Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Yeti Frame Warranty, is it a joke?
  • vinny666
    Free Member

Do Yeti really think people are going to pay £5000+ for the new ASR-C when it only comes with a 2 year warranty? I have a 3 year old ASR5c which still looks like new, but that is because I am on my third front triangle and my second rear triangle. Luckily for me I have a 5 year warranty on the frame. I really love my bike but would never consider buying another Yeti if it only comes with 24 months cover. Seems to me that they have little faith in their own products. Have other manufactures started doing the same with their warranties?

njee20
    Free Member

Do Yeti really think people are going to pay £5000+ for the new ASR-C when it only comes with a 2 year warranty?

Yes, and people will. Stupid to think otherwise. The bike price is hardly relevant to the frame warranty anyway.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I am amazed bike frames have any warranty. With so many good frames for sub £1,500 I don’t see why anyone would pay £5,000

Stevet1
    Free Member

5k is for a full bike yeah?

bigjim

I’m amazed that anyone would warranty a frame for 5 years to be honest!

my 3.5 year old ASR5 is just fine though.

njee20
    Free Member

5k is for a full bike yeah?

Yep.

pinetree
    Free Member

Do Yeti really think people are going to pay £5000+ for the new ASR-C when it only comes with a 2 year warranty?

You’d have a point if you were right. The new models have a 5 year warranty.

http://yeticycles.com/#/bikes/asrc

What is the warranty on my ASRC?

The ASRC has a 5-year manufacturers warranty

jimjam
    Free Member

A warranty is only as good as the distributor or manufacturer dealing with it.

wrecker
    Free Member

Yes, and people will. Stupid

Quite. 😀

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I am amazed bike frames have any warranty. With so many good frames for sub £1,500 I don’t see why anyone would pay £5,000

There’s that too.

It may well be better than an On-One/Titus, but £3k better?

Warrenty is irelavent, the market that buys bikes for £5k probably buys a new bike at least every 2 years so won;t be fussed.

You don’t have to be poor or middle class to be a cyclist, there’ll be rich people too. If they weren’t into MTB’ing they’d be yacht racing, or motorsport.

Having said that, £5k, over £5 years, for an XC/trail bike doesn’t seem so bad if it’s your only bike. No worse than someone who’s bought into several niches and ended up with an XC hardtail, a fat bike, a road bike, a CX bike etc.

P20

The Swingarm on my old 575 failed 3 times in just over 5yrs, so the final one was out of warranty. I replaced with an ASR5-C with only a two year warranty. So I guess your answer is yes, people will buy them. As above though, they now have 5yrs again

rumple
    Free Member

get a mondraker with a life time front end and 2 year rear.

ninfan
    Free Member

Why would a frame manufacturer want you to keep using your frame for more than two years?

You’re supposed to buy a new one every year, after more than two the frame will not function because components in the international standards used two years ago are no longer being manufactured.

jimjam
    Free Member

ninfan – Member

Why would a frame manufacturer want you to keep using your frame for more than two years?

You’re supposed to buy a new one every year, after more than two the frame will not function because components in the international standards used two years ago are no longer being manufactured.

It’s a selling point to give you confidence in your prospective purchase.

Northwind

Yeah, to a lot of people a short warranty just says “we don’t trust our frame to last very long”. That’s probably not fair but it’s not an unreasonable jump to make.

jimjam
    Free Member

Northwind

Yeah, to a lot of people a short warranty just says “we don’t trust our frame to last very long”. That’s probably not fair but it’s not an unreasonable jump to make.

It’s a question every other person buying a bike asks. A five year warranty will reassure most people, as I used to point out, in five years it’ll be so beat up you will want shot of it, or will have sold it. More people in my experience seemed concerned about the warranty on components as opposed to the frame. On hearing it’s only a year most people were taken aback.

More or less irrelevant to me as I’ve stripped nearly everything off the last 4 bikes I’ve owned to put my stuff on there, so to me frame warranty is pretty much all that matters.

njee20
    Free Member

There’s that too.

It may well be better than an On-One/Titus, but £3k better?

Hardly unique to Yeti. It’s £2500 cheaper than an S-Works!

br
    Free Member

People pay thousands more for cars that have a one year warranty.

And this:

It’s a selling point to give you confidence in your prospective purchase.

Kia anyone?

jimjam
    Free Member

b r

Kia anyone?

No. No thanks. No really, I’m okay. I’m not 70 yet. And even then, no. Just……..no.

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Hey Guys

As stated above – The Warranty on all the new Yeti carbon frames is 5 years NOT 2 years.

Also as stated above – the warranty is only as good as the distributor. Well, I genuinely believe we offer some of the best customer service in the business so you’ll have no worries there either.

benji
    Free Member

Kia anyone?

Yes please, they are actually much improved over there offerings of old. It’s just got to shrug of the stigmatism the same as Skoda had to do, it’s not long ago where jokes of what do you call a convertible skoda? A skip.

I’m safe in the comforting thought that if any of my steel bikes break, they can be repaired, so a warranty isn’t really a thought.

stewartc
    Free Member

the warranty is only as good as the distributor

This, cracked my SB66c top tube earlier in the year, my fault, and the distributor did a good job getting me a crash replacement and even replacing the rear triangle to ensure the color scheme matched.

Sadly it took so long to do as they had to haggle with Yeti that I went off and bought a Mach6 in the meantime.

moshimonster
    Free Member

Warrenty is irelavent, the market that buys bikes for £5k probably buys a new bike at least every 2 years so won;t be fussed.

What? If anything you’re more likely to keep your £5K bike for the long haul. That’s what I tend to do anyway. It’s the cheap stuff I tend to view as disposable.

When I was looking at £5K bikes recently, a decent warranty was high on my list.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Noticed Orange has upped theirs to five years.

Trekster

Got a Kia 😆
    Wouldn’t/couldn’t buy a Yeti 😉
    Know people who have and like them 😆
    Some of those people have had various breakages, some got rid, some didn’t….
    My Kona is 10yrs old, no breakages 😆

vinny666
    Free Member

It’ good to hear that the warranty is 5 years again, but richie you might want to update the FAQ’s on your website as they still state that Yeti only offer a two year warranty

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

How’s the mach 6 compared to the yeti sb66?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What? If anything you’re more likely to keep your £5K bike for the long haul. That’s what I tend to do anyway. It’s the cheap stuff I tend to view as disposable.

spose it depends on how you afford it. If you afford it by saving for 5 years or taking out a wackload of credit to cover it then yo’ll probably want more milage from it. If you buy it because you have £5k disposable in a year to spend on s bike then you’ll replace it as soon as something better comes allong ss you’ll always have that money floating arround, same way an average middle class person probably looks at a 45650b or fatty, buy it, ride it, not really care about the residual value or warrenty.

Would be interesting to know what proportion of top end bikes are on credit Vs cash. And how many of those cash buyers are in the LBS every spring buying a new bike.

boltonjon

Big selling point when i spent some big money on a really nice bike was the length of the warranty and if the warranty is transferable

I’d never buy a 2nd hand frame without some sort of manufacturers warranty – bikes break

However, i’ve broken a few – but to be fair – they were early bonded Dyna-Techs and 2011 Lappieres

Not broken anything since getting rid of them!

scotroutes

What manufacturers have you found that will transfer a warranty. I can think of one that does it (for a charge).

takisawa2

Was looking at buying a mates SB66, but a search on “cracked Yeti SB66 swing arm” put paid to that idea. 😐

boltonjon

Big selling point when i spent some big money on a really nice bike was the length of the warranty and if the warranty is transferable

I’d never buy a 2nd hand frame without some sort of manufacturers warranty – bikes break

However, i’ve broken a few – but to be fair – they were early bonded Dyna-Techs and 2011 Lappieres

Not broken anything since getting rid of them! 😀

deadkenny
    Free Member

You technically have a 6 year warranty under UK law no matter what they say. However reality is that you have to prove it was an inherent fault in the product and generally after a long time it’s hard to prove, and probably involves going to court to fight it. Plus it doesn’t give you a full refund or replacement, it takes into account how much you’ve used it.

Still, it’s something you can use to fight your case if you really feel it’s a product failure.

Cracked frames though aren’t a pure guarantee of product failure. Frames crack. Stack it in any way and it can be argued something was damaged by yourself even if the crack appears years later, and trying to argue a frame should survive any crash, well, good luck with that.

deadkenny
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member
    What manufacturers have you found that will transfer a warranty. I can think of one that does it (for a charge).

Bird http://shop.birdmtb.com/warranty

scotroutes

Bird http://shop.birdmtb.com/warranty
    [/quote]Van Nicholas makes two.

Any more?

khani
    Free Member

Turner

Turner will repair or replace any Turner frame, Only if we determine it to be defective due to materials and /or workmanship. This 2 year warranty applies to the frameset Only (not including suspension components), ridden under normal conditions, properly maintained and is transferable to subsequent owners with original sales receipt.

Turner Bikes will make replacement parts available at a minimum charge in the event of a crash or other non- warranty situation. This replacement policy is good for all frames including those who have purchased their frames new or used.

And they have a rep for going above and beyond well out of the two years as I can testify to…

Nikolai

The warranty on all Nicolai frames is five years from purchase. Unlike many other warranties ours is valid even under race use and it resides with the frame and not the owner – it transfers if you sell the frame on (though the new owner will need the original sales receipt

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Liteville warranty is five years, transferable, and includes DH and race use.

bigrich

but yeti offer a 5 year warranty – you’re wrong OP. I think you should retract.

The ASRC has a 5-year manufacturers warranty.

boltonjon

Yep – Liteville – the reason I bought one

Susie
    Free Member

I owned a Niner Air 9 that broke after a year and my partner had one that broke just outside the warranty. I wanted a full suspension bike and really liked the look of the RIP9, but after our experience and the fact that they only offer a 2 year warranty on them, I went with a SC Tallboy instead. I don’t think I’d buy an expensive bike that only had a 2 year warranty, especially if they have a reputation for breaking.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Yeti Frame Warranty, is it a joke?’ is closed to new replies.