I thought YHAs provided bedding…the one halfway between Winchester and Eastbourne on the SDW provided bedding.

speaker2animals

Don’t confuse SYHA and YHA England and Wales. Separate organisations so what applies at YHA hostels won’t necessarily in Scotland.

Is it really a pain to set up/strip down a single person bunk bed? If that’s a lot of effort how on earth do you manage to ride a bike?

STATO
    Free Member

its a pain when your trying to sleep and somebody is up at 5.30 making loads of noise puling the sheets off the bunk above you. Ditto if you arrive late trying to fit them in the dark without annoying fellow dorm users.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

If you amend your route a little Aviemore Bunkhouse has bedding. Stayed there a couple of times before. A bunkhouse in Braemar did as well – think it was called Rucksacks.

tartanscarf

Most hostels/bunkhouses now supply bedding although it’s always best to check. As well as not confusing the SYHA with the YHA don’t confuse either with independent hostels. These are generally independently owned and run, like us, as opposed to being centrally owned and run. http://Www.hostel-Scotland.co.uk for more info.

TSScottis Independent hostels

tartanscarf

Oops!

Ewan
    Free Member

Nice one – i’ll do a bit more research.

PS. I’m more than happy to strip down beadding and make a bed up – I just don’t want to carry it all!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Slightly out of the way but YHA at Perranporth doesn’t require sleeping bags.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘YHAs that don't require sleeping bags’ is closed to new replies.