Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Yew – Anyone into wood turning/archery?
  • FFJA
    Free Member

Evening,
    Bit random but having done a serious renovation job on the 100 odd year old yews in my garden I’ve ended up with a load of very straight poles about 10-12 foot long and upto 6 inch diameter. Any STW wood turner types or long bow making folk want them? In swaledale if anyone’s remotely interested before I burn them!

daftvader
    Free Member

Bugger…. too far away and otherwise I’d have a load. Advertise them? http://www.archeryinterchange.com/

CountZero

It might be worth doing a Google for bowyers and archery clubs, and put some messages around. English Yew in those sort of sizes isn’t commonly available, and is really too good to just burn. I’d imagine there would be a number of people around the country who’d be keen to get hold of it.
    There’s an archery club here in Chippenham, I’ll check out their website, and put a note up, see if anyone is interested, or knows anyone.
    Longbows are still very popular in archery, and reenactment circles.

FFJA
    Free Member

Cheers chaps will try a google and a note on that site and see if anyone wants them! Seems a shame to just burn them if someone can make use of them.

colournoise

Might be worth getting in touch with “James Farrar Botn East” on Facebook. Makes all sorts of traditional bows and stuff. Top bloke (I used to shoot with him until bikes took over again from bows).

thehustler
    Free Member

I have a m8 who’s into traditional longbow archery I’ll email him this thread

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

For a long bow you need a cross section of heartwood and sapwood. They behave differently under tension and compression but formed correctly the bow works. Imagine a cross section through the trunk, bow staves are cut to incorporate the two woods.

daftvader
    Free Member

give this chap a shout, he made my longbow and is a thoroughly nice bloke… pete@bakewellbows.co.uk

epicyclo

Best to burn them.

We Scots remember the use you English chaps had for long bits of yew last time we were independent…. 🙂

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Ooh, I’ll ask around – i know several people around your area who are medievalists & archers.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Epicyclo – that’s because you listened to your French paymasters & put your faith in pikemen, but without understanding pikemen needed handgun & short arms close support 😛

CountZero
    FFJA
    Free Member

Thanks for all the suggestions folks! 🙂

woodsman
    Free Member

I would have had some from you if I were nearer – much nearer (Sussex). For furniture restoration. Too good to burn, Ebay will see it go to a good home, lots of folk sell fresh cut Yew in log form, have a look under Yew Timber- doesn’t make a fortune perhaps a tenner a log if the end grain looks workable.

Don’t burn it if you can possibly avoid it, such a waste!

CountZero

Ok, if it’s still available, the girl I work with who’s an archer says her husband is interested. If it’s still with you, I’ll forward this thread, and they can get in touch, alright?

FFJA
    Free Member

Yep no problem mate, email is in profile if they want it. Cheers!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Yew – Anyone into wood turning/archery?’ is closed to new replies.