Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Yeti asr 5 and XT grrrr
  • a17esh
    Free Member

hey guys.

Took my wheel off my yeti and the chain somehow got a twist – no idea how and spent some time trying to get ny head around this

So, link off and, undo twist and back we go. But now my chain is super slack…how? Well the X7 mech seemed to have a loose spring therefore not enought tension. So swapped the mech.

My XT mech on the smallest gear touches the bottom of the seat stay and the chain is still super slack.

It was completely fine before, no links have been taken out & length is correct accoring so several chain length guides.

Whats happend?

bikeneil
    Free Member

Whats happend?

You forgot to add photos.

a17esh
    Free Member

Sorry, – only way to upload a pic is a link, not attachment. Aghhh!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

tinypic.com will let you upload a pic and get a link.

NB if you copy the “Image code for message boards” you don’t need to use the IMG button above, just paste the code straight in as txt and it should work.

PS – I am pretty sure an ASR will be compatible with XT 😀

a17esh
    Free Member

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Man, flickr is a PITA. Hit the ‘Share’ arrow, pick up the code, then strip it back to only the (img)xxxxxxxxxx.xxx(/img) bit

Superficial
    Free Member

It looks as though you’ve put the mech on wrong. There’s a tab that locates into a notch on the mech hanger. That needs to be behind the notch.

It should look like this:
    (See the ‘b link plate’ attaches to the hanger and points in the 9 o’clock direction, yours is more like 6 o’clock.)

Did you change the shifter as well? You can’t just swap from a SRAM to Shimano derailleur, but I don’t think that’s your current issue.

roblane65
    Free Member

look like the mechs past the stop on the hanger !

a17esh
    Free Member

Thanks for the heads up on tiny pic. I’ll use that next time. Flicker was a pig to use.

Hope the pics help. Really odd issue I have. Built lots of bikes before – but this, what the heck lol.

somafunk

Can you move the mech pivot bot + plate further clockwise round on the dropout, there is often a tab on the dropout it should sit against.

a17esh
    Free Member

Let me have a look 🙂

somafunk

😀

Daffy

As above, the pivot plate should be in approximately the 9 o’clock position.

somafunk

It’s pretty immaterial what position the xt mech is in if he’s running sram shifters?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Yep.

Can we also clarify that you’re not trying to use XT with SRAM Pods?!

[unless it’s whatever the Shimano-compatible ones are called, “Attack” or something]

EDIT – oh thanks soma-aroma, way to ruin my post 😉

a17esh
    Free Member

Ooops. Well the mech sits lots better and isnt touching the frame.

I also have adjustment so take away the chain slack. Awesome!

Thanks guys! Not sure how i managed to mess that up..

a17esh
    Free Member

I am running sram shifters. It seems to be shifting fine.

Whats the crack, is this a no no?

somafunk

Different cable pull between sram vs shimano – are you sure the shifting is ok?

a17esh
    Free Member

Well its a little jumpy. But i just thought that might be down to it needing to be set up.

I have the correct shifter, was going to use it elsewhere.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Most SRAM pods pull a different amount of cable per click than Shimano spec. Usually this means it won’t work. SRAM used to make a line of pods that were compatible, IIRC called “Attack”

https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/products/sram-attack-trigger-shifters

“WEIGHT 260g pair
    SPEEDS 9/8
    COMPATIBILITY 2:1 Shimano®”

V.S.

X7

https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/products/sram-x7-9-speed-trigger-shifters

“RECOMMENDED GROUP SRAM 1:1® rear derailleurs, SRAM, Shimano® front derailleurs”

a17esh
    Free Member

Looks like i’ll be going ten speed then. 🙂

Whats your preference, sram or shimano? Or they just as good as each other?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

😛 Campag*

*Honestly, I’ve never owned a SRAM groupset, soz.

Stevet1
    Free Member

what was wrong with the X7 mech again?

a17esh
    Free Member

I think I prefer sram, just last longer….even tho i’ll be replacing the my broken sram with shimano.

The tension on my scram was not pulling the chain back and leaving it slack…..not the main spring you see, but the one near the top coz hidding under the body….so its a bin job. darn it. Sram leaver just feel super solid….or maybe its just not as smooth as Shimano.

I guess if it works it work….doesnt matter what label its got on it.

a17esh
    Free Member

Campag is some serious money…….I’m not good enough to own that lol.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Yeti asr 5 and XT grrrr’ is closed to new replies.