Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Yeti ASR5 size debate
  • stureid60
    Free Member

I’m 6’1″ and test rode a medium ASR5 last week, 70mm stem.
    Had an absolute blast and size felt ok, but is there anyone of a similar height out there riding a medium or large and keen to comment on their experience?

solman
    Free Member

I test rode on Saturday, it was a medium with 80mm stem, and I’m 6’1″. I also had a blast on it. Great bike, and have subsequently ordered a large frame.

The medium was too small for me, I had the seat right back on its rails. The LBS chaps also watched me ride in the car park and said it looked a tad short.

As it would be my only bike, I want something that’s good for both long and short rides.

S_J
    Free Member

I’ve got a 575 and am 6′ 1′ and ride a large. Although they come up slightly bigger the medium would be too small for me.

althepal

6 foot here on a large 575 with a 80mm stem. Sometimes feel its just at ouch long but think a medium might just be a touch too short.

chojin
    Free Member

The ASR5 and the 575 size up completely differently. The ASR5 comes up small (I’m 6ft and need a large), whereas the 575 comes up big (I’d need a medium).

davetrave
    Free Member

5′ 11″ and riding medium with a 70mm stem, spot on for riding techy stuff hard, you might find that set-up a bit on the short side in the long term TBH…

Kryton57

5’11 and 3/4 – Medium with 80mm Stem, saddle direct in the middle. (although I will be trying out a 90mm if CRC ever deliver my stuff).

Perfect for me – I could understand how the longer large would be good for more open riding, but I ride twisty woodsy single track 80& of the time.

FWIW I’ve ridden this all over the popular places in the country and in events and it always works out fine.

Just to add a potential comparision / spolier – I was lucky enough to get and Enigma Ego frame for my recent 40th. Now, the TT is the same as the Yeti but on Enigma’s advice based on my measurements I was gifted the 17.5 – not the 19.5. The 17.5 feels slightly “small” height wise – I’mm 10mm from the seat post minimum insertion. However, all the common meansurements above that – saddle to stem, rear of saddle to front of stem etc – are a direct mirror of the Yeti. The result – a jack russel type personality, which I love.

My point – if you were investing in the frame try it out first – the way it feels rather than the black and white logic of measurements (albeit they are important)can be influential. Its interesting to note that Solman is roughly the same size as me and davetrave but preffered the large.

Fishd

I’m 6’1″ with a large ASR-5, 50mm stem. Bike feels big to me (I used to ride 18″ hard tails) but good. Front end is a tad light on climbs so I’m tempted to move to a 60 / 65mm stem.

bigjim

6’4″ and 3/4 in the morning, on a Large with 100mm stem and 130mm forks, oh and 780mm bars. Feels pretty good, front end is pretty light on v steep climbs though. Quite keen to try a shorter stem.

ASR5 is a long old frame, 24.6 inches on the L, much longer than my L Trance was. I’d be interested in trying an XL out of curiosity but the L is so big I don’t think I would really want one.

P20

Iid imagine that you’d need a large. I’ve got an old 575 medium and looking at the sizing i’d go for the medium ASR5 (i’m thinking about it). I’m 5’8″ on a medium, inline post and 110mm stem. I do like my bike long though 😆

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

6ft1 on a large with 50mm stem too.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

I’ve been tempted by an ASR 5 since they were first released.

The sizing does bother me though. At 6ft the Yeti recommendation is a large frame but this is nearly a 20″ seat tube and 24.7″ effective top tube. This seems on paper to be to large for me. The medium seems to be sized more inline with my previous bike as far as I can tell.

Need to sort a demo out.

andrewh
    Free Member

5’11” and have a medium ASR-C with 90mm stem. Bang on for me (uncut seat mast with the clamp thingy at it’s lowest)

scruzer
    Free Member

5’10(plus shoes)medium, 80 mm stem, inline post (plenty showing) with rails middling and perfect. My old 575 2007 model is a tad bigger allround in medium.

stureid60
    Free Member

Top advice everyone, many thanks. Anyone know of any large demo ASR5s as near to Sheffield as possible?

Mal-ec
    Free Member

5’11” + change here with a medium, seat 3/4 of its way back on the rails, but 50mm stem + wide bars. Fine for up to 4 hours, but would want a longer stem if doing grindy epics. Great fun bike.

davetrave
    Free Member

The Biketree on Abbeydale Road have a medium, they may be able to get a large in from the distributor, they built up my black with red kit spangly ASR5C and the other one that’s been paraded a few times on here, in white with silver kit. I struggled to find places up north with a large when I was looking, it was either the Borders or Surrey way.

charliemort

6 foot large with 70 mm stem, 140mm forks, fine for me

Tried a medium with 90mm stem – Bike shop (Bromley bike) almost refused to sell me a medium! Headtube is a bit lower on medium, as well as shorter top tube, so you can get a bit crouched over. I could get away with a medium but large feels right to me – generally prefer a roomier fit though

jpatanio
    Free Member

I know I am bringing this back to life but I have fallen in love with my buddies asr. I have ridden his medium and I can’t tell if I should be in that size. I am 5’7 – 5’6″ and I know that should push me into a small but I wanted to see what other folks that are riding the bike thought. Thanks!

dan45a
    Free Member

jpatanio – I’m 5’8″ and on a medium asr5c with 50mm stem.. I find it quite generous for size compared to my previous medium sized trail bikes, a bit longer than my zesty medium.

I would want it any bigger.

jpatanio
    Free Member

Dan45-are you suggesting to go with the small?

dan45a
    Free Member

I couldn’t say for sure, as depends how you like your bikes to feel and the type of riding, for more technical trail riding the smaller would perhaps suit you better for more control but for more xc stuff the longer tt will be better for climbing.

You’ve got to try them out to get the answer. Is your mates bike an asr5 or an asr? As these are different.

The asr5 definitely comes up big or perhaps longer is more accurate. Cheers

jpatanio
    Free Member

So you are saying you need more information then the vague details that I have provided thus far. Sorry about that :). My buddies bike was indeed an ASR 5C (Medium). I was very impressed with the flickability, climbing and the overall feel. I did however feel like the reach from the seat to the bars was a bit long creating me to bend over a bit (I know I could get a shorter stem, I think his was an 80).

The type of riding that I do includes: Rock gardens, typical xc, climbing, aggressive descents, some jumping and drops, etc. I am starting to become a more aggrssive rider and the bike that I currently have is heavy and well I think too big for me. I recently rented an all mountain rocky mountain slayer 30 in BC and they sized me with a 16.5. I was very impressed with it but its a bit much for the typical terrain that I ride.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Yeti ASR5 size debate’ is closed to new replies.