Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Yeti ASR5 sizing?
  • fattatlasses
    Free Member

Just wondered if there are any ASR5 owners on here – if so, could you let me know how you find Yeti’s sizing please.

FWIW, I’m 6′ tall with 34″ inseam, which according to the Yeti website puts me on a large frame. However, last week I demo’d a medium and, although it felt quite compact, it wasn’t uncomfortable (the top tube and reach felt similar to my OH’s 18″ Orange Five).

Any other feedback on the ASR5 would be most welcome.
    Cheers.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

cant speak for the 5, but if its anything like the ASR7 yeti’s size recommendations are totally whack. I came VERY close to buying a 7, and after much research would have bought a small. I’m 5’10, yeti reckon a small accommodates something like 5’4″ to 5’8 but the numbers (17.7″ seat, 22.5″ top tube) put their small closer to if not slightly bigger than a medium Santa Cruz for example (and I was looking for a replacement for a medium SC Nomad with which I was happy with the fit).

I’d bin yeti’s advice and compare dimensions with what you ride now/what fits you.

meesterbond

I’m 5’10 with a 32″ inseam (or thereabouts) and a medium w/ 90mm stem and an inline post felt fine on a 2 1/2 ride on an ASR5c

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Everything I’ve read about Yetis sizing is odd. Small 575 is bigger than a medium Blur LT (I think).

fattatlasses
    Free Member

Ta for feedback. Good to know Yeti’s sizing guide is a bit off. The demo bike I tried had an inline post and 80mm stem, and it felt pretty good – very compact, but still comfortable.

Only slightly odd thing is that the bike seemed very sensitive to shifts in body weight with the ProPedal off – anyone else noticed this?

runswithscissors

I’m 5’11” and 34″ inseam and have a medium ASR5, inline post and 80mm stem and it is pretty much perfect for me, don’t notice the body weight shift thing, maybe the shock wasn’t quite set up right for your weight on the demo? You will notice that your legs appear to take on a life of their own tho it’s impossible not to pedal the thing till your lungs burst on evey ride…….

jad
    Free Member

I’ve a medium which is longer than normal in seat tube length than other medium frames. However, it still has a lot of standover due to the frame shape. The reach is spot on.

I would prioritise the top tube length rather than the seat tube.

ricardo666
    Free Member

i demo’d the asr5 in small and medium, I am 5’5″ the small was great and plenty of room for shifting my backside round wereas the medium i felt uncormfortable on and restricted.

flyingfox
    Free Member

I’m 5’11” and our medium ASR-7 feels too big for me. Our ASR-5 demo bike felt way too small however so it would only ever be a a large for me. So the sizes don’t make a lot of sense to me.

I also had a Yeti ARC-X in large after the importer recommended it to me. It was so big I had to sell it!

sparkingchains
    Free Member

Yeti’s sizing is really odd. !’m 6.1 and I’d get a medium rather than a large. Compare yeti’s sizing chart to any other- Orange site or Santacruz’s ones etc and you’ll see that what Yeti call a med is what others would call a large.

Inless you want a big bike go a size down to what you normally would.

I once saw a large 7 and it looked like a monster truck!!

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

I’m 6ft2 with 32inch inseam. Riding a large witha 50mm stem. Pretty much spot on-good reach and plenty of standover.

nacho
    Free Member

No-one says how much they like (or not) their ASR-5’s – any feedback please? I am contemplating one as my next purchase (just gotta keep trying to save or wait for used ones to become available) and am interested on peoples thoughts. I currently ride a Lge SC Heckler and M Whyte 19 HT. Used to have a Whyte E5.

runswithscissors

@ Nacho, love mine it just feels so right, the first few rides I was not so sure but with a few tweaks it is now brilliant fun to ride, the acid test will be a week in the Alps in June but i’m sure it will handle it no problems…Downsides? I have been trying since I bought the thing in Feb to get hold of the bolt thru adapters for the rear but without luck, two dealers have ordered them for me and i’ve not heard a word from either and Bromley Bikes didn’t even bother to respond to my emails, v poor customer service.

richc
    Free Member

See here for my comments on my Girlfriends one: http://www.singletrackworld.com/reviews/yeti-asr-5/

She is 5’11” (and a bit apparently) with 34″ inside leg and she is on a Medium with a 70mm stem, and a slight layback post (KS i900r). Seems to fit well. Large would be far to big.

As for the ride, personally I am in the camp of the bike doesn’t matter that much, as it how much you ride that counts ….. However since getting this bike, she is significantly faster on the climbs (was out on the Quantocks last week, and at the end of the day she commented on how she hadn’t used, or needed the granny once) and is now fast enough to heckle people to go faster on the descents, who she was previously happy just to keep up with.

So the comments on, its a bike that will hurt you seem to be quite accurate. As it will kill you on the climbs by tearing your legs off, and kill you on the descents by encouraging you to go that little bit faster.

nacho
    Free Member

Thanks both, richc I ride at least 3x a week, a bit more in the summer although generally only 2 hour rides as I have 2 young children. Try to squeeze longer rides in during the summer when I can ( the odd day to Dartmoor/Afan/Quantocks)
    I don’t need another bike but want one 😉 and the ASR-5 seems to has really grabbed my attention.

richc
    Free Member

Where do you live? as if you are in or around Bristol you can have a sit on it for size, if my girlfriend agrees to let some stranger off the internet near her new bike 😉

nacho
    Free Member

Live near Exeter, thanks for the offer, my brother lives in Bristol so I am up there ocassionally. I can’t afford one for at least a few months yet, (unless a used one comes up then I might have to break into the savings when Mrs nacho isn’t looking)

fattatlasses
    Free Member

So the comments on, its a bike that will hurt you seem to be quite accurate. As it will kill you on the climbs by tearing your legs off, and kill you on the descents by encouraging you to go that little bit faster.

I can definately appreciate what you’re saying here – I found the demo bike I tried very entertaining and fast. Brilliant bike for nipping out for a quick blast on. However, this is part of the problem for me (if you can call it a problem 😀 ). I’ve got an Anthem X, which is mental fast, so I’m after a longer travel ‘calmer’ bike for bashing along Dark Peak terrain….something to compliment the Anthem X – if that makes sense?! (my wife’s got an Orange Five that I’ve borrowed, but I fancy something a little bit different – pref not a Zesty)

sordish
    Free Member

I am 5’11” and have a ASR5-C medium. Just traded in my 2008 575 as I wasn’t getting out to the downy rough stuff enough to make use of it. I absolutely love it and agree with the other reviews – it just feels right. Super stiff and responsive, climbs well and goes down too. Its weird how it just makes you ride faster and longer. Beautiful bike too – people in th estreet even point at it when its on my car roof ! As for the stem I’ve just traded 110 on Easton EC70 260mm for 90mm on Easton EC70 280mm bars and it does feel surprisingly different – still getting used to it but feels more responsive with more feedback – kinda more playful and sprightly if you know what I mean. BTW I have a slightly laid back post. Can’t recommend this bike enough. Worth the overdraft !

ruscle
    Free Member

I’m on a medium with 80mm stem, I also got the rear chip set and bolt throu from fteeflowbikes if people are struggling to get it. I also find that it is sensitive to weight shifts, but the bike is amazing and well worth the money.

LeeW

I’m on a medium with 80mm stem, I also got the rear chip set and bolt throu from fteeflowbikes if people are struggling to get it. I also find that it is sensitive to weight shifts, but the bike is amazing and well worth the money.

I’d help if you told us how tall you are?

ruscle
    Free Member

Sorry, I’m 5ft 10.5″ (every .5 counts!) With 34″ inside leg. Inline post but saddle back on its rails.

Superficial
    Free Member

tattatlasses – what did you decide?

I’m in exactly your position and I’d like to know what choice you made and whether you’re happy. I’m also 6′ with 33″ inseam (for trousers, anyway). I rode a Medium (from the Bike Tree in Sheffield) and it was brilliant fun but perhaps a tiny bit short. I think they were running a 70mm stem and inline post, though. I can’t find anywhere that has a Large as a demo bike.

Top tube 23.7 vs 24.7
    Seat tube 18.8 vs 19.9

As you can see, the large is a full inch longer, which makes it one of the longest ‘trail’ bikes you can buy. Whilst I have done the odd fun race (mountain mayhem) I’m definitely not after a ‘race’ bike, so I don’t particularly want a stretched out race position. I’ll be running 140mm forks (and hopefully a Reverb seatpost) with an emphasis on lairiness with some mild hooning. Searching online there is almost a 50/50 split on recommendations for a 6 footer. I’m 90% sure a large is still the one to go for, but I don’t want to lose too much of the playfulness of the demo bike I rode.

Any thoughts?

davetrave
    Free Member

Superficial,

I rode the medium test bike from The Biketree and ended up ordering a medium 5 Carbon with 10mm layback USE Sumo carbon post and a 70mm stem, although as I’m settling in to riding the bike I’m thinking about trying it with a 90mm from my other bike just to stretch it out a little more. But then I prefer a racier feel and am running DT XMM120 forks. 6 foot and 32 inch inseam by the way so a layback post may give you that extra little bit extra of reach you think you may need…

amphibian
    Free Member

Superficial – I’m 6’1″ and 33″ inseam. I ride a large ASR5 with an in-line post and 90mm stem and it feels absolutely spot on.

dowth
    Free Member

Has anyone considered trying different handle bar lengths as this will affect sizing as much as stem and layback?

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Yeti ASR5 sizing?’ is closed to new replies.